RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How to make a complex menu system

Rep: +0/-0Level 66
RMRK Junior
Hi I am new here and I most probably have found the wrong place to do this, but I am wanting to get a nice menu system that takes up the whole screen and is seamless as in there isn't a box section that stands out with your options nor a box for time and money you have. I am very final fantasy inspired and that is the sort of menu's I am talking about. I have seen in the projects section many menus looking fantastic and I was wondering if I could have some help in regards on how to do it. I have a gut feeling it's heavy scripting :/

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
What system, rmvx or rmxp?
There are scripts that exist that mirror the menu systems of several final fantasy's
13 I know for sure, the rest leave me.

RMRK Junior
Sorry I meant in RPG Maker VX :)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Do you have a design in mind?

Your best bet is scripting and most custom menus are done that way. Picture eventing is also an option, but you'd have to be pretty good with events and it is graphic heavy (IE - you'd need seperate pictures for everything - every word, all 10 digits, and you'd need to make your own backgrounds and control everything).

Unless you are a decent eventer and have a lot of time on your hands, you should look for a script. Check out the Script Index and see if anything there appeals to you. If not, you can always try a request, but if you do that you should have a detailed mockup prepared in Paint (with appropriate proportions) and follow the Script Request Template.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
What final fantasy would you rather have? 13 is for vx.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member

RMRK Junior
I have noticed the FF13 menu, but couldn't find a link to the actual scripting for it and well I was thinking along the lines of FF12 and 13 but not completely them if you know what i mean. I am new to this forum too so some links would be ideal to point in a particular direction :)

Rep:
Level 97
I gave you the link to the Menu Systems category of the Script Index; that links to almost every script on the forum that affects the menu.

The FF13 script can be found in the Pockethouse Scripts thread. You will need to get YEM Main Menu from the Melody demo (attached to the first post in that thread) and you will also need to go down to the Shanghai heading and get the FF13 Main Menu script (as well as the corresponding graphics).

If you want the other scripts as well (Item, Menu Skill), then they are there too and you will also need the corresponding scripts from the YEM demo. Each of them will tell you what you need to do.