RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Nintendo DS + Flash Cart / Computer Build

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
So, I'm thinking about getting a DS and a flash cart thang since there's a lot of games on the DS I want to play. I had a couple questions that I hoped people could answer:

- Which DS do you recommend I get? Original DS? DS Lite? DSi?
- Where is the most reliable and cheapest place to get a DS/Lite/i? Same with the flash cart
- How many games fit on 1 GB of the cart?
- Are you able to play the games from the flash cart online as well? I'm thinking "yes," but I want to make sure P:

I might bump this thread in a few months because I'm getting a paid internship over the summer ( ;8 ), and my computer sucks, as you all know, so I plan to get a new computer. I'm hoping Roph can help me with parts-deciding. ;-; I can probably get a friend to help me put it together, too.

So, Roph or whoever you are, what're the price ranges for computers? Like $100 ranges. Example would be, like:

- $0 - 100 = crap
- $101 - 200 = bad
- $201 - 300 = okay

etc.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Okay, here's what I know, and I may be wrong about a couple things. I strongly advise you to do some research or your own.

I have a DSi. I have an Acekard 2i Flash Cart. The Acekard 2i lets you plug in a microSD card, which I have loaded up with DSi Roms. DSi roms are around 16-32 MB in size. (I think?)
I cannot play GBA or GB games on my DSi. Only DSi games.

This is because:
1. The GBA slot is not present on DSi's. It IS on DS and DS Lite.
2. I have an Acekard 2i.
IF I GOT THIS: http://www.dsiplayer.us/
I would be able to play GBA games (but I don't know if it lets you play downloaded DSi Roms like the Acekard 2i does.)
You see, other DS flash carts, or whatever you want to call them, CAN'T handle GBA emulators. This is because most DS flash carts don't have their own processors. The iPlayer DOES have its own processor, and therefore it gives the DSi a little boost in speed/power, ALLOWING it to run GBA emulators and roms.

So ... DSi vs. DS/DS Lite

DSi:
+ Bigger screen! More capabilities (for newer games), better interface. Looks MUCH cooler. Cameras!
- No GBA slot, so no GBA flash carts.
(+ the iPlayer MAY be capable of running DSi roms. It probably is, but I really can't say for sure. If it DOES, this means you'd only have to buy ONE flash cart to run GBA AND DS games)

DS/DS Lite
+ DS AND GBA slots, so you can use both a GBA and a DS flash cart.
- Now you have to buy two flash carts, one for DS and one for GBA. Smaller screen. Older interface, uglier design.
(+ the iPlayer MAY be capable of running DSi roms. It probably is, but I really can't say for sure. If it DOES, this means you'd only have to buy ONE flash cart to run GBA AND DS games)

Really, it rides entirely on these factors:
1.) Do screen size and new features matter to you?
2.) Do you actually OWN any GBA games already?
3.) Will the iPlayer run DSi roms?

That's all I can do for you. I'd suggest doing some research yourself, now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:22:47 PM by arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Upon looking at one of the links I posted, I noticed that the iPlayer does NOT run DS roms. you'd have to buy two separate flash carts for DS and GBA roms.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
DSonei runs both.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Hm... I think I might get the DSi because of its added capabilities which means a bigger array of games. P: And DSonei works with DSi? That seems to be what I've gathered from quick research/common sense. P:

And you can play online/wifi with flash carts? As I've said, I guessed "yes," but I haven't seen any exact answers online about it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Also, I may have to report this thread in a few months so Roph will pay attention to it and give me help on computer parts/builds. :mad: I'd really like to start thinking about that more than the DS, actually.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Yes you can play games online through flash cards.

I would suggest the CycloDS, though it is more expensive than others, if not the DS1i.

If you want to play GBA games though you can get Slot two cards for DS lite that are the same size as the cover, so you wont have anything sticking out the bottom of your DS.

And i would say wait for the DSXL just for the increased battery, and that people have said it is much better quaility build than the DSi

Rep:
Level 81
From my own experience, I would recommend the Acekard 2.1i. Compared to my last M3 Simply, its miles better.

Also, they constantly update to fix issues and problems, which means that if the DSi were to get updated like it did when it went up to 1.4, you wouldn't have to worry about your card no longer working.

Good luck with your choice sir (:

-Xiofire

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Dsonei is the best.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yes you can play games online through flash cards.

I would suggest the CycloDS, though it is more expensive than others, if not the DS1i.

If you want to play GBA games though you can get Slot two cards for DS lite that are the same size as the cover, so you wont have anything sticking out the bottom of your DS.

And i would say wait for the DSXL just for the increased battery, and that people have said it is much better quaility build than the DSi
DSiXL is already out, lol. $180, though. >.< I guess I'll have to think about it. I'm probably going to get that DSonei card...

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
How much do you want to play games online? I'd suggest getting a NO$GBA, since you don't have to buy a flash card. If you want a flash card though, I'd suggest a R4. Pretty cheap, and works fairly well.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
How much do you want to play games online? I'd suggest getting a NO$GBA, since you don't have to buy a flash card. If you want a flash card though, I'd suggest a R4. Pretty cheap, and works fairly well.

R4's don't get updated that often, if at all anymore so there are a lot of problems with them.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Plus, having an actual DS is cooler. P: And playing games online is actually pretty big for me. There's a limit to where you can enjoy playing on your own, imo. For games like Pokemon, trading is big, and to test yourself/your pokemon against other people is pretty big for me. It allows for more play time. P:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I have the Acekard2i.  It's great, no problems at all.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon