RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Tutorials Help [2K3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
So...I just tried to replicate this tutorial, as I've been wanting to add puzzles to my game for quite a while (and may go back to fix up older maps to make said puzzles).

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/495/

Now, I didn't get any errors from this when I had it on the original debug map I made it on. When I moved all of the events to a new map just to test that event alone (one for the normal version, another for having the player step on the switches themselves), either stepping on the switches or trying to move the boulders resulted in the "Event script referenced an event that does not exist." error popping up...which makes NO sense, as I even redid the entire tutorial from scratch in the same room, and still got the same error. It makes no sense seeing as...the only event for the boulder is, you check it, and it moves away from the hero while making a sound. I don't see how that would not be referenced at all...

The other tutorial I was trying to do (which I got working for the MOST part...save for making the switches actually show which switch is being pushed so you can memorize it) is this one:

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/523/

As I posted there:

"So I'm confused to this somewhat. Let me see if I understand this since I'm trying this very exact thing (but I'm using different variables obviously. For mine I'm using 949 for the Step Tmp, 950 for Step Ptr, and 950-955 for Steps 1-6.

Now, if you use the Variable Reference, what I'm understanding is that if say, Variable Reference points to 1, and Variable 1 has a value of 5, it'll instead point to the value of variable 5. And with Value Stored in Index, if the variable used for Value Stored in Index is 5, it'll instead point to the value of Variable 5?

I'm trying to come up with new puzzles and whatnot to use for my game as to spice it up, as there hasn't really been any puzzles as of yet in it. This whole concept has me confused though @_@"

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't think that these would've caused this much of a headache, especially after half of the other crap I've done in the past couple years for my game, but my lord this is just annoying. This is where I really wish I had people to help me more with coding a bit @_@
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:45:55 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 82
Let's see...

In the Variable to Change box (the top one on Variable Operations), you have 3 choices: Single Variable, Variable Range and Variable Reference.

Single Variable and Variable Range you will probably be familiar with already. Variable Reference is a little different.

If I have a Variable [0001] called 'Number 5' which holds the integer '5', and I have another Variable [0002] called 'Number 1' which holds the integer '1'. If I use Variable Reference and select Variable [0002] and Set it's value to 3, then Variable [0001] ('Number 5') will now contain the number 3 and not 5. Variable [0002] will remain unchanged.
What it does is make a reference to the variable with the same ID as the value contained in the referenced variable and performs on the operation on that variable.
If that makes any sense. The Help file describes it as:

Changes the variable whose ID is equal to the value of the selected variable. For example, if a variable with value "5" is selected, the change will be carried out on variable 0005.

Which is probably 10x easier to understand than my example.

Value Stored in Index is described as:

The value is set to the value of the variable whose ID matches the selected variable. For example, if variable 0005 was selected, and the value in variable 0005 was 2, the value in variable 0002 would be used. To select the variable used

So if I have these two variables:

0002  - which contains the number 4
0005  - which contains the number 2

and set the operation to be :

Single Variable 0006
Set Equal
Value Stored in Index Variable 0005

Then variable 0006 will equal 4, because that's what the variable with the same ID as the value contained in the chosen variable 0005.

So, yeah, what you understood is correct as far as I am understanding it - I just figured going through it like that would make sure I got it too.

It's a little confusing I think to use them, and probably not worth the hassle you might end up facing. Figuring out bugs when making heavy use of this type of variable operation could be an explosive nightmare.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
It is confusing for me, since it would bounce variables all over the place and make it hard to keep track of. Though to be able to do a Memorization puzzle would be a nice touch I think...I'm not sure how else one would go about doing so. I'm sure this is just one method of doing so, but argh...that is all.

Which means the variables I'm using would never work properly to begin with for this or something...or I think they do, yet for my example, the only thing that DOESN'T work right is the switches showing themselves being pressed at all (in the tutorial's example project, you could tell which switch to press since the event pressed them in the order you needed to memorize. Mine does not do that for whatever reason).