RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Enex [Complete!]

Rep: +0/-0Level 62

GAME DOWNLOAD: Enex2 Download (Version 1.2)

One day, after sermon, you realize that your brother Brendan has gone missing. Though you begin this day by searching for your brother, it ends with you finding yourself the target of some strange conspiracy which earns you the ire of the powerful Carillean Kingdom, which seems to believe that you are a dark preacher of the forbidden god, Skiack.  By seeking out supernatural aid, as well as accepting the aid of new friends met along the way, will you be able to prove your innocence and perhaps even get to the bottom of just what is happening in Carille's government?

Enex is basically a Low-Gimmicks RPG. It is simple and the main goal at all points of the game is fun. The focus is on giving the player the feel of being in an expansive world that begs to be explored. Exploring through dungeons is more than simply making your way from point A to point B, but are frequently based around puzzles and almost always contain a dungeon challenge, a minigame which will your test your reflexes to earn your survival!

As another step to prevent the tedium that is so often found in RPG games, all enemies are visible on the map before they are faced. They can be snuck around instead of fought. However, once slain, most monsters do not return. This means that in most cases, the EXP that can be earned has a cap. It is not my intention to encourage "grinding" in this game, as I find the action to be dull and often trivializes the intentionally difficult encounters. One should feel safe to explore and backtrack, with little fear of having to face the same monster in the same place over and over again.

The game is jam packed with sidequests, optional content, and minigames. I dare someone to find everything without the help of the FAQ! Some examples of such optional content includes:
*A Mining/Ore Smelting/Fishing/Herb Gathering/Wood Gathering/Holy Water Blessing optional minigames, most of which are a test of reflexes. These profession skills can only be unlocked by performing a sidequest in certain towns, and then by playing a minigame to gather the materials.
*Hidden Wisdom Fountains throughout the world, those who can seek them out and answer their riddles are rewarded with strange stones.
*Optional bosses everywhere. Hunt down the Dragons to claim powerful equipment. Seek out and destroy the hidden and anguished Hades Spirits to earn the right to face the greatest challenge in the game.
*In almost every dungeon, there is a minigame challenge that must be completed to pass through. This ranges from catching rabbits to dodging falling rocks to avoiding a series of gouts of lava. Most of these are reflex based.

Enex features a small degree of character customization through its ability system. The skills known by the characters are determined not through your base level (which will determine your stats) but instead through a level of proficiency in that type of skill. All characters have two separate types of skills and will gain proficiency through using them. For example, the priest Farik is capable in both Bows and Healing Magic. One player who find themselves frequently using Farik to sling arrows at enemies will discover far more bow skills than healing magics. A different player might find himself with a balanced Farik, who is skilled both in the Bow and the Healing Art but masters neither, and a final, more conservative player might find his Farik somewhat green with his bow but holding great mastery in healing.

Enex contains many features. These include:
  • The Cybersam Sideveiw Battle System
  • A Majority of Semi-Custom (via sprite edit) Side Veiw Battlers
  • A Sidequest and Minigame for almost every town in the game
  • The mind-boggling Wisdom Fountains
  • Hidden and Powerful secret spells to discover
  • Deadly Side Bosses to combat, such as the Mighty Hades Spirits
  • A Unique Custom Skill Levelling system- Learn more special attacks by USING special attacks!
  • An exceptionally large and vast world
  • A Visible Encounter System with a event coded veiw range function
  • A very long capacity for playtime
  • XK8's custom menu system
Everyone loves screenies!
Spoiler for Screenshots:

Beneath the dark stormclouds that hang above the Divinis Monestary, a crowd of clerics try their best to hold strong against the ever present Putrefaction: beings of rot and decay who flow from the nearby swamps of the Ninurta Stagnants. Can you keep your pool's sanctity high enough until it matures into fully fledged Holy Water before the Putrefaction succeed in transforming it into a pool of filth?
The darkness caused by the ever-present storm makes it a bit of a challenge to see The Putrefaction, as they are black. The key would be to identify them by the glowing eyes, and not to allow them to sneak up.

You will explore far off lands, discovering new people and their strange customs.

The Stagnant Caves are a series of putrid tunnels found in the Ninurta Stagnants. Ooze and abomination lurk in every corner, and you will have to walk through these confusing tunnels in which no human is ever welcome.

Using your skills of stealth, learned from the thieves Ralla and Theo, sneak through the hostile city of Carille unnoticed.

Those lucky enough to have earned the Treasure Hunter Isaac's assistance will find him invaluble in discovering hidden underground chests. Step within 4 units of a buried treasure and Isaac will alert you, telling you treasure is close by. Find the exact spot of the treasure's location and Isaac will dig it up for you. Who knows what wonderful items you could earn, secretly scattered throughout the world?

Watch out for possible hostiles while exploring the world! Will you sneak past them, cowardly run away, or face them bravely head-on?

Solve a simple sliding block puzzle in order to open the tomb.

The Fimbeln Glacis is a land of towering mountains and ever-present ice. Found within it here is a reflex based minigame where you must cross a gaping chasm. Your mage has managed to create a delicate ice bridge using his magic. Of course, constructing the ice bridge is very difficult, and cannot be made perfectly. As such the blocks tend to be a.. scattered. If you step on the ice bridge, the slipperyness will cause you to constantly be moving forward, so don't slip off! Theo can blow gusts of win at you to make you do a Jump up, right, left, or down 2 spaces. The reason the bridge appears to be missing the south block to get your character over there, is that as you step on a block it melts very shortly after, causing you unable to jump backwards and forwards over and over again to think for a bit.

Deeper in the Fimbeln region lies a frozen cave with magma running through it. How does the ice remain unmelted? Some say it may have something to do with the strange rumors of a particularly vicious haunt dwelling in the cave. Some claim it some strange phantasm of fire, while others claim it has an ice like affinity. Other say there are, in fact, TWO wretched spirits living in the cave.

Heres the last picture from Ninurta that I will be posting, as I've posted enough from this area (It's really not THIS rainy. Its just that I keep taking pictures in one place XD). "Fungrots" are sending deadly sporeclouds in the air and Theo must burn them all before it's too late!

Spoiler for Lore: Legend of Creation:
It is said that upon the creation of the world, the two most powerful gods of the God's Realm emerged to the new universe and threw two plant seeds upon the world. The seed thrown by Wa, God of Virtue and Light, grew until the omniscient and benevolent Grand Tree. The seed thrown by SKiack, God of Evil and Shadow, grew into the twisted and terrible Great Shadow Tree. The Grand Tree then created life on the world, making all the animals, humans, and other sentient races. The Great Shadow Tree, devious and vile, corrupted these beautiful creations to create the monsters that dwell to this day.

The Monsters overwhelmed the world, and the Grand Tree began to plead for help. Wa once again emerged and shone his light upon the terrible creatures, restoring the balance of the realm once again. To prevent such a outburst of monsters again, Wa gathered a special groups of Humans and Elves and touched them. They became The Blessed, and defended the world.

It is said the the blood of the Blessed still runs among us to this day, unfortunantly it has become so dilute that one no longer has any way of observing it directly such as it was in the old days. However, it is said that those very Descendants will always have the power to triumph over evil.

Spoiler for Lore: Story Of The Heroes:
As the myth goes, thousands of years past, a hero was born long ago in the then-thriving and quite populated village of Bedalni. Upon his cradle on his birth was the unexplainable carving of a tree, and the word "Enex". Normally, Enex would be a rather strange name as the the subcontinent that they dwelled on was named Enexia, but the parents of this child took it as a sign. Soon after during a raid on the village by Ogres, Enex passed out, and with a blinding flash, destroyed all the Ogres. Completely unaware of what had happened while passed out, he told others he had dreamt of a Giant Tree with a comforting presence. This was taken as a sign among the villagers and they sent him to destroy the Ogres.

Enex did so, and did it gracefull, employing the help of his intellectual yet sociall awkward friend Eros, his kind and shy friend Claria, his callous yet powerful friend Rel, and the assistance of a exiled Elf named Fyres who, exiled for commiting murder among his tribe, has an extreme lust for battle and decided joining Enex in driving the Ogres away would satisfy him.

After driving away the Ogres, Enex began hearing a voice in his mind telling him to move to the nearby city of Carille. He convinced his friends (and Fyres, who still lusted more battle) to join him. Reaching Carille, Claria, being very religious, announced that she devised that the reason for Enex's dreams of the Tree and the voice urging him to Carille was most likely The Grand Tree, the most powerful influence of Light and Benevolence in this realm, second only to Wa. He became accompanied by once of Carrile's most cowardly knights, Sir Tal.

Enex ventured through the Enchanted Forest located near Carille and discovered the Grand Tree, who told him he was sick due to the evil emanations of The Great Shadow Tree, and it was time to destory the menace once and for all.

First it was neccesary to destroy The Great Shadow Tree's three most powerful henchmen, the Three Shadow Demons, who were wreaking havoc on the world. The Salt Demon was found in the vicinity of what is now Salinry, absorbing the salt from the river's source and killing all the fish of the lake and ruining it. Enex slayed the Salt Demon and returned the salt to lake. Next he slew the Forest Demon, with the help of Bedalni's head bishop, Lufredis. This terrible demon fed on the soul of the most learned studier of plants of all time, The Botanist. He then moved to a small island on Lake Saline to destroy the Coral Demon, the final of the three.

With them dead, Enex forces his way into the elusive Shadow Forest with the help of the mysterious shadow mage, Rekkesh.

The Great Shadow Tree sended wave after wave of swisted moster and undead fiend to stop Enex as the heros, but they banded together. Enex, swinging his sword with the blessing of the Grand Tree behind him, felled the foes in front him with quiet intensity. Eros, who stood in the back line, threw fire and ice spells to the terrible plantlife that threatened our beloved team. Claria, with her healing spells, ran from ally to ally, giving a breath of life to the wounded. Rel, with a gleam of hate in his eyes, drew his double longswords and slashed the forest to bits. Fyres, revelling in the bloodshed, sent a storm of arrows upon the terrible demons. Sir Tal, with bravery normally unknown to him, crashed into the enemies in his heavy armor and lance, leaving a trail of trampled and flattened corpses in his path.Lufredis, muttering a prayer to Wa under his breath, cremated the vile creatures to ashes with his divine magic, the bright glory of wa shining through even the shadows of this forest. And in the back, quietly stood Rekkesh, whos mere presence was often enough to drive the enemy insane with fear and flee.

At last, The Eight Heroes had reached the ancient temple to the Great Shadow Tree. Before entering, each honorable hero pledged to fight to the death to defeat the wicked menace of a tree. Upon entering, an epic battle ensued. The Great Shadow Tree was the most powerful thing for the heroes to ever have faced, but it was eventually brought down. As it withered and died, it cursed the name of Enex and the Grand Tree, and justice was restored.

It is said that Enex and his group then ventured to the world of Gaiallius, to restore justice and peace wherever chaos ruled. Battling viscious demon after next, some go so far as to say that Enex crossed swords with the terrible god of shadow, Skiack himself, and returned victiorious.

That of course, is how the well known myth goes, often told as a bedtime story today. Many accept the story as truth and a shining example of virtue. Others go so far as the worship the heroes, building massive Temples to portray their glory, and a few skeptics deny their existance.

Spoiler for Characters:
You:
Proficiency: Swords & Bardic Inspiration
Class: Bard
Hometown: Bedalni

A rather ordinary and calm young adult, you were just interested in living a simple farm life in Bedalni. However, this has all changed and you has been thrust upon a vast and unfamiliar world.

Farik:
Proficiency: Bows & Healing Magic
Class: Priest
Hometown: Yibinroh

A virtuous goody-goody religious fanatic of Wa. He tends to be a bit cowardly and wimpy, but is quite the sharpshooter. Though he often complains about the conditions of the adventure, Farik knows he fights in the name of holy Wa and would never disapoint his god.

Theo:
Proficiency: Evocation and Cosmic Arcana
Class: Evoker
Hometown: Salinry

An intelligent and mature companion to Ralla, he seems to follow in Ralla's devious lifestyle, though with objection. Theo rarely gets upset, frightened, or excited and prefers to keep a cool head when disaster strikes. He wishes to do the right thing as much as possible, but seems to be failing due to the negative influence from Ralla. When sharing stolen goods or being convinced by Ralla to perform yet another heist, he reminds himself that not everyone is perfect and tries to view himself as more as a Robin Hood than anything else.

Ralla
Proficiency: Daggers and Bombs
Class: Rogue
Hometown: Salinry

A impulsive and rude theif, Ralla has no reservations against robbing or mugging anyone with enough money. Her first thought is always "I wonder what he/she has to steal from." She almost never thinks of others, but would never abandon her best friend, Theo. She is able to convince him to follow in her schemes only because they do not wish to be seperated. However, it is this for the same reason that Theo is able to drag her into helping you and Farik - a seeming deviance from her usual selfish and uncaring lifestyle.

Spoiler for Credits:
Game Development
Eric Hornby

Resources and Scripts
Megaflare, $t3v0, Namco, Chrono trigger series,
Final Fantasy series, Sharp, mack, Arcanum, Ccoa,
Tana, Fallen Angel, Faraway, MSJ, Ragnorok Online,
Nin, Punk, Legendarydairy, Go Shiina, Sainte,
Enterbrain, Kraft, Mascarpone, landofshadows,
Mezmerize, Zephyrskye, Zanyzora, Despain,
JStreet ("panda"), Wyatt ("Princess Amy"), Raiju, Rye, Euphony,
Arcthemonkey, jbrist, scriptkitty, Cybersame,
Raitame, Near Fantastica, Deke, Phylomortis,
Illustrationism, Milo, Reruri Chan, Pocketmage,
Poyzin, Ellenor, Luis Dlouhy, EQLSO, Automaton,
Kan Gao

Testing
Cef (of Freebird Game's Forum)
Luis Dlouhy
Leighton Schlanger
Brandon Meyer
Michael Laguros
Lucas Heath

Special Thanks
HBGames.org community
KamainsWorld community
All my real life friends who cared enough to play my game while I was making it.
"Master of the Wind" game for inspiration.
"Quintessence: The Blighted Venom" game for inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:17:21 AM by erichermit »

Enex: The Hero's Shadow, a game which boasts past 40 hours of gameplay!

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I am inclined to be a beta tester, as that Icecave, with lava screenshot blows my mind.

I'm not the best RPG player however, so I'll surely be unable to speed through the game. But I can definitely find bugs and grammar and what not.

But where can I find the original?

The original is likely to do little but bring me shame, but I'll refer it here if you or someone else happens to find the curiosity somehow insatiable. I recommend you enjoy that Enex II beta before you touch Legend of the Hero (the name of the prequel.) I consider Enex I to be more of a "for fans of Enex II" kind of deal.

Here is a link to Legend of the Hero, which I have just recently uploaded to this site.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,44782.msg506070.html#msg506070

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Your mapping is quite nice. Good work so far and I look forward to seeing the full version!

Hello RMRK.

This has been a long time delayed. Far too long. With a desire for perfection I remade and remade Enex2 (I would say the game has been entirely reworked at least 3 times.) Never feeling like the game was suitable for release, I always could think of one or three more things that the game totally and absolutely needed before I could release it.

However, this desire for perfection was flawed, because I could never reach it. Eventually I burned out and tucked the game shamefully away in a corner.  This is true no more, however! While the game is by no means perfect, and I certainly can think of at least 3 ways I'd like to make it better, I unfortunately live in the real world where there are many different activities and ideas that vie for my attention. That is why I have chosen to finally release this game.

If I had to make a wild estimate, I'd say this game was finished more than 3 years ago. I worked on it for years. I have literally spent thousands of hours on this endeavor, and I hope you will enjoy it!

Game Download Link: Enex2 Download (Version 1.2)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:17:41 AM by erichermit »

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
Installer freezes upon extracting GAME.rgssad... Tried it three times now, and I know that it's possible that for some reason my computer doesn't like the file, but.. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3

You were right, Spirit. Turns out I botched the compression. I've fixed the link. Actually decided to go with a non-encrypted version anyway. Sorry for the trouble, hope you enjoy the game!

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Hmm. You have my attention.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 72
~Few people understand the beauty of the night~
2014 Best Topic
*goes to download it again*
Download http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm5v281q6E1qde50fo1.mp3