RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Scripting tutorial

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Hello everybody, I hope its not too much to request scripting tutorials like in w3schools.com, because I cant clearly understand scripting in other tutorials and I tried, I learn Java and its pretty easy but nothing from scripting{ruby language?} is like in Java.
please can someone make a tutorial that explains commands in scripting, what they do and how can I use them step by step with examples if its not too much to ask.
other tutorials don't give examples of the commands and what they do, and if they give examples they are too difficult to understand for someone who only starts with scripting, I wish to learn scripting so I can actually make a game that is worth playing, I can understand how to pixel, draw and color on computer logos with Photoshop and other programs, but I cant learn scripting with the current tutorials online, I checked many before writing this and I didn't fully understand them.
I hope that someone will make an easy step by step tutorial for people like me.
thank you for reading this and I hope someone will help  :)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:18:48 AM by Deadly Alince »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I've never watched them, but I have heard mostly good things about GubiD's scripting tutorials: http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=44501

Some people have informed me there are errors. There is also apparently one by Pacman, but I always forget to look at it and then it magically vanishes. But I'm sure they are good too and should be on this site somewhere.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
There is also apparently one by Pacman, but I always forget to look at it and then it magically vanishes.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,43380.0.html, you silly man.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Looking at pure Ruby tutorials can also help you. There are way more of them after all.

I am looking for pure ruby tutorials but so far I didn't find a tutorial for beginners  :P

I understand scripting a little better but still I don't know how to use them, lets say I want to create my own main menu, add options, make a build character option with a resource folder.
Is there a tutorial that can teach me how to create my own scripts???
by the way that is a good tutorial Pacman I hope you make more  :)

I did try GubiD's tutorials but the YouTube is blurry and and I cant see what he writes clearly so I have syntax errors in the scripts I try to copy to understand ruby from him, I prefer tutorials like the once Pacman is making, since I can understand the commands better, following examples is easy when they are clear and with GubiD's tutorials I didn't manage to get the scripts done correctly.
And I am reading pure ruby tutorials now on "http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/simple_constructs.html", And I still cant understand from that how to create my own script/Class that will be used in RMVX, on top of it when I look in the scripts in RMVX I get lost pretty easily in the context.
any advice?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:05:51 AM by Deadly Alince »

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween