RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Need some map help please

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
You sure this is where we parked the airship...
OK here it goes I am sure this has been asked before but after hours of searching on every board I can find I am still unable to find anything that works... I am looking to make a very common RPG item, a world map, the issue I am having using common events and the like is that the item will call the image for the map but I cant get it to go away at a button command or anything the only way i can get the map image to close is to put a yes/no condition in that has to be clicked.  I am also trying to have said map show the players current location in game on the picture.
Thanx in advance for any help anyone can offer

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Mmm, well. There's a mini-map script created by Wortana, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. To show an image on a button press is pretty easy. Set up a common event, make sure it's set to Parallel Process and give it a switch. (Make sure this switch is turned on sometime so that the common event actually works. Best to just keep it on all the time.) In the common event place a conditional branch that checks if the player is pressing a certain button. Make sure it's an unused button. If yes, then show the picture of your world map. Then inside there loop another conditional branch checking if the player is again pressing either the same button or a different button. If yes, then break the loop, remove the image and it should start the processing back at the beginning.

This is a bad idea if you're using an ABS since it'd be possible to accidentally press this button during combat. Not good.

Uh, for checking your position on the picture is much more complicated. Check this: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,28850.0.html

It's a way to create a mini-map using images, however, you should be able to easily convert a tiny image that appears in the corner into an image that fills the entire screen. Of course, this image would be what you pull up from the common event.

It'll be tricky to get the two working together. I don't think you'd be able to do it and I haven't worked with VX in a while to tell you off the top of my head.

yeah I have the mini map up and running and I am using that for dungeons ie finding map in box trigers the switch to turn on mini  map of dungeon and that works great but it does not work so well with a large world map unless I have each new area of the world map load a new smaller piece of the entire picture of the world map. I will keep working on the item for world map as you have described and see if i can get it to work the way I want. Thanx for the help

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You won't be able to scroll a closer version of the world map. You'd have to have the whole world map fit on the screen. It may be possible to scroll it but I would have to think hard on how you could do that. So just make it one image. This way you get a general idea as to where the player is.

yeah scrolling would be very cool but not what i was thinking i was saying at the edge of what is in the smaller section picture make a new event that deletes the first section and loads the new section... but that seems like it would be kind of sloppy. OH on a side note anyone know of any way to export my maps as images rather than print screen and photoshop to get the image for the maps... not a real problem with the small ones but getting the placement just right on the large ones can be a pain when dealing with 6+ screens to splice together