RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
(Resolved) I have a few questions. Can you help me out?

Rep:
Level 82
Over a couple of years, I have attempted to make a game. All attempts failed until now. I have gotten better, and I'm learning more with each passing day. However, I still need some assistance.
Currently, I'm working on 2 games: One is the main storyline, the other is a short spin-off story. They're both in the same universe, and both are in the same era.
The questions I have:
1) Is it alright to use the same tilesets/character sets for both games, but slightly modified? These games are like 2 stories, but in different areas.
2) Normally, in Survival Horror games, you are alone to fight of the freaks. But in my spin-off game (Which is a Survival Horror), you could be allied with up to 3-4 people. However, they won't be with you throughout the game, they'll just appear during certain events. Is that okay for a game?
3) Is there a creepy kind of puzzle for a modern city? For instance: In a mansion, you'd have to swap pictures' places, or remember a lullaby. And in a rural village, you'd have to ring the churchbell, or figure out the symbols in the graveyard. What kind of creepy puzzles are there in a modern city?

In advance, thanks! Oh, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a topic like this. For future reference, can someone direct me to the right board?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:45:26 AM by aithest »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I'll move this for ya. This is a perfectly reasonable topic, but since it's not maker specific (these questions could be asked of a game made in any program) it's best suited to live in Game Creation General Chat. :)

1.) Yes. It will help to tie the two projects together in a familiar and recognizable way, and that will help to immerse the player in your world.

2.) Absolutely. Look the Resident Evil: Outbreak games. You had a partner with you at all times in those games.  Having a rotating cast would be itneresting, and give you a few plot devices to boot.

3.) Getting lost in a  big city can be one of the scariest experineces a person can live through, especially in the "bad part of town". If you can lead the player down a few similar looking back alleys, and drop them off in a run down neighborhood (abandoned buildings, dead silence, lack of light, strange shapes in the shadows) you can bet that you'll give them a good chill. It's all about atmosphere. Form this point, the puzzle would be finding your way back to safety- looking for landmarks, hints that will show you the way. To up the fear factor, punish the player when they fail to see the signs- severely.

Rep:
Level 82
Ah, okay! Thanks for your feedback, and also for moving this!  :D

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
No problemo amigo! Glad I could help you out in your early projects. Feel free to just post here in this topic again if you have new questions- if I notice your post, I'll be more than happy to provide you with insight.