RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Earthbound-ish Battle System

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Earthbound-ish Battle System
Version: 1.0h
Author: cozziekuns
Date: October 24, 2010

Version History

• <Version 1.0i> 02.18.2012 - Bugfix.
  • <Version 1.0h> 08.09.2011 - Fixed some bugs here and there and also added a new feature.
  • <Version 1.0g> 08.08.2011 - Fixed a major bug concerning skill and item targeting.
  • <Version 1.0f> 05.09.2011 - (Hopefully) Fixed a major bug concerning random crashes.
  • <Version 1.0e> 12.21.2010 - Fixed a major bug concerning items.
  • <Version 1.0d> 10.24.2010 - Added a minor feature of transparency.
  • <Version 1.0c> 10.17.2010 - Fixed a major bug of being able to escape.
  • <Version 1.0b> 08.22.2010 - Fixed some bugs, like not seeing HP and MP when using skills
  • <Version 1.0a> 08.20.2010 - Fixed a major error
  • <Version 1.0> 08.13.2010 - Original Release

Planned Future Versions

• 1.1 or 2.0? Maybe.

Description

My first battle system, so I hope it's a half-decent one. It basically a remade version of the different Earthbound battle systems. Features from both Earthbound and Earthbound 2 come in this battle system, and maybe one or two things snuck in from Earthbound Zero. The rest of the battle system is purely custom.

There might be a bit of lag from the odometer, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Features

• A unique graphical system that gives a rejuvination to the old school Earthbound battle system.
  • On screen sprites that perform real-time movements, like in Touhou Mother.
  • Rolling-like Hit Point system, akin to Earthbound's system.
  • NO Damage Popups, because I like the retro feel more. You can always use Modern Algebra's Damage Popup Script.
  • NO Target Window, instead the enemy you are targeting will be whitened, like in Earthbound.

Screenshots

Enemies whiten when selected, like in Earthbound 2

Escape Animation, cause I can

Random picture of Duster Attacking

Instructions

See header.

Script

Way too long. Please retrieve it from the attached .txt document.

Credit

• cozziekuns

Thanks

• Earthbound, for inspiration.
  • wltr3565, for pointing out a major bug.
  • TDS, for helping me clear out a bug.
  • JDLXYZ, for pointing out a major bug.
  • Kail200X, for suggesting a feature and pointing out bugs.
  • aitherion, for pointing out a minor bug.

Support

Just post down here.

Known Compatibility Issues

None so far, but I imagine it won't be very compatible.

Author's Notes

Sorry about the roulette being just like a normal health bar, but I didn't have the time or experience to make that system. However, it should work exactly the same way.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:59:51 AM by cozziekuns »

Rep:
Level 84
Wow, looks great!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Wow, looks awesome cozzie. I'll definitely take a look at it soon. Three yays for cozziekuns!

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
The best BAKA ever
I do love how you make the battle system, a simple plug and play battle system and more graphical add ons at once, but this one has some fatal bugs...

- For some reason I can't switch targets...
- The HP scroll is pretty working, but doesn't that informative to the players. And you forgot to inform the mortal damage as well (where the damage makes the character's HP to 0)

Keep this up, this must be favorited! :twisted:

Rep:
Level 84
Fixed the target problem. Forgot that command windows become inactive when invisible :-[ I'm probably going to change the rolling hit point algorithm, but it won't show mortal damage for a while.

Rep:
Level 84
~ Legitimate Double Post ~

Updated to 1.0b. A few bugfixes, a slightly slower hit point system (will be customisable later), and you can now have inanimate sprites upon death if you choose.

RMRK Junior
Hi
Well, i must admit that this is a great system battle, i'm using it (of course i give you the credits).
But i detected 2 problems, and its that when an enemy uses an "absorb" attack, you don't lose any HP or MP  =/
the other one is that when you set that you can't scape from the battle, during the battle you can do it  u.u
(sorry for my english skills, i'm not very good u.u)

Well... that's what i detected. And thanks for this great script  :)

Rep:
Level 84
Fixed the escape problem. The drain problem is harder to fix, but I'll see what I can do.

RMRK Junior
Is there a way that the character sprite only show up when it's is turn, like in Mother 3?

Rep:
Level 84
Added a minor feature that allows you to set a characters transparency when it's not active. Still working on that drain glitch.

RMRK Junior
You are great! :D
I'm testing the last version :p
Thanks!

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RMRK Junior
I love how this script works but I found some problems...

first when you use an item on the menue screen...it dosent heal them untile you enter a battle...

second bug is the game crashes after a little while...and I have no clue why and it dosent give me a scripting error...usually trhis accures when a battle is finished...

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Is there any way to make this compatible with Dargor's custom commands and party switcher scripts?

Rep:
Level 84
Hmm... Sorry about all these problems. Unfortunately, I'm a bit busy with the winter solstice competition, but I'll be sure to fix them as soon as possible.

Rep:
Level 84
Alright, fixed enemene's item problem since that seemed like the biggest issue. I'll try fix some of the incompatabilites later, when I have more time.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Is there anyway to make this script compatible with Wora's SceneVictory script? The system is amazing but I don't want to have the boring old victory screen and Wora's script is amazing. Also, can you have more than 4 members in your party? That would be absolutely amazing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:06:16 AM by Timothy »
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
Where do I click so I can download it?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
The attachment at the end of the post, naturally.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Ah. I see it. I feel stupid :/

RMRK Junior
Fantastic system, dude. But I've ran into some problems :S

Whilst the odometer is quite awesome, it seems that let's say my character has 78 health, andhe gets dealt with 100, he will die. (That's normal.)

But after he dies and I revive him, the remaining 22 damage suddenly starts running down again! This is a problem, because not only is it kind of weird, it also makes reviving difficult.

That, and I noticed after I sued your script, my game randomly crashes :(.

I think the problem might be fixed if you could find a way so that it won't drop the remaining health after death.

Thanks again, though. Great job on it!

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Where is the attached .txt file? :blizj:

Rep:
Level 71
Honing the Craft
Its a very good script but the kicker is:

Sometimes the thing just crashes...

Also i would like to see it work with any "battle aftermath-like" scripts and  the large party ones because a few people use them.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:43:09 PM by M@pple »

Rep:
Level 84
Well I'm not sure why it crashes; can you give some examples of why it crashed and try to recreate the scenario?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
If I had to make a guess about why it's crashing, I would say it's because of any new sprite classes created for the script.

I looked a bit at the script and noticed that the "Sprite_BattleActor" class lacks a dispose method with a super.

It might not sound like much, but after making a lot of battle systems I've learned that Sprites need to have a dispose method with super even if you're not terminating anything within it.

Of course all of this is just speculation based on experience, and the crashes could be caused by something else, but most of the time a battle scene crashes for no reason after a few uses it's usually due to not disposing sprites properly.