RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX} Having trouble with exp, levels, and difficulty.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm making a very short game.

It has:
1 player. Basic warrior, with a sword.
4 fields, each with 2 enemy groups. About 2-3 encounters per field.
2 Mini-bosses, 1 Final boss.
1 starting weapon, 1 purchased sword (before questing), 2 dropped swords (from mini-bosses).
1 starting armor, 1 purchased armor (before questing), 1 found armor, 1 dropped armor (from 2nd mini-boss).
I want 4 or 5 different skills. Dual attack, and then a mix of other attack skills/magic.
Max level will be about 12 or so.

Can anyone help me adjust the settings for enemies, weapon/armor rating, and my player's stats?

Going through the game, I either end up being horribly over-powered, or getting my ass kicked by one attack. The system for adjusting enemy power and such has so many variables, I'm not really sure what to do...

Help? :(

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You say very short game, but does that mean short in the amount of time you play it in? or short in the amount of things to do in it? If the first, then I would give your enemy troops a fair amount of EXP to drop for the player to level up quicker to pass through the game at a higher pace. If the latter, then I'd make enemies more grind-able. Easy to kill, low exp but a lot of 'em.

As for something being overpowered compared to something else, that's pretty experimental. I tend to stick with low numbers. For instance, I generally start my player off with like 20HP and less than 5 of other basic stats and let the weaponry dictate how much more powerful they become rather than the stats they level with. So I give them a shallow level curve. I'm not saying that's the way to go, that's just how I generally tend to do it. But like I said, it's pretty experimental. When you test the enemy battles (which you can do from inside the database instead of having to test play the game each time) test them out with the max armor and weapons that the player could have at that moment in the game.  Also, you might want to think about strategy. If you're too strong, it's a simple "Press A a lot" game. If it's too hard, it's a "fuck this game, I'm going home" game. lol

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Yeah, it takes a lot of battle testing. For what it's worth, the damage formula is:

(where attack and defense includes stats from equipment):

damage = [(4*attacker attack) - (2*target defense), 0].max
damage is then multiplied by the the element of the attack to which the target is most weak. That's a percentage.
If the damage at this point is 0, then it will randomly choose between 0 and 1 so the attack will do one damage half the time. If it's greater than 0 and if the target doesn't have prevent critical, it will check for a critical. If it gets a critical, damage is multiplied by 3.

After that, it applies a variance of 20, which works like this:
amplifier = [(absolute value of damage + 20) / 100, 0].max
damage += (random number from 0 to amplifier + 1) + (random number from 0 to amplifier + 1) - amplifier

Then, if the target is guarding, it divides damage by 2, and if the target has super guard, it divides by 4.

Rep:
Level 96
Thanks, guys.
I'm using this game merely as a way to present some music I wrote, so I'll be playing it live. The whole thing shouldn't last more than 14 minutes of play time. The battles don't need to be perfect, I was just having trouble figuring out why the Demon's Shade spell always did ~300 damage no matter what I did to alter how powerful it was in the editor...

Like, all that "base dmg/variance/etc" stuff was throwing me off.

Thanks, though. I'll adjust the level curve like you said, Grafikal, that's a good idea.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Lol, try not to lose in front of a crowd. =o That would blow haha

Rep:
Level 96
I made a spell called "Deus Ex Machina" that immediately kills everything, in case things get dicey.

lol

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
hahahaha that's the best thing I ever heard.