RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Gil/Coin Toss Ability, as well as a couple other abilities [2K3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Welp, it works perfectly fine for me now! Hurray! (Also, it only gave me 1 gold when I equipped it. Oh well, not like that's a big issue or anything!

Next big project (which is what most of these accessories are going to be for) is to make a crafting system, hence why I was asking about these. Really do appreciate all of the help ^^;

Rep:
Level 85
Ok....so new problem! I said that the HP+ code worked right? Well...it does....for one character. If I copy the code and put it for another character, then it bugs up badly. As in....the character equipped with said item will constantly gain HP, and the others will constantly lose HP.

I'll just screenshot for ya.

The code is exactly the same in every other character (with differences to make it so that it would work for them). I really hope that I don't have to make multiple switches to do this right for each character....

EDIT - Looking at the coding again, I think I know why it's doing that. Because the others don't have one equipped, it turns the switch off, and then Reimu having it on turns it back on, and thus it loops....blerg....I'm going to have to use multiple switches aren't I? Or would it be possible to use variables instead for this so as to not waste anymore switches than I already have? @_@

EDIT EDIT - Seems I managed to get it working via using different variables per character. Guess that takes care of that, but man, that's gonna be a lot of work lol x_x
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:23:53 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
Glad you fixed it. I was gonna say...., "You do notice your using the same switch for each character right...?"

You think that's hard? Can't wait for you to try to make your crafting system. XD
I've made a upgrading weapon system (designed for each item in the game to be upgraded). Took some work but I made it very easy to add new item entry's to it (I only did 1 weapon, but could easily add more).
Also made a system to where you would find a certain kind of "metal" where you you would make random accessory's out of them.
I gave up on both of them though, because I found it severely limited selection wise. Like, for upgrading a weapon, I had to check the weapon equipped to the said character. I would rather you be able to actually select it in inventory. I don't think that is possible though. Would require a custom menu (I'm capable of making one, but I really don't feel like it, too much work). xD
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:11:54 AM by RikaPSO »

Rep:
Level 85
I'd like to make a custom menu myself (it'd be NICE to actually have the in-game timer somewhere....I might make an item that'll let you see for how long you've been playing or something at the very least...).

I expect the crafting system to take me a long time to do...I really do. But I'm probably going to stick to 3 items max per item (with varying amounts of course). In a way, it'll be similar to FFIX's Synthesis, but more like Genius of Sappheiros' system (which is what I'm aiming for more or less). Though I'll have to figure out what exactly to do for what each. Not only that, need to figure out just how many accessories I WANT to make now that I can do % on stats (why they didn't include that for characters on things like they do for enemies, I'll never understand...).

I forgot that I had one variable for each playable character in the game, and I don't think they're being used for anything anyways, so thought I'd make use of them. Best part? They can be used for each accessory at that~ Not sure if I'd do this for character-exclusive equipment or not though...

It's funny...some of the stuff I've done I figured out on my own after a while (Blue Magic system after implementing it from a tutorial, then implementing % chances to learn and whatnot; skill upgrade system which was a PAIN to do...about 1500 switches used for that, not even joking...hence why I'm apprehensive about using switches right now since I'm only 50% done with my game, storyline wise with no real sidequests done yet), yet I have trouble with simpler things. Makes no sense I tell you! @_@

Rep:
Level 85
Here's one that's got me confused. So I'm trying to make a Teleport ability...so that if you use it in the dungeon, it'll teleport you to outside of the dungeon. Now, I have an ability set to Teleport as its Type, and I tried doing a Teleport Management (Parallel Process). But when I try to use the skill in the menu, it's grayed out. I'm not sure if THAT'S how you're supposed to do it for teleports or not, but any help on this would be nice if possible @_@

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
Here's one that's got me confused. So I'm trying to make a Teleport ability...so that if you use it in the dungeon, it'll teleport you to outside of the dungeon. Now, I have an ability set to Teleport as its Type, and I tried doing a Teleport Management (Parallel Process). But when I try to use the skill in the menu, it's grayed out. I'm not sure if THAT'S how you're supposed to do it for teleports or not, but any help on this would be nice if possible @_@

Wow, never actually tried to make a teleport spell before. Not many options from what I see... o-o
Maybe it teleports you to where you last saved? No idea.
Anyway here is my remedy.

Make the skill trigger a switch (let's say 0001). Now have a parallel process checking for the switch. Now have a variable get the map id. Make a handler for each map (where to teleport to based on the map). Also make a handler for maps not allowed to be teleported out of (or a event that shouldn't be teleported out of). I got it to allow me to teleport to another map so you should be able to do this.
Don't forget to turn the switch off.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:17:26 AM by RikaPSO »

Rep:
Level 85
I'll take a look into that later to see how it works. Need to at least fix other things before that (since that won't be used for a while yet).

So, here's the NEW one, going back to stat bonuses. So, I need someone to test this out for debugging purposes.

Don't give the weapon any speed to start off with. Need at least one or two other party members aside from the user of this weapon. Need at least one helmet, shield, armor, and accessory that increases speed (for what I did, I had a +20 speed on the armor, +50 speed on an accessory, +10 speed on a shield, and +80 speed on a helmet as a test). I forget EXACTLY what I did, but try one of the following:

A) Equip weapon, then equip the stat boosting equipment, exit, and return to menu, remove weapon, leave menu, then return to check speed.
B) Equip stat boosting equipment first, then weapon. Then exit and return, unequip equipment, then weapon.

If the weapon is the only thing equipped and unequipped, the thing works perfectly fine. However, I noticed that by doing one of the other methods, sometimes it'll reduce speed INCORRECTLY to the wrong values instead of the original value. I'm not sure how to fix this (and I'm sure it'll be like this for other stat bonus weapons that coincide with other stat bonus equipment...). Any suggestions on how to fix this up at all?

I've also noticed that sometimes, I have to enter and exit the menu twice in order for the changes to take place when equipping/unequipping these types of weapons. Not sure why either x_x

***EDIT***

Adding onto this...

So what I was aiming for was this. If the character has this weapon equipped, and anytime they are in Critical HP, their attack would be doubled as LONG as they stayed in critical (not continuously doubled mind you. Only doubled once), and once unequipped or above 75% HP, returns the strength stat back to its original stat. However, I have a feeling that this may coincide with other bonuses as per the previous problem, so not sure on how to fix this one until the above issue is resolved x_x
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:25:11 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
Here's a new idea...making an item that lets you view the map (but does not allow you to actually interact with anything, so your sprite is still on-screen, but your actual character is invisible and lets you move around the map, unable to pick up anything or start battles or leave the area). Any ideas on this? I was thinking of making an item that allows this (like say, using a Camera will let you look around the map so you can view your surroundings, then canceling it while in that mode will allow you to return to where you previously were).

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
With the first post regarding critical hp. Instead of doubling their stats, it would probably be easier to inflict a status effect that doubles their attack.
Then you don't have to worry bout your event stacking it.

For the map item. Have a item trigger a switch. Parallel process check for it. It should, make your sprite change invisible or use a sprite that is invisible or something, memorize your position, "move event" then turn phasing mode on. I think that should do it for actually moving. Now all you need is a button or something to turn it off, and undo everything and go back to the memorized position.

Rep:
Level 85
Hmm....but what about for keeping the player from moving to other screens or triggering other events, since I did have phasing mode off for testing purposes in some areas and was still able to go to other areas (or my tester did when they were bugtesting my game anyways...).

Rep:
Level 82
I came up with some kind of solution that makes use of Pan Screen but it's a little shabby and requires making a 'clone' of each tileset set to be completely impassible, then changing the current tileset whilst checking for key inputs to pan the screen - when Decision key is hit you'd reset everything and you're good to go again. Another problem in this is that the screen only moves 1 square per key press.

The other solution involves moving impassible events to surround the Hero sprite effectively preventing his movement - the big problem here is you can't have this impassible event move to a position where there's already an event in that position.

If you really want this idea to be there, though, this is what I had for the first solution. I've copied everything include the comments - feel free to change names.

Requirements:

Event: CameraPan  (copy and edit this for every map)

Switches:
Camera Pan OK
CannotUseCamera - in case you wanted to prevent use in certain areas

Variables:
CamKeyPress

Item - Switch ON: Camera Pan OK

Code: [Select]
<> Comment: CHECK - CANNOT USE ITEM
<> Branch if  Switch [CannotUseCamera] is ON
  <> Switch Operation: Camera Pan OFF
  <> Jump to Label: 2
  <>
: END
<> Comment: Setup
<> Main Menu Access: Forbid
<> Save Menu Access: Forbid
<> Change Map Tileset: World Map Lock <- this is the impassible clone tileset, change based on tileset
<> Comment: LOOP START
<> Label: 1
<> Move Event: Hero, Lock Facing
<> Key Input Proc: [KeyPress] <- with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 checked only
<> Comment: RETURN TO ORIGIN AND STOP
<> Branch if  Var [KeyPress] is 5
  <> Pan Screen: Reset Position, Speed 4 (Wait)
  <> Change Map Tilset: World Map
  <> Jump to Label: 2
  <>
: END
<> Comment: DOWN
<> Branch if  Var [KeyPress] is 1
  <> Pan Screen: Down 1 Tiles, Speed 4
  <> Jump to Label: 1
  <>
:END
<> Comment: LEFT
<> Branch if  Var [KeyPress] is 2
  <> Pan Screen: Left 1 Tiles, Speed 4
  <>
<> Comment: RIGHT
<> Branch if  Var [KeyPress] is 3
  <> Pan Screen: Right 1 Tiles, Speed 4
  <>
<> Comment: UP
<> Branch if  Var [KeyPress] is 4
  <> Pan Screen: Up 1 Tiles, Speed 4
  <>
<> Comment: END
<> Label: 2
<> Move Event: Hero, Unlock Facing
<> Save Menu Access: Allow
<> Main Menu Access: Allow

I dunno how useful it is/will be but it might lead to some other solutions.

Now to get one with some work. I'm not even sure why I decided to try this out - I guess working with 2k3 for a little while brings back fond memories from years ago.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 85
Hmm....that looks like it would work well. I'll give it a testrun tomorrow when I'm more refreshed and see how it works in the debug room. It would be simpler to just clone the tilesets and do that anyways as you said. I COULD alternatively also make it so that all of the events cannot be activated while the Camera item is in use. The problem I think though, is that even with the invisible hero code...it would still make it so that you could get into battles with it on...so I would probably have to go with your code to prevent that. @_@

Rep:
Level 82
Yeah, I had that entering-battle issue whilst testing it out before I forced menu to be disallowed. It's not a straight forward task with the limits that 2k3 has. Mostly have to figure out ways around problems rather than actually removing them outright.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 85
Actually, do battles still occur even with Phasing Mode On? I don't recall if they do or not @_@

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
Actually, do battles still occur even with Phasing Mode On? I don't recall if they do or not @_@

Yeah, they still do (just tested it, for me they still occurred anyway). I would just make the encounter rate 0 when using it.

Rep:
Level 85
I tried doing that with an accessory before (as mentioned somewhere else), and that didn't seem to work. Though I haven't really tried with the Phasing Mode business yet, but hey...if it works THIS way, then that'll make it better. I'd just have to remember to combine codes and whatnot (to make sure to return things to normal).

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
I tried doing that with an accessory before (as mentioned somewhere else), and that didn't seem to work. Though I haven't really tried with the Phasing Mode business yet, but hey...if it works THIS way, then that'll make it better. I'd just have to remember to combine codes and whatnot (to make sure to return things to normal).

About the accessory. Remember, "Debug" is your friend.
Just a simple message with debug can be extremely helpful. It let's you know if your event has even occurred. Something doesn't work? Try doin that. Now, if the message with it doesn't come up, odds are, there's a problem with it triggering, not the event itself.

I actually never knew about phasing mode till I posted it to ya. I just randomly looked. There are probably better ways then using phasing mode, but this is probably one of the easiest ways of doing what you wanna do.

Rep:
Level 85
I did try it in debug, and the message did pop up (continuously too since it was Parallel Process), but it still put me into random encounters IIRC. I don't know, it's just odd.

I could go with Logan's way, though with how big maps can get, going one space at a time would be cumbersome to do I think. If there's no real good way of doing this, I may just scrap it altogether, but I'll keep looking into it.

Rep:
Level 85
No, I haven't tried the Camera or teleport stuff yet (been busy finishing up the crafting system), but I'll probably get to those later. In the meantime, been trying to do a Zelda-esque type battle system (which may be used later on as a minigame or sidequest perhaps~). Been following this (though it's for 2k):

http://rpgmaker2000.narod.ru/faq/setpassworduses.txt

The Sword event works perfectly fine, but getting the Monster event to work right is tough (and I'm not even sure the Hurt effect for the character works either. There is no Step Backwards in 2K3 from what I'm seeing @_@).

***EDIT***

In addition to this, I am trying to figure out how to make it so that if your current overworld sprite is of a specific character, by hitting the OK key/button, it'll allow the player to use that character's field ability (which means I'd also like to find a way to shuffle the overworld sprites without having to go through using the Row command each time, but not sure if that'd be possible to do correctly or not).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:06:18 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
Here's a new one for you guys. Long long ago, I asked for help on making a Gravity/ra/ga spell, which works ok...but the problem now seems to be, that whenever the spell happens, the switch does NOT turn off until another attack is made. Which is strange as the turn off switch is IN the same battle event as the spell. So if Gravity is used by a monster, it turns on the Gravity switch, so the battle event happens for that (Calls the common event, then after that code the switch is supposed to turn off). However, I have tested this and this is not the case. If I let the monster use the spell then kill it on the very next turn, checking the debugger, the switch is still on regardless. I even have it in the Common Event for the coding on every instance I can think of for the switch to turn off, but it does not do this for any of the 3 spells. Any ideas as to why this may be? :<

Rep:
Level 66
RPG2k3 Meowster
Maybe your using the switch that's for something else by accident? Can't think of why it would do that. =x

Rep:
Level 85
Well, I found out the issue to this one too...which is really silly on my part. So...I know that having the monster USE the skill allows you to set a switch to turn on the coding right? And I know that you can have the skill set to a switch to allow you to turn on the switch for coding as well, right? Guess what was wrong...?

Yeah, I had both the skill as a switch turn on the coding's switch AND the monster using the skill doing the same thing. Though which one was causing it to stay on after the skill was used, I don't know. Having the monster not turn on the switch seems to make it work fine though...but it's just a bit silly imo.

Well, at least that solves that silly answer. Now to figure out the others~