RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
(RPG 2003) I'm an absolute beginner at this redux

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
Hi folks,

My friend has been bugging me to get and play around with RPG maker for some time so I finally picked it up.

I'm making a (hopefully) simple standard fantasy RPG just to try my hand. Got my story planned out, done some doodles, made up some sprites etc.

But now it comes to actually making the game and I'm at something of a loss. My only experience with this sort of 'programming' is with the Warcraft 3 editor years ago.

Sorry for the long-winded intro.

Actual problem starts here:
I'm starting my game, playing with simple events trying to figure out what does what.

I have a dialog tree and then a couple of guys join the party, I want their sprites to disappear once they're in the party menu.

I tried turning on a switch and then setting their sprites to 'Erase Event', I tried teleporting them to somewhere out of the way but all my attempts just stop the whole thing from working.

Not really sure what I'm doing, I checked in the tutorials archive but didn't find anything of use.

Hope this is in the right place, apologies if it is not.

If someone could point towards some super-noob tutorials that'd be great.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:17:47 PM by Tariff »

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Make a second page in each character event with nothing set as a sprite. Check the switch box under the event conditions in the top left and select the switch you want to use. When you want the characters to disappear, turn that switch on.

RMRK Junior
Ugh so simple, I am really bad at this. Ah well I'm sure I'll improve with practice.

Thanks very much

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
No problem. :D
Everyone has to start somewhere.

RMRK Junior
I'm just gonna update this topic as I come across new issues; saves me clogging the board everytime I have a problem (which will likely be frequently.)

I've come to the point in the game where I need to start coding skills and battle stuff, I can make the basic single target skills and spells, just follow the ones in the game, easy enough.

But now I need to work out how to do more complex skills. Starting easy; I wan't a skill which causes the user to attack a single target twice in a row. I can use the Enable Combo command to play the attack animation twice I guess, no problem there. However, I'm having trouble finding a way to to make the game detect I'm using the skill; if I make a switch skill there's no where to input damage values, and trying to use variables (Hero's attack * 2) doesn't let me target the same enemy as the hero.

tl;dr I'm trying to make a multi-hit, single target ability what options do I have?

Also I noticed that there's only space for 100 switches/variables etc. for the entire game. That seems kinda limiting? Or is there a way to add more?

Thanks in advance.

Rep:
Level 82
When in the Variables or Switches menu - where you name them - there's a button that says 'Array Size'. Click it, and change the number to what you want. Default maximum is 5000 of each.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

RMRK Junior
Ah 5000 is much more reasonable, I won't have to start thinking up ways of reusing switches now, cheers.

If a dual/multi-hit skill is impossible to create in 2003 how about a skill which simply deals damage equal to (the heros attack x 2), that's functionally the same. Setting the Attack influence to 10 means the skill will deal damage equal to the heros right? Anyway to increase it to 200%?

Oh and is the 'Effect Rating' the base amount of damage the skill will do before applying the Influences?

Never mind, done it myself, thanks for the help folks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:22:00 PM by Tariff »