RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Earthbound-ish Battle System

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Thanks for the advice TDS! I went ahead and changed that (I was under the assumption that a dispose method wasn't needed, but better safe than sorry). Lets hope it works.

Also went ahead and cleaned up the script a bit.

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
RMRK Junior
It's just a cosmetic issue, but it'd be great if you updated the HP windows into four separate boxes.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
What do you mean?
Do you not like that they don't have borders? Coz I could do that for you, easy. I could also do a guage.
In fact, I'm gonna do that as soon as I can. Of course, I wouldn't post it unless it was okay with Cozzie.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

RMRK Junior
Heh, I've been waiting for Earthbound battle system! Thanks or making it, but I seem to get error when I try to engage in battle.

Script '' line 993 NoMethodError occured, undefined method `+' for nilclass

And the line 993 states, @spriteset.active_battler += 1
What shall be the problem? ???

Rep:
Level 84
Sure Pacman, I wouldn't mind if you did that.

@Nitromatic: Not sure why you get that problem; it's probably a script incompatability because I didn't alias the classes very well. Could you press Shift+Ctrl+F on the Script Menu and tell me which scripts contain the phrase "Spriteset_Battle" (excluding the RTP Scripts of course).

RMRK Junior
I got this. It's script that turns battle background black. But I don't think it is the reason for crashes. I think it's the line,  @spriteset.active_battler += 1. I took '+' from it, and it works! (but the graphics don't seem to work.)

But if you want, here's the script for the background.
Spoiler for:
#==============================================================================
# ** Spriteset_Battle - Black Battleback
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  This class brings together battle screen sprites. It's used within the
# Scene_Battle class.
#==============================================================================

class Spriteset_Battle
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Create Battleback Sprite
  def create_battleback
    bitmap = Bitmap.new(640, 480)
    black = Color.new(0,0,0,255)
    bitmap.fill_rect(0, 0, 640, 480, black)
  end
  # * Dispose of Battleback Bitmap
  def dispose_battleback_bitmap
    #@battleback_sprite.bitmap.dispose
  end
  # * Dispose of Battleback Sprite
  def dispose_battleback
    #@battleback_sprite.dispose
  end
  # * Update Battleback
  def update_battleback
    #@battleback_sprite.update
  end

end[spoilerend]

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
You need the + in there for the script to work properly. You can't just take out operands. There's nothing wrong with either of the scripts, they're just incompatible. I'd take a look at it, but I'm so tired I'm about to collapse on the fhyaqoieljfsd keyboard. Whoops.

RMRK Junior
You need the + in there for the script to work properly. You can't just take out operands. There's nothing wrong with either of the scripts, they're just incompatible. I'd take a look at it, but I'm so tired I'm about to collapse on the fhyaqoieljfsd keyboard. Whoops.

Yes, I know. Script finally crashed because of it. I just have to test out what scripts don't work with this. ???

Thank you, everyone!

RMRK Junior
What do you mean?
Do you not like that they don't have borders? Coz I could do that for you, easy. I could also do a guage.
In fact, I'm gonna do that as soon as I can. Of course, I wouldn't post it unless it was okay with Cozzie.

Er, I should of used a screenshot.

Like this, each party member has it's own window.

VS the current version

Where things are all connected. I just find that separating them gives it a nicer look.

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
RMRK Junior
I'm new to RPG Maker VX. I did all the Instructions, but the Battle System doesn't show up. Is there a script that I need to edit to make it work?

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
Are you using the battle scene?
You need to enter a battle to see the battle system.

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
It works perfectly, i created a suicide move and i killed the enemies quick enough. just like earthbound :zwink: :) ;)

RMRK Junior
Any chance of making an XP version?

Actually, all I would be interested in would be the odometer system.

How easy would it be to make the odometer code suitable for XP?

Rep:
Level 84
Unfortunately, backward combatability isn't high on my to do list, but an odometer system is easy enough to do.

RMRK Junior
Yeah, the script is awesome! But for my XP project I only need rolling HP/MP.

I figure it's pretty easy to code, but I'd have a hard time extracting just that part from your code.
If you could take just the odometer bit and make it backwards compatible, I'd be in your debt.

Heck, even if you just made an odometer only script I could take a whack at making it for XP myself.

RMRK Junior
Was the drain/absorb HP problem ever fixed?

Rep:
Level 84
I recall that it was.

RMRK Junior
This works great! I only have one comment. When selecting a skill or spell, the skill window doesn't go away, so I'm peering through the window to see what I want to hit. Other than that, works great!

Rep:
Level 84
Apologies to everyone for not updating this topic as hastily as I should have; I've been neglecting what's probably my most popular topic.

@JDLXYZ: Thanks for the bug report! Fixed.

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
Is it possible to set it up to where you can change how high above the status window the actor sprite is? I could look around and screw with the numbers, but I don't want to destroy the script @.@

I also noticed something funny about targeting: When you only have one party member and you're trying to use an item or spell on that party member, it creates a separate window like this:

One last nitpick: If you have the actors turn when attacking, they don't turn back and face the screen when it's their turn again.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:42:43 PM by Kail200X »

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
Thanks for finding those bugs! They should all be fixed (I hope). Also added the feature you suggested. You can now set the Y-Offset of the actors.

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>

This occurred when I tried to use an item on the actor again. It didn't show any selection window this time, it just immediately did this, and has done it multiple times @.@;

One final other nitpick too--when the odometer has a high delay and the actor takes damage, the odometer stops after the monster's turn ends, and then immediately changes to however much HP the actor has left. In other words, the HP reduction doesn't occur in real-time, it only occurs during an active turn. This may or not be because of Yanfly's turn order fix, but I dunno.

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
Fixed.

As for your other problem, I guessing that this is being caused by YF's Turn Order Fix.

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
Nope, it's not the turn-order fix--I took it out and the problem was still there.

I checked to see if it was because I had it not playing any sound while the odometer was rolling (I simply deleted the "Shop" out of the line of code where you set SFX to play), and that didn't fix it either.

I put it in a normal project though, and it was fine... not sure what's causing it.

I'm using the following scripts:

o Font Change - Basic script that allows you to change the system font.
o AutoStep by ExHydra - Causes actors and events to step in-place at the same speed when the stepping animation is on.
o Scene_Menu Edit + Mother Menu by Modern Algebra, Woratana, and Arrow-1 - Edits scene_menu in order to create a menu style like Mother / Earthbound.
o Equip Edit by DerVVulfman - Changes how many equip slots are available in the equip menu.
o Dash Speed edit (YanFly Engine RD) - Allows you to alter dash speed.
o Encounter rate change (YanFly Engine RD) - Allows you to alter the encounter rate and allows you to allot a certain number of steps that MUST be taken before battle.
o Poison Damage Add-on by you (Cozziekuns) - Shows a message for poison damage (haven't tested it yet).
o Earthbound Battle System by you
o YanFly Engine Melody Core Fixes - A bunch of scripts in one:
 - Animation Overlay Fix
 - Bitmap Error Fix
 - Disposed Window Debug
 - Enemy Reappear Fix
 - Game Interpreter Fix
 - Help Window Codes Upgrade
 - Menu Actor Switch Fix
 - Message Window Actor Fix
 - Outlined Text and Gauge upgrade
 - Prevent Skill Scene Actor Switch
 - Shown States Fix and Upgrade
 - State Resist Fix
 - Turn Order Fix
 - Usable Item Fix
 - Wait for Animation Fix
 - Variance Fix
(Yes, I did remove this and attempt to run the project to see if it would fix the problem, but it didn't).
o YanFly Engine RD Animation Fix (for the sake of setting specific animations and preventing the overlap bug).

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 84
Sorry for being so bothersome, but it's easier for me if you can isolate the incompatability. To try find the incompatability, do as outlined by Modern Algebra in his tutorial.