RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved] trouble passing variable between classes

Rep:
Level 82
We learn by living...
I'm trying to figure out how to change a non global variable "@term" normally listed as
Code: [Select]
@term = $data_chants[0].name

into "@chant" by doing this:
@fragment_1.term = @chant

Here's the two parts in more detail:

from here in:

"class Scene_Battle < SDK::Scene_Base"

i have this command, and the " p @chant.name.to_s" works fine, it only crashes on the next line:
"@fragment_1.term = @chant"

Which means my error is in my failure to properly address something, either the fragment_1 class, or the @term (I'm guessing).

if Input.trigger?(Input::C)
      #play decision SE
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
      @chant = @chant_window.chant
      p @chant.name.to_s
      @fragment_1.term = @chant
      return
    end

to this window here:

#====================================================================
#      Fragment 1 - super (x, y, width, height)
#====================================================================
class Fragment_1 < Window_Base #Window_Fragment

def initialize
    super(100, 278, 90,42)
    self.contents = Bitmap.new(width-32, height-32)
    refresh
    self.back_opacity = 160
    end

def refresh
    self.contents.clear
        self.contents.font.color = text_color(0)#white
        self.contents.font.size = 16 #was 20
        @term = $data_chants[0].name
        #@term = "ichi"
        self.contents.draw_text(0, -10, 90, 32, @term.to_s)
      end

def update
    if Graphics.frame_count / Graphics.frame_rate != @total_sec
      refresh
    end
  end

end

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:08:05 AM by shintashi »

Rep:
Level 82
I think this is something I run into when I'm not really paying much attention. My thoughts:

Normally, @fragment_1.term is a method call to 'term' on the object held in @fragment_1. @fragment_1.term = @chant (again normally) is trying to assign the @chant variable to the method 'term', which doesn't really work. What you're missing is a set method. Two ways I can think of to do this:

def term=(chant)
   @chant = chant
end

I think that should work, if I follow how VX normally does set methods.

I usually do it like this:

def term(chant)
    @chant = chant
end

The different being instead of using @fragment_1.term = @chant, I would have to do @fragment_1.term(@chant) - i.e. passing an argument instead of overriding the '=' operator.

The other way I can think of is to make 'term' a class variable that is read/writeable. Something like 'attr_accessor: term' at the top of Class Fragment_1 should work for that. Then you're @fragment_1.term = @chant should also work.

I may have something wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it.

Also: the Fragment_1 class doesn't have a term method anyway, so if you're getting a NoMethodError, which I'd assume is happening when it crashes, that's why.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 82
We learn by living...
much thanks. The Attr accessor thing worked. I just need to figure out how to be able to switch from one window to the next (I have six windows to pass info into... similar to an alchemy drag drop system), but I'm grateful for a working system at this time ^^

Rep:
Level 82
The only problem with using attr_accessor is that anybody can access it and change it's contents without having to go through any potential checks you may want to implement.

Using a proper set method (either term= or term(args)) means you can control what happens to the passed in information. If you use a set method, you can then make either a get method (can simply return the variable data) or use attr_reader like you have attr_accessor to get hold of the information.

attr_accessor = read and write access to the variable
attr_reader = read-only access to the variable
attr_writer = write-only access to the variable

As for the window thing, I don't quite understand enough to offer any advice on that.
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)