RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Help] Making 2D landscape appear 3D

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Hopefully I made the correct choice in starting this thread here instead of in the RMVX Resources board. I apologize if I was incorrect  :O

I have been attempting to make a sloping hill with trees in the backdrop with a house on the top of the hill ... and I believe that I have been failing badly. Would anyone have any suggestions on how I would better go about adding depth to this image?

[ With trees ]

[ Without trees ]

EDIT: Tried a few more things, but something still seems off to me. Maybe it's because I've been working on it so long ... I'm not sure.  :|   

[ With trees ]

[ Without trees ]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:24:39 PM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
The gallery is a forum for art not related to game making by 2k, 2k3, XP, VX, GameMaker, etc. So I'll just move it to the VX Resources for now, since you've indicated that that is what you're using. No problem about posting in a different place.

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Basically this will be the final edit unless anyone has any suggestions for me. The trail seems kind of 'off' to me still ... but I don't really want to put it on a slant, as that will make it difficult for the player to move down.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You're doing pretty good, I think. Basically, you would just create a gradient lightest at the top of the hill and darkest at the bottom, like you've pretty much done. You've done a good job giving the hill a 2nd perspective at the left side of the path leading down the trees. I think the only thing that might help is if the trees had shadows and if the trees got progressively darker as they go 'down' the hill. Great job otherwise.