RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
To the Moon (and hi from a ghost)

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year
Hiya everyone! Some of you might vaguely remember me; I was active here quite a few years ago and liked to whistle that really annoying tune which made everyone want to take a leak.

Here's the thing. . . For the past year and a half, I've been working on a new project, and I wasn't planning on posting it on RM forums anywhere. The reason for that is, well, it's a commercial project -- with RMXP. I'm at the point in my life where I need to choose and start my career, and I know what I like to do. So I decided to try to make what I've been doing for the past 5 years as a hobby what I'll do for a living. The odds might be against me, but I'm going to give it a try and see how far I can go.

I wasn't planning on posting this on any RM boards, because, at least back in the days, there seemed to still linger a general sentiment against commercial RM games. But RMRK is the place I started using RMXP from all those years ago, and it's where I started my first project, Quintessence - The Blighted Venom. So, I decided that it would be only right to post it here as well. :) I hope the folks can be understanding of it and not hang me upfront!

And so, here's to the good ol' times, all over again :D:

The game is called To the Moon. It is an adventure game about two doctors traversing through the memories of a dying man in reverse, in order to fulfill his last wish.

Announcement Trailer:

http://youtu.be/sqkJuSV-23U

In-Game Preview Trailer:

Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts have rather peculiar jobs:

They give people another chance to live. Literally.

There exists a technology that allows doctors to weave artificial memories, such that a patient can request attempts to alter their mind, and wake up with memories of things that didn't actually happen.

However, since these new memories are permanent, the conflict between them and the existing authentic memories clash in such a way that it ceases the person's ability to properly function.

Thus, the operation is only done to people on their deathbeds, to fulfill what they wish they had done with their lives. . . but didn't.

But creating a new memory is not as simple as pressing a button.

The technology allows the doctors to step into the memories of the patient, which are reconstructed as interactive scenes. The doctors then gradually traverse backwards through memories of the patient's life until they reach childhood -- at which point, the wish of the patient in present time would be transferred over.

Along with the doctors' influence, the patient (as a child) could then lead an entire different life inside their head, working toward and fulfilling their dying wish themselves. And if all goes well, they would wake up, having lived the dream life they never had, and embrace a brief moment of blissful fulfillment.

Shortly after, they'd be drawing their last breath.

Every once a while, there comes a life that is rather peculiar.

This particular story follows Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts' attempt to fulfill the dream of the dying elderly man, Johnny. In their mission to do so, they traverse backwards through the man’s memories, unfolding his curious life story before their eyes.

With each step back in time, a new fragment of Johnny's past is revealed. And as the two doctors piece together the puzzled events that spanned a life time, they seek to find out just why the frail old man chose his dying wish to be what it is.

And Johnny's last wish is, of course. . . to go to the moon.

The original soundtrack of the game will also be available, of which 50% of the profit will be donated to charities for autistic spectrum disorders, something that is relevant to the game's story. It is composed by myself and the talented Laura Shigihara, composer/singer of Plants vs. Zombies (and her upcoming project, Melolune), who is kindly writing a special vocal song for the game. The soundtrack can be found here:
http://freebirdgames.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-moon-ost

Thank you all so much for being a great community and getting me on my way those years ago! I didn't forget it. I'll be more than happy to give free copies of the game or the soundtrack to the veterans; it's the least I can do.

Cheers RMRK,
Kan/Reives
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:59:25 AM by Reives »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
*falls in love again* <3

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Wow.. This is just amazing. I love the atmoshpere, sprites, setting and story. This is probably one commercial RPG Maker game I would actually buy.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Favourite Staff Member
You've always been one of the very best, Reives! It is good to see you and I will gladly buy this game once it is released. It sounds like a very artistic and intriguing storyline and the graphics and music are wonderful. I've preordered the OST already and can't wait for the game.

Really though, I am very much looking forward to it.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
this story sounds legitimately amazing.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Wow, I'm actually impressed by an RM game. I've always liked your work, Reives.

Rep:
Level 88
&& Lime
Winner - 2011 Spring Project of the Season
Amazing visuals. Can't say much else that hasn't already been said. Looking forward to this!

hey, pasta!

i'm not okay.

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year
Thanks for the warm reception, everyone. :D And it's nice to see some familiar faces too! Hope you've all been doing well.

Today was the first day after the press release, and wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. It got seriously fortunate and went on places like GameTrailers, IGN, TigSource, ShackNews and even GameSpot (what the heck); so far reception is decent for the most part, and the trailer racked up over 10k views now. There still seems to be a bit of a illogically distorted image of "RPG Maker can't make anything new or decent" among some of the folks (though surprisingly few), and I hope to be able to break that a bit both for my sake and for the sake of the RM community. Gonna be some busy couple of months ahead, though!

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
This lives up to the sexy-ness of Quintessence. Incredibly well done.
I will not oppose to you going commercial, you can manage it. I really look forward to seeing this done.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 88
&& Lime
Winner - 2011 Spring Project of the Season
Not a plug or anything, but I thought I'd mention that your story, while awesome, sounds somewhat familiar to my project. :O Quite strange, yes...

hey, pasta!

i'm not okay.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Your graphics look incredible, it seems you've broken the stigma with rmxp and lame maps :3 I would probably buy this

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
The plot sounds a lot like Big Fish, which happens to be among my favorite movies. I will most definitely be buying this along with the soundtrack.

Amazing work as always, Reives.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 89
Thanks so much for the support, you guys. I shall keep it in mind as I get through this last crunch period! :D And Bunny, what's your project like? It'd be cool to see it. c:

The official release date is set to November 1st. In the mean time, here's the 2nd and last trailer before launch -- it's less, uh. . . formal, and shows a different side of the game:

*Click*:

Hope you guys enjoy it! :)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Said it before, I'll say it again: perhaps the most hilarious yet epic trailer for an RPG Maker project. <3

PLUS IT COMES OUT IN TIME FOR MY BIRTHDAY. Yay.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Tell me its under $5 and you have yourself a sale :P Thats going on the fact its only 5 hours though. However, I am greatly impressed :3

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Oh god that's beautiful.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 89
I'm giving the option for anyone who been involved/contributed to the RMRK community for a while now to get the game free anyways, since if it weren't for this place I wouldn't be here making these things today anyway. :P So aye, no worries about the wallet for you guys here.

As for the normal price, after looking into pricing in games and its effects, I decided to not set it to <$5. o: And I'll probably rely lazily on this article when it comes to justifying it vs. the length and the like.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Was this officially released today?

Rep:
Level 89
Sort of. It went live, but I haven't done the press release yet. Working on that now! I've been getting sleep in 2-hour sessions every 10 hours or so these couple of days, hahah. . .

P.S. I can suddenly see better for some reason. Did the colour scheme here change or something?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll
I keep seeing this on Tigsource and Indiegames.com and I'm like "hey I know that guy"

Keep it up, man.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Holy cow this looks really amazing. I love the aesthetics, atmosphere, and plot. The graphical presentation is familiar, but something about it is so charming and endearing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's really lovely. Strike succinctly expressed the plot's quality, which is better than a lot of books I've read.

This of course is no surprise because you're pretty much the best user of RPG Maker of whom I know. Good luck, man! I look forward to playing this.

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
You never cease to amaze. I will gladly put forth monies for this. At under $5 there's no reason not to.

I can't count how many times I have replayed Quintessence, I'm certain this will be worth every penny.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
It's not under $5, but it's more than worth its price.

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
Ah, I missed the "not" before the "<$5". You're right that it's still worth the price.

Rep:
Level 89
Sorry for not being very responsive lately guys! Just getting buried right now on barely any sleep, heheh. Aye, the price is $12 -- though as I promised, I'd be happy to give free codes to anyone who's rooted to RMRK. c: Just send me a PM if you'd like.

Also, just published the launch "trailer": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Vo4m2yiIo