RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RPGXP] I need a better understanding on stats (Str,Int,Dex,Etc.)

Rep:
Level 87
Trainer Orange.
Hi all.

I'm currently developing a game and I have had this question that has been bugging me for a very long time. So I came here to hopefully get it answered. My question is, how do the stats in RPG Maker XP work? I don't understand completely what the mechanics of Str, Int, Dex, Agi, etc. all do. I also want to know how the program knows what stats to use to power certain weapons (Such as Str powering a sword), or are weapons powered a different way? Mainly, I want to know what stat influences bow weapons to most; is it Dex? Over all, I'm very lost.

~Neutral

Rep:
Level 82
I'm not a big user of RMXP, but looking at the scripts + database I can see that:

STR - Affects the damage dealt for all weapon attacks (incl. bows and other ranged weapons).
DEX - Affects the critical hit chance of the attack.
AGI - Affects evasion and the chance of avoiding a critical hit. Also affects chance of escaping battles and the speed of the actor in respect to other battlers.
INT - Affects the power of magical attacks

All 4 of these also affect the Rate value should the respective stat modifier have a value greater than 0.

If you right click pretty much anything on the database and hit "What's this?" it'll tell you what they do and what they affect. Also, the help file has some useful information on Battle Formulas that shows how the stats are used when calculating damage and hit rates.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 87
Trainer Orange.
I see, thank you for this information.

I was thinking of maybe making a test game on the side to mess around with the scripts to get used to them. I was wondering where I can find the scripts for all the stat formula and maybe change what they do. Where could I find the scripts for the stats?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
In RMXP, the stats, hp and mp are defined it Game_Battler1. Attack power, physical and magical defense power, hit rate and evasion are all handled within Game_Battler1 also, further on it the code. The formulas are very visible.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 87
Trainer Orange.
Hmmm, ok. Lets say I wanted to change the stats formula so that Bows power is affected by Dex (since bows being powered by Str is pretty awkward in my opinion). What exactly would I have to do?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
A quick glance through the script list reveals that I need a longer look at the script list.
That being said, I'm not at XP scripter so I probably wouldn't be able to tell you anyway.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know