RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RPGVX] LUNAR WISH - Orbs Of Fate

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK

Lunar Wish: Orbs Of Fate is an indie role-playing game developed by LusterMX for the RPG fan community. It provides a unique experience unlike other RPGs in the community and has been made to provide the most complete and fulfilling downloadable gameplay experiences players can enjoy.
 One of the elements which set Lunar Wish: Orbs of Fate apart from other games of its genre is that it does not feature a clear main protagonist, despite initial impressions of leading characters.  This has been implemented to allow each and every one of the characters to develop and expand at their own pace; the progression of the storyline is also unique in this respect as each of the characters has a significant part to play in the plot. There is no hierarchy within Lunar Wish: each character is considered integral to the overall storyline and gameplay experience.  As a result, the game itself is rich in character development and is supplemented by surprising twists and unexpected methods of progression, which are guaranteed to take the player on their own journey of discovery as they play along with the characters. Comedic elements are also continually employed, to give the game its characteristic feel and tone through the character’s voices. While on the surface, Lunar Wish may seem like an innocuous, unexciting RPG, but in reality it does well to subvert the player’s expectations of the standard RPG template.
The gameplay schematic of Lunar Wish was designed to be as simple to understand and play as possible. This was done so that even players who are unfamiliar with the RPG genre could start playing immediately and allow themselves to immerse themselves in the world of Lunar Wish. There are no complex systems to learn and the learning curve is kept minimal as to allow as much of the game to shine through as possible. Skill Trees are used within the game to obtain new skills: this system allows the player to further expand their experience with the game as they progress and become more familiar with the game’s structure. As the characters learn new skills and become more adept in battle, as does the player. The simplistic yet effective system of each character focusing on a different element, tactic and strategy means that battling is always enjoyable without ever being overwhelming.
Lunar Wish is ideally suited to casual gamers, but the prime difficulty level means that there are always new challenges ready to surprise and test the player’s ability to think on their feet. Lunar Wish succeeds in bridging the gap between simplicity and difficulty which is a common problem amongst many games of this genre.
Lunar Wish: Orbs Of Fate has been in development for 5 long gruelling years and is truly a labour of love devoted to members of the RPG fanbase community.  It has finally been completed as of 27th April 2013. Estimates would place the total game time at just over 12 hours, but take note that Orbs of Fate is just the first part of an epic duo of RPG games, the second of which will be coming very soon. I hope you enjoy playing Lunar Wish: Orbs of Fate just as much as I enjoyed making and developing it. Happy playing!

Prologue (Past)

Serathium… the fabled land of legends… home to Angels, Beasts and Vampires, and most importantly, the Heart, Spirit and Soul of Existence itself. The Lunar Orb.

The Lunar Orb is an integral part of all life which thrives on this planet. Ingrained onto the face of the harsh red earth at the beginning of time, The Orb proved to be the source of the beauty and vitality which is instilled in the natural world. The fertile soil gave way to abundant plants and creatures who lived in peace with the Orb and its surroundings. The land of Serathium became synonymous with the golden era of concordance and tranquillity and the delicate balance of the forces of nature meant that life in Serathium was like living in the Garden of Eden itself… until that one fateful day.

The Orb changed without warning and led the land of Serathium into an era of chaos and mass destruction. No one, not even the heralded Angels of Serathium knew what to do in this terrifying situation. Apart from one.

A young Angel known as Fate emerged from the impeding darkness and attempted to restore harmony to the land using an ancient technique known as The Sending. But her efforts to calm the Orb down were for naught, as her brave, yet reckless attempt to rescue Serathium results in her being sealed away for an innumerable number of years – possibly for the rest of all time.

The people of Serathium could only watch as The Lunar Orb started to lose control and the very foundations of the universe itself begin to crumble around them. The destruction gave way to an event which no one in the history of time itself could have foreseen: The Rebellion of Serathium.

Present Day

A thousand years after the events in Serathium, the chaos and madness of the Lunar Orb is nothing but a myth – a story intended to amuse small children when they got restless of life and demanded fantastical stories of the unknown from their parents. For the people of The Isle, life went on much like a dog chasing its tail: in repetitive and tedious circles, not particularly going anywhere but with that element of content – the comfort of the familiar.
Around the time of the destruction of the Lunar Orb, four other Orbs appeared surreptitiously on the fabric of existence in various points outside of Serathium, ingraining themselves into the earth much like how the Lunar Orb originally came into existence. The purpose of these Orbs were and still is a mystery, although humans, curious as to what powers these artifacts could hold, sealed them off and protected them fiercely from any potential harm which may come to them. They are the Blue Orb, the Green Orb, the Purple Orb and the Red Orb.
They say that time heals all wounds, yet a thousand years later, the fabled land of Serathium is still struggling to recover from its ordeal. The humans on The Isle live without any knowledge of the history and the suffering of this land, which exists parallel to their world, not yet releasing the pain, suffering and destruction which is soon to come…
The story begins with a young boy named Falk who is a student at the Applon Academy, which is one of two Academies on The Isle. The gifted and talented of the children gain the privilege of attending Pow Academy, while the others attend Applon. One day he encounters a highly mysterious and seemingly malevolent voice in his room which informs him that someone close to him will disappear – someone who he spent his childhood with participating in activities such as beating each other up, bunking class and pushing bunnies into water. Nostalgic and fond these memories may be, Falk is concerned about nothing but his own “destiny”, which he believes is being conveyed to him through this voice, inferring a lifetime of living out his fantasy of being a hero like he always dreamed.
But the life of a girl is at stake, and in a whirlpool of conceit and pretentiousness and raging passion and emotions, can the students of Applon Academy find it within themselves to work together and carry out their actions as written in the book of fate? Only time will tell as your journey begins…

Fate Spero
Class: Angel
One of the first characters you encounter in the game, Fate is the very of definition of coldness and determination. She cares little for other humans and animals, preferring to communicate from a distance through simple gestures and blunt comments, rather than getting close to people emotionally. What you see is what you get with Fate, although there is a part of her which suggests that deep down, she cares for own species and homeland, letting nothing get in the way of her goals and dreams. Angel she may be, but Fate is far from angelic.

Falk Valor
Class: Warrior
Your typical, teenage warrior. You think he’s cliché, others think he’s cliché, even he thinks he’s cliché. Falk is a narcissist through and through: he lives in a fantasy world which involves nothing but him and his own delusional heroism to keep him company through the night. Arrogant and conceited, Falk would gladly place his own emotions before anyone else’s, because lets face it, who is more important to Falk than the great hero himself? He’s beyond happy when he receives what he thinks is a calling to his heroic destiny, but it’s evident that Falk is in desperate need of a wake-up call of a different kind, if you know what I mean.

Tash Fletcher
Class: Archer
Tash is a brash, vain teenage girl. Much like Falk, she considers others to be beneath her, preferring to spend her free time gazing into a mirror rather than going to class. She spends more time in detention than out of it due to her constant attempts to bunk, much to the exasperation of her teacher.  It’s probably because of this that she’s a bit stupid: she once killed a bunny for training which actually turned to be her best friend’s pet. She disappears after Falk receives a message from a mysterious purple blur, just making sure that her hair and make-up still looks good is all that matters to Tash.

Cindy Pulte
Class: Mage
Whereas characters like Falk and Tash are stuck in their own personal little fantasy worlds, Cindy has her feet stuck firmly on the ground. To her, studying and preparing for her future always comes first before everything else, which is why she’s so devastated when Falk blackmails her into coming with him, effectively ruining her chances of becoming an intellectual. Cindy is never afraid to speak her mind, being very vocal about her opinions towards Falk’s fantasies of being a hero. She can’t tolerate any stupid or illogical individuals, so as a result is very independent and self-confident in her actions as she knows not to rely on other people as they would only let her down. 

There are PLENTY of other characters but I'll limit it to these few for now... They are the first that you'll see in the game but have no more significance than some characters not shown here.

Custom Gadgets
Most of the gadgets I have made have been fully evented by me. They make puzzles so much more interesting!

Minigames
There are quite a few challenging mini games in the game as well. There's a cow whipping mini game, a throwing star action mini game and more...

Puzzles
Each dungeon isn't only walk, battle, walk battle... I have also made sure each dungeon has a unique and interesting puzzle... And trust me, there are plenty of dungeons

Portal Station
There are a lot of towns and villages in my game so that getting around with a teleporting system makes it much more flexible and easy!

Scenes
I would say that the flow of the storyline getting revealed bit by bit is really smooth due to the amount of effort I put into each and every scene. There are many comedic instances as well in which you will either love/hate a character.

Battle System
I use the Sideview Battle system, but I have customized it a lot so it has A LOT of original animations. Hence, discovering what each skill looks like and bringing in new techniques your party can gain  will make battling very fun and enjoyable.

Skill Tree
In this game, you won't learn new Spells/Skills by leveling up. Instead, you get skill points in which you can decide what build your characters can become. What skills they learn is entirely up to you with each character given a unique Skill Tree.

Multiple Parties
The game does not focus on the same characters all the time. It transitions between different people so you get to explore more ground of The Isle and meet many new characters.

Plenty of Side Quests
Bored of progressing the main quest? Take the challenge of acquiring 100% completion and redeem the benefits! Discover hidden scenes,equipment and items to make your Lunar Wish adventure that much more exciting.

Exploring and traveling different areas plays a major part to the game!

The Isle
The main area of the game. Three of the four orbs are located here. The capital of the isle is Tyrone City. Each major town/city/village of the isle has their own special captain who's job is to protect the town at all costs and serve justice for the citizens that live there. The Isle is what you can see in the map above. It is the main area in Lunar Wish: Orbs of Fate.

The Dream World
What is this place? Why does it exist? I can only tell you here that this is a special world which plays a fairly big part to the story.

Serathium
As stated above, this is the place where Spiritual live beings such as Angels, Beasts and Vampires live. It is a very magical and beautiful land which is currently in utter destruction due to the chaos of the Lunar Orb and the Rebellion beginning.

Konzyez
Another island near the Isle on Earth. It is where the elite, the ultra powerful, gifted and talented go! And yes, this is where the Pow Academy is located, the place Cindy longs to go to.

Credits

Spoiler for:

Story
LusterMX
SLHY

Topic Description

John from Zelda Dungeon - Brilliant writer. Go read his articles NOW!

Graphics
Celianna - Amazing tilesets - 99% of the maps would not be possible without the tiles that she created.
Lunarea - Also great tiles! Very much appreciated.
Mack
Enterbrain
Lexus - Particle animations - Relied heavily on them for the battlesystem. Thank you!
Ragnarok
Antares
Avadan
Pine
Stormriderangel
Kaduki - The face graphics and sprites is what made the amazing cast how they are today. Thank you!
Vibrato
Hanzo
Mr Bubble - Also has brilliant animations. Provided the animation for Light Fall and Flame Fall - Some of my favorite moves.
SoFresh

Scripts
KGC - Excellent scripts. Especially the large part script which was so useful for allowing more than four party members.
Piejamas
BulletXT
Kylock
OriginalWij
Woratana - Many, many useful scripts like move commands and neo messaging system
Anaryu - Antilag! Can't imagine how it would be like without it.
Glitchkey
Professor Meow Meow
Hanzo
Game_guy
Modern Algebra
BigEdg81
Mr Anonymous
Mithran
Reedo
Yanfly - One of the best scripters I know. Victory Aftermath is popular for a reason!
Mr Bubble - As Sideview system was used, I owe a lot to this guy!
Enu - Creator of the battle system - AMAZING work!
Wltr3565
Alphawelp
Deriru
Gamebaker
Leongon - Excellent skill tree system. I'm glad I found his script when I did!
Shanghai
Omegas7 - Diary/Quest system! Very simple to use~
Munkis
Syvkal - Much better SP/HP bars than default!
Enterbrain

Music
A lot of music is taken from various game soundtracks as some of you are sure to notice:
This includes games like:
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon
Earthbound
Kingdom Hearts
Atelier
Etrian Odyssey
Secret of mana
Zelda
Xenogears
Fable
Persona

Composers:

Many of those from Sakari Infinity I thank you very much! Your website is full of excellence and has provided
with many tracks that fit in my game so well!
illustrationism
Matt
Kurton
Seefour
McTricky

Kevin MacLeod
Josh Hunsaker
Steve Burke

Enterbrain

Other
GIMP - The ultimate art program which I relied heavily upon. Parallax maps were all created in here
Adobe Photoshop - I made the world map in this program. One of my proudest works.
RPG maker web community - Very helpful and friendly community!
RPGmakervx.net - Lunar Wish's journey began on this site.
GrandmaDeb - Made searching for resources 10X easier

Inspiration of RPG Maker
John Wizard's Dawn's light - Many, may comedy features which contained awe and inspiration. One of the very few
commercial RPGVX games that I played and liked.
Many youtube users who have watched my video have provided me with the encouragement to carry on! I thank you all.
RPG maker net - but of course!

If you have feeled like you deserve to be in the credits, but are not listed PLEASE tell me. It's not right that you
aren't included if you have contributed something to this game. That also applies if you think someone else should be
listed.

Thank you very much ALL!

Download Now!

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&confirm=tiZo&id=0B77nwCofJo-JemxHdFVPNTlncG8V1.07

How to Install

Spoiler for:

Setting up Lunar Wish so it's ready to play is really simple. If you are familiar with RPG maker, you probably don't need to read this.

Step 1
Download and install WinRAR. I'd be surprised if you haven't already. For most, this program is an essential. It's needed to extract the game from the Zip file that it's compressed in.
Download it from Here
(Ignore how it says trial, the program is practically free forever - mwahahaha)

Step 2
Download and install the RPG maker VX RTP. This is a must as the game itself does not include this, but requires the RTP in order to run.
Download the VX RTP from Here.

It is the RPG maker VX RTP that needs to be download and installed, not the VX Ace or XP one.

Step 3
Now simply download the game if you haven't already. WinRAR will allow you to extract the game like so:

(Right click the file and click 'Extract to Lunar Wish - Orbs of Fate'.
Wait for the extraction process to be complete; it should only take around a few seconds).

Step 4
Enjoy the game by running it through this icon!

Have fun!

If you have any difficulty installing the game, please do ask! I'd be happy to help.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:56:25 PM by lustermx »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
This game looks like a bundle of fun, the word "Puzzles" makes it sound even more great - I'll download the demo tomorrow morning and give you a nice chunk of feedback.

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Thank you! I shall eagerly await your feedback :)

Rep:
Level 82
I tried the demo, well-halfway through it as there were some bugs:

1st- After Tash dances in the Applon lake, and Falk says he'd better get the dew, the player is suddenly transferred to Falk's room in the academy.

2nd- After Kestrel says that she's going to train Falk for the exams, and you go in the direction of the forest, you can't. Falk says that it's too late to go out or something like that...

But overall, I like the game, graphics dialogue and everything. Good luck!

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
@Zacpower4
Thank you for your input. I will fix the first glitch immediately, but on the 2nd 'glitch' have you visited Cindy, Tash and Loki who are sitting on the lounge of the Applon Academy yet?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Downloading now - this looks great!

Rep:
Level 82
@ lustermx:Ooh...Sorry about that.

Rep:
Level 82
Hm.. I don't know if it's wise to play the demo before the full release, but what the heck xD I'll give you some feedback once I've played :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:58:18 AM by luiishu535 »

Rep:
Level 82
Wait- Another two errors...

First:

The rock's on top of the cave...

Second: When Falk and Cindy get Gummi in their party, I leave through Yanbear's Bottom-right exit then the screen blacks out and the screen appear: Meanwhile...
  And then I appear as Arc in Applon Village...And my party still consists of Falk Cindy and Gummi!
Hope you can fix that soon...

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Okay, I fixed the first error. Hehe~ (By the way, I REALLY appreciate this!) :)
But I don't seem to understand how you even managed to get to the bottom right exit, it should be blocked off... Oh well, I'll have a look into it.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, you're supposed to go back to Avale Town, I'm so sorry about those annoying bugs! I'll get my spray out  :'(
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:54:11 PM by lustermx »

Rep:
Level 82
Yeah, I spotted another (Kind-of) error.
In the scene where Tash says "Who is this girl?" (Or something like that, she's referring to the lady who said "It's for the best" before getting beaten up) On the top right hand corner it says 'Scene 09' and in the next scene it says 'Scene 10'.
Maybe this was intentional but it ruins the whole cutscene-thingy.

Rep:
Level 82
I got some bugs here that I think you should take a look at:
1.After Tash danced and you transfered into Falk's Room, the falling leaves effect still appeared.
2. When I go to the Academy Head and gives her the flowers, everyone returns to their room but Falk can't move and Cindy is still in the party eventhough she left. I can't continue from that point, so it's a MUST FIX bug.
3. When you load your game, the caterpillar freezes and the caterpillar characters just stands still. You can still play and the caterpillar returns as you transfers to another map.

Those are the bugs I've found. A part from the bugs, I really like what I'm playing and I hope to fix this soon, since I can't wait to continue the great adventure :D

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Thanks Luiishu!
I've updated the download link so that glitch should no longer occur, but it's still possible to play from the older version. Is it possible if you can reload just before the Tash dancing scene, once it's complete you can go all the way back to the lake and interact with the glittery thing. You shouldn't have gotten transferred back, it's a glitch - A downright ugly one!
DON'T GO BACK TO THE OFFICE WITHOUT COLLECTING THE DEW FIRST

About the caterpillar glitch, yeah I've known about that for a while, but I can't seem to fix it...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:47:37 PM by lustermx »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
I haven't much time to play the game sadly, but I want to give some feedback today so, I'll be saying what I like and dislike about the game for the first hour (or more) of gameplay.

> The Title Screen is great, the cutscene was good, now to start moving around. Your mapping is wonderful, especially the school it looks really great. In Applon village, directly behind the school, there's a little mapping error, there is half a tree and it's being cut off by a howled log on the ground. And on the top floor of the school, you can walk under a pillow lying on the floor. It was pretty funny when Tash made a big deal out of hunting that rabbit then kicks it into the water. The forest is very well done, but I'd expect it to be a bit darker since Applon town was quite dim, the music is nice as well. The combat looks and plays really smoothly and the battlebacks you've placed into them make them looking really great as well, hopefully the enemies will get a bit tougher though. The enemies indeed need to deal a bit more damage, at level 2 the enemy's (of the forest) basic attacks deal no damage. Well, the Teddy bears are fine. The waterfall at the Applon Lake looks pretty weird, it looks like it's floating, it should be worked on. At least at night the Blue Slimes seem to get more HP, but they still deal nearly no damage to me. A small complaint I have is that my Iron Sword has no animation or sound to its attack :P - And I don't like that angry blue robed girl. When you go to sleep after getting the midnight dew and are transfered to the Lake, if you go up to the cave, Tash speaks to you saying that there isn't any Midnight Dew inside, even though she isn't in the party. During the training session fight, Arc did a double attack, but he missed the first attack, so I'm thinking you should somehow make it so he cannot miss, because if he did, the cutscene would surely have been ruined. In combat, there is an error in which after damage calculation on yourself, you can attack while your health is draining until it's all gone. A fix could be to have the damage appear instantly, or make the HP drain a bit quicker so I can't get in a last attack after being triple attacked for over 1000 damage with 400 HP and attacking one last time while I'm dying. And I believe I'm done. When I return home I'll definitely have to continue my adventures, this is surely shaping up to be one of my favorites. Good work and good luck!

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
WOW!   ;8
Thank you so much for all that feedback hiromu656!

I'll see what I can do about the mapping errors, although I think the first error was intended to be behind the academy unless I'm seeing wrong. I can't seem to find that pillow though (I'm blind.) Hmm... You maybe right about the forest, but my game is actually huge. It does seem to BE SOOO EASY at first, but as you go along the game, it does get harder and harder. It's a  slow progression like a fat person trying to lose weight. Also, it's like a friendly forest where children roam about freely so that's why  :P Your iron sword doesn't have an animation??? That's weird, because I'm pretty sure it does. Ah, the angry blue robed girl, well you're not supposed to like her, hahaha. You can join Cindy's hate-mafia club :) The bug about getting sent to the academy after the Tash dancing scene is fixed, although it's not necessary to re-download as it's not a game-breaking bug, it's just really confusing, but I see you managed to get past to the next bit where Kestrel trains you so that's good to know. Yes, I'll make sure Arc cannot miss, because he most certainly SHOULD knock out Loki! hehe. The thing about your health draining is supposed to be there, it's intentional - It's like dying, but not dead instantly. It's more realistic that way.
Thanks for the feedback once again!  ;D

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
[ General ]
-• Player Notes
- <Skip Intro Option>
-- The introduction is nice to see the first time, but when I accidentally close the game window and have to go through the entire scene again it gets tiring. If an option to skip past the introduction could be implemented, it would speed up things for those who have already seen the introduction.

- <Emotion Bubble Sound Effects>
-- In my opinion, the sounds used when the bubbles appear stand out quite a bit during serious moments. Their cartoon-like sounds break the mood that is trying to be portrayed.

- <Data Optimization>
-- I know I always end up saying this because I'm on a personal crusade to cut down the size of projects ... but the audio and graphics files could use further optimization. I'm fairly certain that you could cut your audio directory by more than half and take at least fifty megabytes from your graphics directory.

[ Village of Applon ]
-• General
- <Minor | Aesthetic> : ( Image of Issue )
-- Tree tile cut in half.

- <Minor | Bug> : ( Image of Issue )
-- Once the people sitting on the benches are gone, the player can access the bench. Not really an issue, but as the player can access the other benches entirely, perhaps they should be able to access this one normally as well.

-• Applon Academy
- <Minor | Aesthetic> : ( Image of Issue )
-- As was mentioned before, it can appear as if this is a pillow. However, I think this is a stack of bags containing food. At any rate, I'll leave an image of it here for future note.

I'm still playing through the game and so far I think it's alright. You are right to say that there are some cliches, but the story has been decent. Keep up the good work!

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Wooooah Exhydra!
The way you report things IS TRULY AWESOME!

I have been speculating to myself whether I should have a Skip intro option or not, it's just watching the intro is very important for later in the game and knowing most people, they will think all intros are naturally too long so they'll just skip it even if they have never seen it before.
Are the emotion bubble sound effects really that much of a problem? Can you give me an example of where it breaks the mood? :P I've never really felt that.
You are definitely right about me being able to cut a whole lot of graphics out, but I don't know about audio. I converted and chopped down every track I had to OGG format. I'll try harder next time to chop off some more MBs :P

And Ooh, so that's what's meant by the tree issue. I'll fix all of them, you have an excellent eye.

Thank you Exhydra, I LOVE it when you give feedback.  :)

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
I have been speculating to myself whether I should have a Skip intro option or not, it's just watching the intro is very important for later in the game and knowing most people, they will think all intros are naturally too long so they'll just skip it even if they have never seen it before.

In my opinion, if people who have never played the game before want to skip the introduction, then that's their choice. They'll either have to go back and watch it or ask silly questions on the forum about what is going on in the story line.

Are the emotion bubble sound effects really that much of a problem? Can you give me an example of where it breaks the mood? :P I've never really felt that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34748352/LW-OoF/LW-OoF-V001.avi

Hmm, well, this is the first example I ran across. It's not really a game killer or anything but it just stands out, at least to me. I mean, Fate just saved the day and then vanishes. This is what I would assume would be a shocking moment ... and then a cartoon-like sound of an arrow hitting a bulls eye goes off. Perhaps it's just me ... I'm fairly picky and hard on games.

You are definitely right about me being able to cut a whole lot of graphics out, but I don't know about audio. I converted and chopped down every track I had to OGG format. I'll try harder next time to chop off some more MBs :P

You don't really have to cut graphics out to save space. You can run a PNG optimizer on them all and save in that way too. The optimization link in my comment has links for such programs ... it's drag and drop easy.

As for the OGG files, I ran them through Fre:Ac with the OGG encoder set to zero and took the BGM folder from around 60 megabytes to about 30 megabytes. To me, the music files sounded exactly the same as before (they'll most likely sound different to you, as you chose them and have been listening to them for a very long time). Also, the SND WAV files could be compressed into OGG files of the same name and (should) work just fine without any need to change scripts in your game.

Again, it's not really a huge deal that the download and install be smaller. I just find that most of the time large downloads can be chopped down quite a bit with a little optimization.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:22:25 AM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You really do give the best feedback I've ever seen Exhydra. Keep up the good work!

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
@Modern Algebra
As you can see, this game does have quite a lot of potential hehe... So have you tried out the demo for yourself yet?

I've updated the demo by fixing quite a few bugs so if you experienced a weird bug before, it's most likely been fixed in the new demo
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RC42L0TY

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Finally met some tough foes, Mafia and the Whisper. It sure is annoying that they have spells that can one shot every character in my party besides Falk. I guess I will do a bit of grinding later. :P

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Awesome game!  I just started playing, & I got to the Dream World, and I must say the entire 1st sequence was put together very well! My first impression is how slick the game felt to play.  The maps were elegant, & the music fit well; the party & quest notifications, & simply the characters talking to each other, felt very polished and nice.

The most important factors for me were that the game was 1) fun and 2) challenging, not to mention certain maps such as the forest were a joy to walk through, very immersive, with well-hidden secrets.

The fun came from the writing and characters.  I laughed out loud at their antics, and it makes the whole game better, which is rightly taken somewhat light-heartedly.  Also, the battles are fun, and real strategy is required to defeat bosses.  The battle menu is slick with the menu rings & battle gauges.  I too found the Whisper to be irritating, but the challenge wasn't unbeatable, after one failed attempt, one gained level and well timed/planned actions (though I was on edge, fearing the one-hit kills!). 

On a side note, & this may be due to scripts that have already been developed & aren't easily editable, but i find myself wishing the enemy's health gauge appears when I select targets in battle.  Since I see the bar anyways for a moment, it's not like it's a huge tactical advantage to see it appear when selecting a target.  I don't know if it's difficult with how the scripts are already written, but it was something I wanted as a player, especially as the battle system overlaps the damage numbers over the last 1/4 of the health bar of enemies when you strike.  I realize this may be the wrong place to bring up this issue though ...

I too noticed some small errors with mapping, there were 2 tiles I could walk on that I shouldn't have been able to in various maps (just weird, not game breaking), and the pillow I could walk under ... but I'm guessing these were brought to your attention already, from posts I read here.  I can be more specific if you'd like.

I felt the challenge to reward ratio is about right with this game.  I never want the game to feel too easy, but I don't want to feel discouraged, it seems a fine line to walk.

Awesome job!  I cannot wait to keep playing this game.
My Soundcloud:

RMRK Forum - Musical "Works in Progress"
I'm a Musician (Sonar X1, Piano, Guitar, game music inspired), and a visual artist/animator (Adobe Photoshop/After FX).
My musical inspirations include Sigur Ros, Pat Metheny, Andy McKee, Tool, Yokko Kanno, Yasunori Mitsuda, etc, to name a variety.
My favorite RPG series is Breath of Fire.
I love RPG's, & enjoy dabbling with RPG Maker, & am considering projects to start someday.

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Thank you so much evildrspock!
I REAAALLLY appreicate your reply so much. I'm glad you're enjoying it! There are a few changes I'm making to the game:
*Lowering the encounter rate
*Fixing the glitches
*Making the monsters in the forst a BIT more challenging

I suppose that would be a good idea to display the enemy HP bar. In fact, I'll do it now.
Again, thank you. I hope you continue to enjoy the rest of the demo! :)

Rep:
Level 75
Great game I just played a part of it and it is great.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life

Rep:
Level 72
RMRK
Hey all!

The game is now COMPLETE and has 12+ Hours worth of gameplay. (Possibly up to 15+ if you do everything).
I'd like to especially thank Exhydra for the previous feedback he has given me. I have considered all that he has suggested. For example, his guide helped me cut down the MB of Lunar Wish (It went from a whooping 560MB to now a 387)
There is also now a Skip Introduction option.
Can a mod move this to the finished projects area please?
Thank you everyone for the support

PS. My game topic looks nicer with this purplish background than in other RPG maker website :)