RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] ARLEN, MASTER OF THE SHRINE, COME HITHER

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I need help. I can't tell the different between a motive/motif, sequence, and a phrase member.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:56:54 AM by irock »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
How dare you command Lord Arlen. Beg for his forgiveness, swine!

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
A motive/motif is a repeated pattern within a song. It can be either be (usually) a melodic motif or a rhythmic motif. A sequence is two or more motifs (in direct succession) in which the following motifs move up or down either diatonically or with a true transposition. (this leads to different kinds of sequences) A Phrase member, I've never heard the term before, but a quick look on google has provided me with a definition.

PHRASE MEMBER: A short melodic unit that comprises a portion of a phrase, usually contains several motives.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh, thank you. :) My theory teacher doesn't know what she's talking about most of the time so it gets confusing. It's good to know that motifs make up a sequence.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
If they're part of the sequence, you call it a sequence segment, but yeah. Essentially they are the same thing :).

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
MY WILL BE DONE THROUGH MY MINIONS

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
You and your silly plagal cadences.

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
ARL, RYAN, LEBER, CLOUDEDSERAPH, I DESIRE YOUR HELP ONCE MORE.

We've been getting into textures lately, and I have no idea what the heck is going on. I can differentiate polyphonic from the others, but what's the difference between monophonic and homophonic? Does monophonic have to be exactly mirrored in the other voices or can they vary a little?

Also, I DON'T GET HOW TO TELL APART PRIMARY MELODIES, SECONDARY MELODIES, HARMONIC RHYTHMIC SUPPORT, HARMONIC SUPPORT, RHYTHMIC SUPPORT, AND ALL THOSE OTHER TEXTURAL ELEMENTS. ;-;

Rep:
Level 96
Monophonic = one voice. Like a singer, singing a melody, all alone, with nothing else.
Homophonic = many voices, but with one unifying rhythm. Like playing chords on a piano or guitar. There's more than one note, or voice, but they all happen at the same time.
Polyphonic = many voices, many rhythms. Pretty much everything most people already know as music.

As for the rest, I was never really taught such specifics about things like that. (not that I wouldn't like to have such a course)
But my guess is that ...

Primary melody is the main melody, the melody of focus, and the secondary melody would be the harmonization of that original melody. Like if a person's singing a melody, and for a measure or two somebody sings with him/her. They sing the original melody, but say a 3rd or 5th higher. So, they're not singing the original melody, but rather are enhancing it. Harmonizing.
It might also simply be another melody, like a counter-melody.

Harmonic Rhythm Support I guess would be like an acoustic guitar or piano just playing chords in the backround.

Harmonic Support might be if, instead of the second singer, a group of singers come in to support the main singer, but instead of singing something similar to the melody the main singer has, the group sings drawn out chords to support the harmony and chord changes taking place in the piece.

Rhythmic Support is percussion, or ANY instrument giving the piece a sense of movement or rhythm. Bass and guitar are used for Rhythmic Support along with drums in most rock songs. You may also know this as a "riff."

Those are my guesses, anyway. Lol.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:24:16 AM by arlen »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
lolk thanks. But I heard homophonic was the one that most people know as "music." ?_?

Rep:
Level 96
Hm. Maybe you're right.

I guess chord-based songs count as homophonic, albeit melody-driven homophony.

And polyphonic is more about two or more independent melodies happening at once.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been over basics, lol.

Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Here's some ways to remember stuff. And if I say anything offensive, it's not supposed to be taken that way, it's just a memory device.

Monophonic - (mono - one, phonic - sound) so a single voice
Polyphonic - (poly  - many, phonic - soudn) so, many voices
Homorhythmic - (homo - same, rhythmic - rhythm) so, everything has the same rhythm (ie. hymn-style)
Homophonic - (homo - same, phonic - sound) so, a melody and an accompaniment. different lines, but sound the same, whereas polyphonic will have multiple melodies. (this is the one that might offend a lot of people, but a girl in my class accidentally read this as "homophobic", so the way a few of the people in my class remember this, is that every gay man needs his partner)(ie. melody - man, accompaniment - partner)

so yeah, once again, it's just a memory device. no offense to anybody

Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
LOL WHAT THE. And yeah, lol @ "homo" (no offense to any homosexuals). We have a woman as our teacher who's pretty young and yeah, and basically the class clowns just asked her to repeat the word "homo" over and over a couple of times. P:

ANYWAYS, yeah, I think I understand a bit now. Except textural elements are my biggest problem. ;9 Identifying a Primary Melody is easy enough (usually the "right hand" in the music), but determining Secondary Melody, Harmonic Rhythmic Support, Static Support, etc. is ASFDASDFASdfff