RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Extraction Error

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
So not to long ago I got a new computer with Windows 7, but before that I compressed and uploaded an old game to mediafire so I could redownload it. I downloaded the file and began to extract (its very large, has a lot of audio) it extracts about 75% until it comes to an audio file Final battle part1.wma that was in the game. Then it freezes and says not responding. Anybody have any idea why this is happening? And yes, I did click Run as administrator
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:56:54 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 82
The file is corrupted more than likely. This is known to happen with higher compression algorithms that .rar and .7z formats use. If using WinRAR, there is a "Repair" option that will attempt to fix the issue. I've only had this issue once, and the repair was unsuccessful, but it would be worth a try. It may have just been my particular file.

If that fails, delete the file from the archive and retry.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
RPG Maker XP compression, not RAR compression

Rep:
Level 82
Ahh...

I have encountered that before as well.  I really don't don't know a fix for it.  There is a bug with the RMXP compression that sometimes causes errors, especially with games with a large amount of resources. I avoid using the RMXP compression for this reason. Stick to simply zipping it or using a custom installer.  As for fixing it though, I'm sorry, I don't know anything off the top of my head.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
...Damn. This is my only way to access  this game again.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, if it is an issue with Windows 7 and not just a corrupted file, you could try giving it to a friend who is on Vista or XP, have them download it, extract it, and reupload it in a rar so you could get it. Other than that, I don't know if I can help you.

Rep:
Level 82
Try using WinRAR or 7zip to extract it instead of simply clicking on it normally. You can decompress RMXP and RMVX(?) archives with them programs, so they may be able to do what the self-extractor cannot.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Using WinRAR, I extracted it and it is indeed corrupted or something. The only file in it is the audio folder up until final battle, and it says it needs Test.002 whatever that is. Oh well, guess its gone