RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
REQUESTS: Event puzzles

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
I need two puzzles (or to know how to make them).

Firstly, I need one that requires you to activate switches in a certain order, and when you activate the wrong one, it's reset.

I also need one where it's slippy ice.
Like in Pokemon where you slide along ice, hit a rock and slide in a different direction to proceed.

Cheers.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Both are fairly easy. Do the first one with a variable. Start the variable at 0. On each switch check if the variable is at the right spot. If it is, advance it by 1. If it isn't reset it.

So, each event would look like this:

@>Conditional Branch: If Variable [X: Switches Pulled] == 0
    @>Play SE: Correct
    @>Variable [X: Switches Pulled] += 1
  : Else
    @>Play SE: False
    @>Variable [X: Switches Pulled] = 0
  : Branch END

The only thing that would change is what you check the variable against. The first in order should be 0, the second should be 1, the third should be 2, etc... When you get to the final switch, then instead of advancing the variable in the correct branch you would simply deactivate each of these events (by a switch, for example) and then simply play the successful version of this.

The second event is also fairly simple. If you're using RMXP or 2k3 you could use terrain tags and this system is very easy to do. If you're using RMVX, then it's a little different but not much harder. Tell me which maker you're using and I will go over the event.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:02:21 PM by modern algebra »

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
I'm using RMXP.

And with that event for the different switches, does that apply to all four or do I have to change it?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You have to change only the value the variable is checked against

The only thing that would change is what you check the variable against. The first in order should be 0, the second should be 1, the third should be 2, etc... When you get to the final switch, then instead of advancing the variable in the correct branch you would simply deactivate each of these events (by a switch, for example) and then simply play the successful version of this.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
I'm still confused, this is my first time doing a puzzle like this.
I need patronizingly easy instructions, I'm not fully experienced in manipulating variables either.

Rep:
Level 97
Err, they already were. But since I can't think of an easier way to explain it, here's a demo. I added a few little graphical enhancements to it, such as changing the colour of the switch. For that reason, I used a couple extra pages to the switches. I also wanted to move the door up rather than immediately change it to the open graphic, so I used an extra variable addition to accomplish that. The actual processing of the event is the first page of each switch though - the rest was just to make it more graphically appealing.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Cheers.

Now how do I do the slippy ice thing? do I just "set move route" conditional to the direction the player's facing?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
It would be a bit more complex than that, even if you're not working in VX. The way I'd do it is make a similar event on every ice tile except for corners, and set a move route for each of them. There's probably an easier way in XP.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=5727.0
This explains the ice puzzle very simply, step by step, with screenshots.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
omg cheers Acolyte :3