RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Shatter Transitions

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Shatter Transitions
Version: 1.0
Author: modern algebra
Date: May 12, 2010

Version History

• <Version 1.0> 05.12.2010 - Original Release

Description

This script allows you to have more dynamic battle transitions that directly change the on-screen image, rather than simply blend it as normal transition graphics do. It also includes a feature to use RMXP style transitions, meaning that the next scene will show up behind the transition instead of simply being black.

There are 11 new types of transitions:
  • Zoom In - this simply zooms in quickly on the player
  • Vertical Blinds - screen splits into 8 vertical bars and they alternate, one moving up and the next moving down
  • Horizontal Blinds - screen splits into 8 horizontal bars and they alternate, one moving left and the next moving right
  • Horizontal Curtain - Screen splits vertically down the middle; the left side slides to the left and the right side slides to the right
  • Vertical Curtain - Screen splits horizontally down the middle; the bottom slides down and the top slides up
  • Rotate & Shrink - the whole screen rotates and shrinks
  • Grid Rotate & Shrink - the screen is divided into a 4x4 grid, and each piece rotates and shrinks individually
  • Shatter & Fall - the screen shatters according to its image and the pieces rotate & fall at varying speeds
  • Shatter & Shrink - the screen shatters & the pieces rotate & shrink
  • Shatter Pivot Collapse - the screen shatters and the pieces rotate 90 degrees from one edge
  • Shatter Motion - the screen shatters and the pieces will move up, down, left, or right at varying speeds depending on the image.
Shatter Image Transitions: the last four require shatter images and will split into a number of pieces depending on how the image is set up. See line 67 for instructions on image setup. Also, some of these may lag on slower computers, so if you are worried about that, then only use the first 7 transition types or use shatter images with less pieces. You can also try to just turn off rotation, since that is the most likely culprit - the configurable options in the script allow you to set a switch that, when ON, will turn rotation off.

Features

• Allows for some neater transitions
  • Can also turn on RMXP style transitions, which puts the scene being transitioned to directly behind the transition, instead of a black screen
  • Can easily create your own shatter images
  • Options to reduce lag
  • Everything important in the script is controlled by in-game switches and variables

Screenshots

Instructions

Please see the header of the script.
Shatter Images must be placed in the System folder of Graphics.

Script

The script is rather long. It's attached as a demo. I recommend looking at the demo to see them in action and how to set them up. However, I have attached it as a text document with some sample shatter images, if you don't want to download the demo.

Credit

• modern algebra

Thanks

• Skies of Arcadia, for having this feature

Support

Please post here at RMRK for support.

Known Compatibility Issues

No currently known compatibility issues.

Demo

See attached.

Author's Notes

I am terrible when it comes to graphical features; the coding for these effects are kind of a hack job and the effects themselves are kind of weak. Sorry. If you have any ideas on how to improve the existing algorithms, or if you would like to see a new feature, I would love to hear about it.

Also, if any of you make your own shatter images, I would love it if you shared them here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:20:40 PM by modern algebra »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Sweet! This is a simple yet awesome visual effect that definitely adds good flare to a game. =D

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Looks way better than the default transition. Way, way better.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Thanks guys :D

I have a feeling that the rotating ones generate lag, but I don't have any bad computers I can test it on :(

Rep: +0/-0Level 81
[Awesome phrase here]
This script is pure awesome.  ;D

You are the smartest person I know.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I have just gone blind from overexposure to your pure awesomeness!

I mean that.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
I'm glad you guys like it!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm going to bump this with a question for you modern.

What would I use in a script call if I wanted to execute one of these transitions as a map transition temporarily?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
You would probably want to put it into the perform_transition method of whatever scene you are wanting to call, and put in a code like this:

Code: [Select]
      if prepare_shatter_transition (shatter_type)
        Graphics.transition (0)
        execute_shatter_transition
      end

To replace the regular: Graphics.transition (15)

What you replace will depend on where it's coming from though.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
it'd be Scene_Map to Scene_Map, but only when through a particular type of event (not a transfer between maps normally via event).

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
I apologize for the super bump, but I was just wondering if there is a chance of this being ported in RMVXA?

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Most Promising Project2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Participant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
I apologize for the super bump, but I was just wondering if there is a chance of this being ported in RMVXA?

Updated for VXA here.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5