RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX] Twice Upon a Hero

Rep:
Level 75
Hi Lunarea, I don't know if this has already been brought to your attention, but once you enter the forest west to Summervale a second time after collecting the nectar, you can't exit.
On a side note, I like how you write dialogues, I like it so much I read all tutorials xD

Rep:
Level 75
Sorry I ate the Chaos emerald...
I can't wait for chapter 3 ;D
my weirdness is in a good way,isn't it?

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
@heisenman:
Yep, it was mentioned but I'm double-checking to make sure it's fixed. I try to keep all the details in order, but every now and then one of them will slip between the cracks. I really appreciate the bug reports!
I'm also glad you like the dialogue. It's really fun to write and I often find myself chuckling at how it all comes together at the end. Hopefully the "good reader rewards" are a nice incentive as well. XD

@WeirdGameMaker:
I am trying very hard not to give an ETA because I really don't want to blow it and miss the deadline. But I'm so excited to share the 3rd chapter! It has some of my favorite locations, to date, and quite a few new party members. I just can't wait to show it all in action.
I will say, however, that I will be making a beta-tester post in a short while. I'm hoping 3 or 4 people can help me test the chapter and make sure it's as bug-free as I can get it.
My current project:

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
I have to say I am enjoying your mapping and story. I am particularly intrigued by the second screenshot in the cave - is that part in one of your demos? Things with lots of switches intrest me!

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
Thank you, Darico!

That particular shot was from a very early version of chapter 2. The puzzle combined switches with moving carts, but it was too frustrating for people and had a bug or 10 to work out. So, I reworked the area and removed it from play.

However, like you, I like switch puzzles. A few switch-based puzzles have already made their way into the new content I'm working on. Some are about sequencing (hit the right switches in the right order), there's one that makes use of a timer and I'm also trying to create one that combines switches with sound or light patterns.
My current project:

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Those sound like some really good ideas. Puzzles are a great way to add a new dimension to any RM game and the idea with the sounds and switches should be top. It's a shame about the cave and moving carts puzzle however, it might have been quite unique to your game.

I have tried out your demo and it is very good. I forgot to save the first time around and died when collecting nectar but isn't that always the way? lol. The tutorials are great and giving the bonuses to those who listen to them was a good idea. I assume you would be able to find more of those items throughout the game? As for the storyline, it developed nicely and always gave you enough to think about. Characters also developed well, and the use of different faces for different emotions (whilst widely used now) helped with this. Some faces are certainly amusing.

I look forward to the final product and if you want any ideas for puzzles let me know!  :D

Darico~

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Thank you, it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it. And I hope you'll get a chance to play a bit further, as the first chapter doesn't have a whole lot of puzzles, as it's rather story-heavy (which I'll probably fiddle with in the future, to balance it out with the rest of the game). I've tried for some more innovative puzzles in the tower (Chapter 2).

In theory, the moving cart puzzle was great, but I don't think I did the best job translating it into practical gameplay. It was slow and very frustrating/confusing for some players, which is something I want to avoid. I'd hate to see people feeling discouraged to play the game because of a puzzle.

I do, however, like the concept and I'm looking for a way to incorporate it into the game better. I have a couple proper mining areas where I can use the concept in, and I hope to make it a little more fun/challenging.
My current project:

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
I just wanted to drop by and say thank you for this wonderful game.
I really enjoy the dialogues. They're well written and fun to read.

There's one thing I have to mention, though.
When doing one of the side quests, I wasn't sure if I had to return to the miner's wife or not
(the one that wanted me to deliver a letter to him).

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to have some objective like "get your reward, fool" in the quest
or at least some notification that I just got a reward.
When I gave the letter to the miner and he teleported away I was kind of confused because
the quest was marked as completed but I had no idea if I had received a reward or not.

Apart from that it's a great game so far. Keep up the good work!  :D
English is not my native language, though I like to believe I'm quite good at speaking and writing. If you find any major mistakes, please tell me!

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
@Gonor:
Once you do receive the reward, the quest is removed from the log. The complete quest is just to let you know that you can now return to the quest-giver. I can see how this can be a little confusing, however, especially since it's not mentioned in the tutorial.

I've been working on adding the name and location of the quest NPC. The quest will now be colored "complete" when you can go claim your reward, but it will have an extra line telling you where to go get it.

Thank you for playing and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
My current project:

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
Actually, if you checked the newest version of the quest script (which was just released a week ago or so), it has that function built-in, a separate spot to include which NPC gives which quest, so you might wanna check it out xD

Though when mentioning bout that, removing the quest from the log after finishing is kinda "discouraging" XD There are lots of people I know which whenever they play, they would try to finish all the entry in the "game's encyclopedia", be it beastiary, item encyclopedia or quest log :3 A log full of finished quests give a lot of satisfaction (^o^)b *thumbs up*
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
I've downloaded it and plan to check out the full details soon. I'm a little hesitant to change if it involves reconfiguring script input commands, however. I added the quest script after chapter 2, and reconfiguring just all the content to add in the appropriate script commands (complete objectives and all) took quite bit of work and a large chunk of time. I feel like I'm already lagging behind, as is.  :-[

I can see your point about the quest collection (especially since I'm a player like that), but I'm not convinced it would be very practical to use the quest log for it. Because I'm also using the script as a checkpoint walkthrough (doesn't tell you how to do things, but hints at the next step) as well as for keeping track of quests, it's pretty lengthy. I'd like to have the quest log be fairly simple and clean, so information is always easy to find.

I'll have to think about it. I may just integrate it into a sort of fortune-telling concept I've been working on adding. It might tell you which areas have side quests you haven't done (but can currently pick up) on top of another couple secret things that I'm not yet revealing.  ^-^
My current project:

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Hey Luna, what's the missing_log.txt made by? Is there a script? It seems quite cool. Among, of course, all the other cool things.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
It's the Missing File Prevention script by woratana. It basically makes it so game doesn't quit if a resource is missing. Instead, it will display a message that X graphic/sound is missing and record it into the log. Very useful script, as it sucks to not be able to play a game over one missing file.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I'll look into that. I probably have it laying around somewhere in this computer. I'm replaying this game, and I have to say it's somehow better than it was before. Some great work.

Rep:
Level 71
Honing the Craft
Same here.

Found the battle system very different, did you had problems configuring it Lunarea?

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
It was pretty easy to configure. YEM is fairly user-friendly if you read the manual and spend some time looking up the features you want to include. I have a custom damage formula for some skills and I got creative with how certain spells work (especially some of Penelope's healing spells). But in general, I've spent far more time tweaking the database for different skills than I did configuring the battle system itself.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member

Twice Upon a Hero has been nominated for Project of the Season: Summer 2011. Place your vote in the voting topic

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
YAY Lunarea!
Good luck to you and your amazing project!

Rep:
Level 75
Sorry I ate the Chaos emerald...
Congratz lunarea!I hope your game will be a lot more amazing when its finished,and I also hope that it will be finished when you want it to be finished :)
anyway have fun with your nomination :D
my weirdness is in a good way,isn't it?

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
Oh my!

Thank you. It's an honor to be nominated.  :)
My current project:

Rep:
Level 84
I like this game so far. It's fun.

One issue that I had though. When you move the boxes to fix the bridge, if you line them up all on the left side, there's no way to get out of the puzzle area because the boxes block all ways out. I didn't know if you did that on purpose, or if you want to change it. Just thought I'd let you know.

Sadly, I hadn't saved recently before that, so I basically have to start over....

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I'm sure there is a puzzle restart button.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Positive there is a puzzle restart button.

Rep:
Level 84
No, what I mean was I was stuck and couldn't get to the other side of the puzzle. I couldn't get to the puzzle restart button. That's what I mean.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Oh, well that sucks then.
Lunarea, maybe just have a parallel process on that map that resets the puzzle if you press a certain button. Or put another button in on the other side of the puzzle.
EDIT:: Hang on a second, she's already done that. Press the 'A' button to reset the puzzle. It says at the start.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 01:48:30 AM by Pacman »