RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Star Ocean 3 Encounter System (VX)

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
All right, I've started work on my first real game in VX (no title yet), and I was playing Chrono Trigger on the DS when I thought back to Star Ocean 3 on the PS2 and the encounter system that game used.

Of course, this system is very easy, but I feel it's incomplete. Just put events down that trigger battles, and afterwards erase said event.

However, I want to have the events reappear after a set amount of time, but I don't know how to do it. Is it script-based? It's the only thing keeping me from making this encounter system work properly.

Insert something witty or profound here.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I think it can be done with a timer or a set move route (in which the event waits, but you don't) where it turns the Self switch back off after a certain number of frames.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
I think it can be done with a timer or a set move route (in which the event waits, but you don't) where it turns the Self switch back off after a certain number of frames.

That didn't seem to work. Maybe the only way to respawn enemies is to leave an area and come back?

I'm including screencaps of the event I made. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Yeah, you have a third page that doesn't seem to do anything.

Whenever there's multiple event pages, it loads the page with the highest number whenever possible.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
I thought the third page was needed...guess not... I'll delete it and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, no, it didn't work. I guess it's just not possible to respawn events on the map once they've been erased.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:32:40 PM by TempestXtreme »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
If you're still having trouble, just send me a demo again and I'll see what's up.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
Yeah, okay...here it is. As far as I can see, the only way to get enemies to 'respawn' when using this kind of encounter system is to leave the map and return.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
It was a simple fix. Just make the second page a parallel process and adjust the wait time (60 frames = 1 second)

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
Damn, you people are good. I guess I still have a long way to go :\

Thanks for the help, again. :)

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
No problem.

For the record, though, you might want to set the first page to "event touch", since a player could conceivably avoid confrontation by not pressing in the same direction that the monster is. Also, a monster won't be able to ambush a player without event touch, either.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Junior
No problem.

For the record, though, you might want to set the first page to "event touch", since a player could conceivably avoid confrontation by not pressing in the same direction that the monster is. Also, a monster won't be able to ambush a player without event touch, either.

I'm aware of that, I just chose to be a dick and not change it ;) In Star Ocean 3 and Chrono Trigger, enemies CHASE you. I'd like to do that myself, really XD