RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK Winter Solstice Competition

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Winter is upon us.  For many of us, that means dinners with the family, trees tall and erect in the living room, adorned with a prismatic display of lights and decorations.  Snow is falling (for better or worse if you're getting it) and many are searching for gifts for those closest to them.

The season means something different to everyone, but overall the sentiment of the wintertime holidays seems to be good will and generosity.

This year, for the first year ever, I introduce the RMRK Winter Solstice Game Competition.  A themed competition to help spark the season and encourage creativity in a time when we're all coming close to vacation, and experiencing for ourselves what the winter holds.

SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED.

The Rules:
  • You may work in teams or individually. (no limit in size, but good luck coordinating a large group)
  • Your Submission must be complete on, or before December 25th, 2010.
  • You may not begin work on the game itself before December 1st, 2010.  This gives exactly 25 days for game work.  Game work constitutes - making sprites, scripts, database work, mapping work, music, and/or anything else that -you do- on the game.  You may gather resources and brainstorm, but no work on the game is allowed.
  • Your game must feature at least one of the following themes:  Humanity, Spirit, Hope, Generosity, or Forgiveness.  Embody the spirit of the season in your project in some way.  How these themes are presented and apply are subject to your own interpretation and artistic direction, so have fun with it.  Please state which you are using when you submit your game!
  • Any Game Making System is allowed, so long as your game is isolated, meaning that judges don't have to install loads of frameworks just to get them going.

Each game will be rated based on the following Categories:

• Originality - self explanatory, how original was the entirety of the work (this includes but is not limited to plot, resources, and mechanics)?
  • Polish - How polished/clean/professional was the end product?
  • Theme Adherence - how well was one or more of the themes embodied in the game?
  • Entertainment - how fun was the game? how immersive was it?

These guidelines encourage you to be original, to experiment, and to make the game fun.  Don't worry about established convention or complex mechanics.  Make the game clean, complete, fun, and YOUR OWN.

Judges will also be required to supply a full reasoning to their score of each segment, in the form of a review.

The categories per-judge will be averaged into a total score, and then all of the judges' totals averaged to determine Final Score.  Games will be competing for the highest Final Score.

Tips and Tricks from an Experienced Participant:
  • K.I.S.S.! - you have 25 days, this is enough to make something spectacular.  Often one or two amazing mechanics can truly push your entry towards the winners' circle, so don't try to muddy up the game with tons of superfluous features.  Focus on a theme, a direction, and a gameplay formula, and stick to it.  A straightforward and unique game is more fun than an overly-complex mass of features.
  • If You aren't an Artist, find one! - This applies to music, scripting, and anything else you're not good at.  Find community resources, or find a partner.  Lots of these things can be time consuming if you're not comfortable with your ability.
  • Don't bite off more than you can chew! - Keep the game as short as it can to be complete.  Don't shoot for the next Final Fantasy epic, or the next Tales of -, make your game a short story.  It'll be complete, giving time for polishing, and you can iron out the story much quicker, alleviating common plot ailments.
Judges:
  • NAMKCOR
  • IAMFORTE
  • Elfsong
  • Stereotypical
  • Holk

Entries:
  • Joy
  • Modern Algebra
  • Cozziecuns
  • The Shadow
  • Zylos
  • Jonesy
  • Acolyte + Arrow + Redwyn
  • valdred
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:10:38 AM by Solid Snake »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2014 Best Artist2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
Sigh..you know I'm an addict...fine..I'm in....

Rep:
Level 83
Though I have been very inactive in the game forums this year, I would like to join as a judge.

However, if I get a reliable framework for a game down before the 1st, I would like to be a participant. Probably won't though.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Though I have been very inactive in the game forums this year, I would like to join as a judge.

However, if I get a reliable framework for a game down before the 1st, I would like to be a participant. Probably won't though.

You are not allowed to work on the game until after December 1st, so if you're trying to somehow code your own framework beforehand, that's explicitly forbidden.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I suppose I can judge : 3 Holidays and such

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 83

You are not allowed to work on the game until after December 1st, so if you're trying to somehow code your own framework beforehand, that's explicitly forbidden.
A framework for games I plan to make anyway... I already have one, it is just slow and unresponsive.
I don't see how that is cheating, as RPG Maker and similar things are like frameworks (EDIT: are not frameworks, in my mind they are like frameworks. Don't wanna get yelled at for that). They have all the code for displaying maps, characters, etc.. Why can't I?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Because it's working on your game directly.

People aren't allowed to make graphics, or scripts, or maps, or audio (or etc...) for their games until it starts.  Specifically, scripts count as a framework within RPG Maker XP and VX, and are subject to the same rule.  I fail to see how coding from scratch is any different.

Rep:
Level 83
It is not working directly on my game. I will work on it regardless of participating or not. It is for general games and won't have anything specific for any game. It's not work on the actual game. It is the engine behind it.
I compare what you are saying to building a car for a race. Teams can build from scratch, or use a generic model with everything needed for the car to run already in it. From scratch, they would have to create their own engine, own set of tires, own frame, etc. Why wouldn't they be able to make generic parts for any car, and just use those parts, which are the equivalent to the generic model, in their car, as long as if the other competitors wanted, they could use these parts too?

EDIT:

I find myself not wanting to participate this year anyway, as the more pressing matter of my 2nd nephew's birth will take time away from working on a lot of things that I wish I could do. 4 hour drives to and from my sister's house are going to be fun..
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 12:29:51 AM by redyugi »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I think I will try to participate as a contestant. I might fail miserably, but I will try.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
yayyyy a game by MA! :O

rooting for underdog.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
It is not working directly on my game.

Regardless of any additional points, if it's original code that is applied to your entry (whether you participate or not whatever), then it counts as working on your game.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Eh, I may as well join. Don't expect too much though.

Rep:
Level 87

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I wouldn't mind signing up as a judge. Sounds like some good criteria. Good luck to all participants, too.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
This sounds like fun. Sign me up. However, are you allowed to recruit people to a team before the 1st?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
This sounds like fun. Sign me up. However, are you allowed to recruit people to a team before the 1st?
absolutely.

MY SON ALWAYS DREAMED OF A LIFE AT SEA!
Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
Are you still accepting judges I would join I've judged a lot of games and even do my own game review weekly so this sounds like fun!

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Also, are you allowed to make a game based on a fairy tale, but re-made to your own? Or does the story have to be made from scratch?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Also, are you allowed to make a game based on a fairy tale, but re-made to your own? Or does the story have to be made from scratch?

if it follows one of the themes.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Possible to judge since I'm too busy to enter?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'll be a judge. I should do something around here, I guess.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
ok we have more judges than contestants, so for now the panel is closed

Rep:
Level 87
Would anyone like to team up with me? I can provide custom sprite support [mainly characters] and various other things.