RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Townspeople Help.

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
Je voudrais pouvoir parler français.
I would like a script that makes an event temporarily be set to 'through' when the player or another event comes in contact with it and is standing in the way of its 'route' (meaning it is being stalled by the player because the player is standing in front of the NPC). For example, an NPC would be slowly walking his custom route. However, the player stands in the NPC's way and the NPC will be stuck forever until the player moves away. This can cause problems for events running on time. This is why I would like a script in which you can put a tag in the event's name, and upon any contact with the player or another NPC, the event will temporarily be set to 'through' so that it can walk past the player without problems.

The amount of time (in frames) the NPC has to wait until it becomes 'through' will be customizable. As well as the amount of frames the NPC will be in the 'through' setting until it turns off.

So yeah, for example, I could put the tag [THROUGH] in an event's name, and in the script I say that any event with this tag will start a countdown of 120 frames (this is a random number at the moment) upon first contact (and continuous) of the player. If the player has moved away from the custom path of the NPC, the countdown will be aborted. However, if the player is still in the way the countdown will keep going. After the 120 frames are done, the event's passability will be set to 'through', it will walk over the player, and it will continue on its custom route again. Then, after a set amount of frames, its passability will return back to the default.

Hope this isn't too overly-complicated or too much to ask.

Thanks in advance.  :)
Anatidaephobia- The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Out of curiosity, why not just have it set to through the entire time? I mean, if you have set routes anyways, the NPC's aren't going to go anywhere that having them set to Through will screw them over. Either that, or you can just have their custom move route set to ignore a command when there's something stopping them from fulfilling it (though that kinda would mess it up if you had a set pattern for them).

I've considered that before, but I need the script in the first place so a crowded city would be easier to navigate through. And I was trying to avoid the look of people constantly walking through one another. And I've also noticed that it's a harder and annoying to try to talk to someone when they're on 'through'. I might just need to stop being so picky, huh? :D

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
How about making a switch that, when the time event turns on, turns everyone into "through" events? All it would take would be to have each event in that particular town have two event pages: one normal, one "though"
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

What do you mean by 'time event'? Without a way to check if something is blocking another event's move route, I have no way to know when to turn on a switch to make everyone on 'through'. Know what I mean?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
That won't work exactly, Sash. AeghtyAteKees hit it pretty much on the dot that there'd be no way to know when to turn a timed event on or off, not without setting the NPC to event touch (which would mean you couldn't talk to them with the action button).

However, this sounds like a difficult thing to script because there's plenty of room for bugs. Let's see what we can come up with first with just events. *goes off to the workshop*

For starts, I'm just glad that someone understands what I'm trying to do. Everyone else I've asked about this looks at me funnily and tilts their head to the side. I hope this can be done, though, because it's something I really have been needing for a while now, since I have so many people on move routes in cities and whatnot which can easily be de-synchronized. Thanks, guys!