RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker PY (RMPY)

Rep:
Level 87
Want's to write a compiler for fun
RPG Maker PY (RMPY)
A Replacement RMXP Editor

I've created a github project for this endeavor https://github.com/Ryex/RPG-Maker-PY

There are numerous problems with RMXP. they are mostly small but they add up quick.
So I was inspired to create a new editor for the RMXP engine. one that isn't riddled with annoying limitations, avoiding all the shortcomings of the original.

I'm going to make it in Python, as such it will be cross platform. you will be able to edit the game on any platform that can run Python and wxWidgets.

I've already got a plan down for how it will work and I've got some basic code for the map editor and data done.

the purpose of this topic is to. 1) collect suggestions for things that potential users would like to see done different in the RMXP editor, and 2) perhaps recruit people to help with the project (if you would like to help PM me)

Suggestions

I need a list of all the issues that would need to be addressed. all the little thing that could of been done better.
If there is something you would like to suggest please use this format:

Issue Title: Title (give your suggestion a descriptive title so I can identify it in long topics)
Description: What is wrong. (what part of the RMXP editor could of been done better?)
Suggestion: How it could be fixed. (if you were to fix it how would it work?)

also please separate the suggestions from each other and from the rest of the post with at least one blank line.

here is the bbc for that format
Code: [Select]
[b]Issue Title:[/b] Title
[b]Description:[/b] What is wrong.
[b]Suggestion:[/b] How it could be fixed.

I have some rules/guidelines for what to suggest as there has been some stupidity and misunderstandings.

Rule 1: anything that would require editing the default RTP scripts included with rpg maker will not be considered.
Rule 2: don't be stupid. in other words I reserve the right to condemn a suggestion as stupid and pointless as there are some things that while they may be cool to someone they wouldn't add anything of value to the editor as a whole.
Rule 3: all suggestions must be limited to the editor that means the part of the program the edits maps events and item/armor/monster database stuff. no new functions like the ability to change the resolution, add mode7, add faces set, add better audio ect.

I will keep a running list of suggestions at the bottom of the topic.

also this topic is open for discussion/comments. feel free to express your op here

Photobucket album with updated screen shots of progress
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/ryex/RPG%20Maker%20PY/

Features requested so far:

Undo/Redo support
Text Entry Limitation Fix
Collapsing event commands
Paint style Tileset set up
Preview a map in the editor
test passibility on a map in the editor
enhanced map tools: replace tiles, find tiles, select tiles form all over the tiles set to form a costume brush
a simple debugger for the script editor (find missing ends, ), } or tell you if there is to many)
enhanced event editor, ability to type out event code if you want
batch switch and variable replacement, replace switches and variables used in events with another in case you changed the uses of said switch or variable
virtual folders or groupings for organization of lists in the database
make weapons and armor equip-able by classes by groups
better batch text processing. can help you know when a line will run over by what font and size your using
wysiwyg editor for show test that can do mark up
better map zoom options

NOTICE:
Chaos-Project has started a communality project to create Advanced RPG Creator (ARC).

As I'm now one of the four core developer sworking on ARC this project has become redundant. the projects are merging and RMPY will form the base of the ARC editor. nothing has been lost, in fact much has been gained. now there are 4 people working on the project and it will come with a new better engine instead of just a better editor.

I hope people aren't disappointed because I'm not.

all the best ~ Ryex
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:24:24 PM by Ryex »
Time: if it was truly linear I wouldn't be here and the world would be knee deep in ashes.

Rep:
Level 74
Don't underestimate Porings
Wow.
Just Wow.
Is there a map editor? I would
like a screenie of it. Keep pushing
forward with this project! :)

Rep:
Level 87
yes there will be an map editor, that is after all the heart and sol of the editor. in fact the base code to render maps is already done. I just can't test it yet as I can't read map data yet. I have some one working on writing a marshal reader for python right now. if he don't come through I'll have to get an alternate method of reading the files. probably an exporter base off something I was working on. problem is the exporter i bult in ruby took almost 30 minutes to export just the tile-set data...
Time: if it was truly linear I wouldn't be here and the world would be knee deep in ashes.

Rep:
Level 84
Could you code in a notebox field feature? using code from the vx version?

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Spriter
Unlimited charset frames.
It would be cool if you took all the features from 2k3, XP and VX, then mash them together to a mega rpg maker.

Rep:
Level 87
@wsensor I'm not sure what you mean, could you describe it more? perhaps user the suggestion template?

@Weavile I'm sorry no. I'm maying a new EDITOR not a new engine. new features can't be added to the game. only to how you can edit it. ie. making it so you can type event code as you would RGSS is something added to the editor. adding the ability to have extra frames for char animations is handled internally in the engine and is modified through RGSS.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
RMVX
Tilesets...
Make the possible number of them unlimited (rather than A-E in VX)
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 87
this is only for rmxp, I may expand it to rmvx latter but not before I get rmxp down

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Script Combatability Tester.

Says it all really.

Rep:
Level 87
ah, that might be possible, but It would require a database of compatibility to be maintained.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Two Questions. 1. Projected release date? 2. what does the PY stand for?

Rep:
Level 87
1) none set 2) PY stands for Python

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
How can you code with python, I've been wondering how to use it for awhile now but can't seem to grasp the way it is...
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 87
well... it is like ruby in a way. in general, programing is the same with any language. the syntax is different but the concepts you use are the same.
how can I do it? not sure I just do.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:38:11 AM by ryex »

Rep:
Level 87
I moved the project from sourceforge to github because Git is awesome.

Rep:
Level 84
What I meant was that in rpgmaker vx there is a NOTEBOX in the database. Extra information can be written into it and with some rgss code you can add more features that would not otherwise be possible.
rpgmakervx saves the notebox information into the game files.

Rep:
Level 87
ah yes, this has been suggested on RPG RPG revolution. I turned it down because this would require modification of the game engine. I can add a note feature but it will only be useable inside the editor

Rep:
Level 87
ok two things still not working in the map display; first I need to get autotiles to work (they really should be working already but they just don't it is just bliting empty bitmaps), second I need to get blank event to use transparent images and clean up the event outlines.

here is a demonstration of the awesomeness so far
Spoiler for Warning large image:

Rep:
Level 87
well after close to 8 strait hours of testing I FINALLY got autotiles to work, I have no idea why but apparently I needed a GraphicsContest and not just a normal MemoryDC in order to reliably blit bitmap data. oh and I needed a >= instead of just a > in one place *facepalm*.

Spoiler for Warning another big image:

next up, increase the speed of my needredraw method and hopefully get rid of the white bar the appears on the edge when you scroll. and possibly figure out why the fire is green  :<_<:

Rep:
Level 87
and importing is working with the new dialog
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the sheer epicness of this project. Keep it up, Ryex! I'm rooting for you!

Rep:
Level 87
just though I'd give people an update.

you should know that I'm a freshmen in college so while I really like working on this project I can't work on it when I have other responsibilities. so unless other programmers help me out I can't move very fast.

I'd also like to point out that helping me is very, very easy. you don't even have to work with the project full time. just fork my github repository and create your own. then work on adding a feature. when its done. send me a pull request and I'll review your code for integration into the main repository project. while I'd appreciate it if you contacted me and discuss what your doing. you can basically work entirely independent from me. you don't even have to do something major. you want to make a base for a larger system? go a head, you'll save me hours of trouble when I get around to finishing it off. now when I'm done your code might not be entirely intact, I may go through and fix or change some things depending on what happens in the finishing but you''ll still of been a great help.

that said, current progress. still at the same point sadly. I finished of the SDL version of the map editor only to find that it was only a tiny bit faster than the GDI version due to the fact that GDI still have to take the final product and blit it to the screen, if I had been to use an SDL context instead of passing an SDL surface to GDI things would of been different.. at it is now. I'm working on creating a OpenGL tile-map class that I can use to draw the map. it is a lot of overhead code and an extra library included but I know for a fact that this time I'll be able to run it at the needed speed.

road map right now is

*finish map display
*create a action framework that changed project data and allows for undo redo operations.
*work on map editing and get the brush system working
*public, feature incomplete, alpha release.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
y'see, I figured you were in school, but wasn't sure if you were soph or fresh... Hoping for the latter... You remind me of one of the guy's here: Blurt. He knows all about programming and has learned a bunch of languages, making us all look like fools, but his only problem is that he is too far ahead of all of us, and it gets him messed up...

Sadly, I don't know enough about coding in python (learning C++ now) to help you...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 87
Know all about programing? HA! I know what I've learned over that last three years teaching my self and that it, I'm not even in school to learn programing it's just a hobby for me. as for the languages I know: Ruby, Python, C#, Visual Basic, and an little C++ and PHP. I also know a little action script (though I've forgotten most of it). my experienced tells my that most programing languages are very simaler in that the concept of how to make something in one language can be used in most other languages though in some languages it can be made bettor or easier.

as for messed up I take it you mean he isn't doing so well in his classes? well thats how my first semester was. I'm not sure how this semester is going to go yet.

Rep:
Level 87
Chaos-Project has started a communality project to create Advanced RPG Creator (ARC).

As I'm now one of the four core developer sworking on ARC this project has become redundant. the projects are merging and RMPY will form the base of the ARC editor. nothing has been lost, in fact much has been gained. now there are 4 people working on the project and it will come with a new better engine instead of just a better editor.

I hope people aren't disappointed because I'm not.

all the best ~ Ryex

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Will you still be posting updates here, or only on the ARC thread you provided?

Rep:
Level 87
Only in on the forum I linked to. sorry if this is a problem.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
It's not a problem, I was only wishing for the confirmation, that way, I can unfollow this topic, since it will be dead other than random people asking you random questions that may or may not matter at all... ya know?