RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPGM VX: Death by Caterpillar!

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
I apologize if this has been solved before, but a thorough search proved fruitless. 

I would like to use a caterpillar script like Woratana's, but when a character in the caterpillar dies the graphic does not reflect his changed status.  I created semi-transparent doubles for my characters and facesets and set to work trying to get them to trigger.  I would like any advice from those more skilled than I (e.g. everyone) on whether I am doing this the right way.

I started by creating a common event for a test character.  This event was on parallel process and triggered by a switch activated before the battle (in theory, it could be activated when the game first starts).  If the test character's state was "dead," it changed his graphic and faceset to the transparent version, creating a ghost image of the character.  I then tested it in a battle and killed him, and sure enough, it worked. 

However, I'm having difficulty resetting the graphic when I revive him.  The same process in reverse simply doesn't work.

I think the best way to do this would be to avoid using a common event and have it operate on a simple switch, but I don't know how to do that.  In theory, it would have to be triggered in a battle, but it needs to work in random, unscripted battles as well.  Is there a script for this already?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
It may be silly to answer my own post, but I figured it out only after posting.  If anyone is curious:

I created a common event called "Death Check."  This event has a conditional branch for each character, regardless of whether they're in the party.  If the character's state is "dead," then it changes the graphic to the transparent ones.  If not, it "changes" the graphic to the normal one, even if it's not really a change at all.  In each troop's battle event, I included a page that triggers at the end of each turn.  In this event page, I call the common event "Death Check." 

The process is reversed by having any item or skill that revives a character also call this common event. 

Does anyone have a better idea?  Have I missed something that will bite me later?