RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
FFID

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
Greetings all, I thought I would start a thread to my upcoming, second RPG Maker project, FF ID. But first some administrative notes to hopefully answer some questions and quiet some grumbling:

1. Yes this is going to be a Final Fantasy fan project.
2. No, it's not going to be some generic RTP-using Final Fantasy in name only nonsense. I have a deep, abiding love for the first 6 FF games, and this is to be my tribute to them. It will look, feel, sound, and play like an old-school FF game.
3. This is only my second project, so I will be looking for noob-type advice.
4. This game will be epic in scope, and I would love help, but if I have to do it all myself, I will, regardless of how long it takes.
5. This game will contain many of the FF staples/archetypes/cliches such as traveling to a second world/ruined world, 4 elemental fiends/crystals/orbs, deranged villains, amnesia, etc.... So please don't hit me with any negative comments about these elements unless you feel that I am failing to properly pay tribute to the old-school FF games.

So here's the overview: The first 6 chapters will each stand alone and feature very different characters and stories:

Chapter 1: Will Follow characters from a clan of ninjas during the events of a 4-way ninja war.
Chapter 2: Will Follow a group of "Treasure Hunters" searching for valuable relics.
Chapter 3: Will Follow some black mages as they search for a book of power
Chapter 4: Will Follow a white mage and her paladin protector as they search for the hero of the prophecy
Chapter 5: Will follow ???
Chapter 6: Will follow ???

At the end of each of these chapters we will find out more about some great evil/calamity that is causing the events in the game.

Chapter 7 will be the meeting of one character from each of the first chapters meeting and beginning a journey to investigate the big evil issue. Then in true FF fashion we will have the big, apocalyptic event followed by the final chapters during which the evil will be vanquished and order restored (probably)

I would love to hear any input, and I will post updates as they come.

Maps:
Spoiler for:
Here is the world map for Chapter 1

Characters:
Spoiler for:
Here are character synopsises and graphics as they are completed

Protagonist #1 (Tentative name "Blade")
Weapon: Dual-wield swords.
Living a life of relative luxury as the prince of the fire clan, he comes across as somewhat shallow and self-centered. However, the near annihilation of his people awakens a desire for vengance that transitions into a desire to protect and rebuild his clan. Ultimately he is compelled to venture out on his own to search out the villian that is behind the issues that have plagued the four ninja clans. This is the character that will move on to Chapter 7...
Overworld sprites, recolor/tweak of Edge from FFIVTown/dungeon sprites, recolor/tweak of Edge from FFIV (sideview), up and down views recolors/tweaks of NPCs from FFVI.

Protagonist #2 (Tentative name "Shadow")
Weapon: Claws
Best friend of pro#1 and the fire clan's best assassin, he is a quiet and dangerous man. However, as the story progesses, we see another side of him as he becomes involved in a surprising romance.
Overworld sprites, made from scratchTown/dungeon sprites, recolor/tweak of Shadow from FFVI

Protagonist #3 (Tentative name "Edge")
Weapon: Battle axe.
The clan's second in command, he is devastated by the loss of his family, but struggles to do his duty. He deals with his grief by helping pro#1 become the leader he needs to be, and spearheads the rebuilding process.
Overworld sprites were made from scratchTown/dungeon sprites, sideview are recolors/tweaks of Galuf from FFV, up and down were made from scratch

Protagonist #4
Weapon: Nunchucks/flails.
Pro#1's sister, she is outspoken and obstinate. Eventually, she gets over herself and takes leadership of the clan during the rebuilding process
Overworld sprites are frakensprites/recolors from FFIV/FFVTown/dungeon sprites, recolors/tweaks of Terra from FFVI

Protagonist #5
Weapon: Spears/staffs.
Princess of the water clan, she is betrothed to pro#1 at the beginning of the story. However, their mutual dislike for each other causes them to call this off.
Overworld sprites are frakensprites/recolors from FFIV/FFVTown/dungeon sprites, recolors/tweaks of Celes from FFVI

Steps:
Spoiler for:
1. Character design on Chapter One protagonists
2. Create walking animations for towns/dungeons
3. Create walking animations for worldmap
4. Create events/switches for switching graphics when moving from/to worldmap
5. Create tileset for first town (Red clan)
6. Create red clan town
7. Character design on red clan NPCs
8. Create animations for red clan NPCs
9. Create opening scene
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:35:53 PM by unkllmnky69 »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I normally hate fan games, but your world map is pretty damn impressive. I also like the idea of chaptering the game with mini-stories, and then bringing them together. Its very Dragon Quest-esque. I don't have any advice, but good luck!

Rep: +0/-0Level 65
RMRK Junior
I normally hate fan games, but your world map is pretty damn impressive. I also like the idea of chaptering the game with mini-stories, and then bringing them together. Its very Dragon Quest-esque. I don't have any advice, but good luck!

Thanks a bunch for the well wishes ^-^ Like I said, this is NOT going to be anything like a normal bleh fan-game. And keep in mind, that's only 1/8ish of the world map. :blizj:

Rep:
Level 69
RESIDENT ADONKADONK
Well, I have joined in this projects development. Really just eventer and eventing advice.

I'm back.

Rep:
Level 83
Love SOSA
That world map is HUGE. And that's only 1/8th of it? That's a big project you have on your hands there. Just don't overdo it. ;)