RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMXP - Wondering about pos. game styles (w/Scripts) - shooters? parallax?

Rep:
Level 67
TheNeonHeart.com
So... I'm still learning RPG maker and figuring out what types of projects I want to make, and was just wondering about all the possibilities are available with RMXP. I have seen some interesting stuff around the web that says it's created with RPG Maker, just wondering if there is an introduction to the main types of games you can make.

Like, I've heard of something called Parallax but don't know much about it, something about a sky/building background and then just moving the character through the foreground like a side scroller? And also was wondering about different battle systems, like, instead of the turn based pre-programmed RMXP battle system, maybe a shoot-em-up game where you can pick up various weapons and just run around blasting or doing melee combat. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an overview of these and any other types, so I can see the options?
And if you stare for long enough into the abyss... you just might stare it down.

My Games: ExXception Draft
My Awesome Homepage The Neon Heart.com Host to My Writing / Music / Reviews / and More

Rep:
Level 69
Parallax is a background you set in map options and its just a background that moves to give depth effect, for top-view mellee and gunfighting you would probably use a lot of eventing and maybe a little scripting. For a first person shooter you would need a script that makes it 3D and maybe some heavy modification. Another style people also do is map turn-based, I think first person shooter would be very difficult to pull off tho.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
If you want a 2d hack and slash or shoot em up on RMXP, look up Blizzards Blizz-ABS.
If you want a 3D style game, well.. 3D has been "done" on RPG Maker, but most scripts are extremely limited. Like scalinger said, it's pretty difficult when working in the confines of RPG Maker, and ultimately RGSS in general.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
i think he meant a shooter like contra

Rep:
Level 67
TheNeonHeart.com
Yeah, I was thinking like contra. Just scroll/shoot in the regular rmxp map style and take down enemies that way without the turn based stuff.
And if you stare for long enough into the abyss... you just might stare it down.

My Awesome Homepage The Neon Heart.com Host to My Writing / Music / Reviews / and More

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Well there are many ways to do this. But I remember having a demo where there's this "shooter" (It's a fatal frame fangame engine test). I remember it's RMVX.net but if I have time tonight I'll post it here

Rep:
Level 67
TheNeonHeart.com
@cozziekuns - I looked up the Blizz-ABS you mentioned. Definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for. I followed a link to a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTxB5gDTEzQ  where people were ripping on that particular ABS, and were recommending one called HERO XAS... But then again I see nothing wrong with Blizz ABS in the video... I'm going to start messing around to see how they work, but I am pretty new to RMXP and new to coding, so it will probably be a mess. I have no idea what I'm doing.

It looked like Blizz-ABS was actually integrated into the menu system of RPG Maker somehow. I'm sure I have no idea how to get that to work, but that would be great to have that set up.

Basically I am doing a real-world type game with basic ballistics and maybe some basic melee combat. It's more a detective story than a straight up fighting game, just wanted to have the occasional action sequence.