RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Glacia Complete Chapter One

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Glacia
By CaptainRegal

Rain Garshon the young and oblivious prince of Glacia. Awakes to find his wife gone from their bed. His most trusted mentor alerting him to the fact that his father the king, has been murdered. A once blessed life now seemingly destroyed in an instant. The one to blame his own wife, Lailah Garshon. Alarmed that Rain has escaped the assassination, Lailah tells the people of Glacia that Rain has died. The Murderer? A Rain impersonator sent to steal the throne and claim it for Glacia's neighbor, Firia. Her plan a success. As Rain was never part of the pubic eye. Many had never seen him. Leaving Lailah to take the throne and wage a war of aggression on Firia. Her reasons shrouded in mystery.

Faced with the hard truth. Rain Garshon and his mentor Captain Gaven Carter travel away in the dead of night. Away from the lavish home and warm glow of his fire. Rain would surely never be the same. The kingdom he never cared about was in deadly peril. Ironically he was Glacia's only hope for a peaceful future.

Rain must now travel the world of Elesca searching for proof of his linage. Trying to save Glacia before the world is rocked by global war. Knowing nothing about his heritage. He has a long journey ahead of him. What he finds is something sinister waiting in his family tree. Before Rain can take back the throne he must first discover if it was his to begin with.

..:: FEATURES ::..
- Massive Game World Split Into Five Chapters
- A Simple Alchemy System
- Random Treasure Chest Contents
- On-map Monsters
- Unique Skill Learning System Similar To LOtR The Third Age.
- A Mini Game In Each Major City.
- Completely Customizable Characters

Characters:
Spoiler for:

Rain Garshon
Origin:Glacia
"The Prince of Glacia. Betrayed by his wife he must travel the
world looking for proof of his linage."

Captain Gaven Carter
Origin:Flurry
"Being assigned as Rain's bodyguard since Rain was born, has
made them very close. Gaven has invaluable experience, and
advises Rain as best he can ."

Lailah Garshon
Origin:??
"She takes control of Glacia through force, murdering the king. She is driven by some unknown reason."

Blaze Trofield
Origin: The Hamlet
"A soldier of Firia and Becca's husban. Blaze is dedicated to
helping Rain regain his throne."

Becca Trofield
Origin:Big Flame City
"A soldier in the Firian military. She reserves fighting for a last resort. She always wants to believe the good in people and sometimes it gets her in trouble."

Spider Wessin
Origin:Flora City
"The most skilled archer in the kingdom of Flora. Loyal to a
fault Spider would rather die than break a promise."

Zuko Zanthar
Origin:Big Flame City
"Second in line to the Firian Throne, Zuko has always had second best. He commands the army of Firia, he wants to be a war hero to gain some social status."

Mosh Cleaver
Origin:Bolderville
"While not the smartest person he is friendly. That is of course unless you insult his imaginary friend. He is the kind to attack and ask questions later."

Breeze Velver
Origin:Gust
"Breeze is a dreamer. A student trying to impress sages at the Great Temple of Air. While quite awkward she always does what she thinks is right."

Screen Shots 1
Spoiler for:

Screen Shots 2
Spoiler for:

Download Chapter One Version 1.2

Credits:
KGC Script Library
Yanfly
Modern Algebra
Wij
GreatRedSpirit
Rachel
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:51:54 AM by captainregal »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
not bad, definitely not the worst project I've seen posted here, but you could have done a bit more with the maps.

not sure about story or anything yet, and I do like how you have custom battle sprites, and the world map looks neat.

also, "bending"?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

It was either bending or magic. I like avatar for one. LoL And magic seemed a little more cliche. Thanks for the post. Let me know if you have any specific details about improving maps. I am always looking to improve.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Why are the doors so big O_o

Why are the doors so big O_o

Because I hate small doors. I have considered making the characters bigger. However I wanted to use Kaduki battle sets. So everything is a balancing act.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Wellll, the large doors look stupid if you use smaller characters. That's just a given right away, so if you don't like small doors, then don't use kaduki, orrrr you could suck it up and use the right sized doors.

Also, what autotiles are you using?? I couldn't ever seem to find the rounded corners for the shallow water before. That, and the grass and dirt with the rounded corners. What's that from? Is that mack as well? (how did i never notice if it is O_O)

Wellll, the large doors look stupid if you use smaller characters. That's just a given right away, so if you don't like small doors, then don't use kaduki, orrrr you could suck it up and use the right sized doors.

Also, what autotiles are you using?? I couldn't ever seem to find the rounded corners for the shallow water before. That, and the grass and dirt with the rounded corners. What's that from? Is that mack as well? (how did i never notice if it is O_O)

The auto tiles are originally made by nightwalker. However I edited them a lot to fit my needs.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I like it. The title screen is gorgeous. I like some of those autotiles as well, particularly the road in the town. I agree that there are some things about the maps that could be better and some things I don't like stylistically (like the way you have the walls in the indoors map) but mostly they aren't serious and the maps are good enough not to ruin the game. The tall doors are pretty silly - the handles are bigger than the characters.

All in all though, I would say the game has a lot of potential and I will download it when I get home.

Thanks so much let me know what you think of the game.

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Here are my impressions so far.

The story is confusing, or whatever you're trying to explain isn't getting out. Why does rain have to go to Elesca to find "proof of his linage" if his wife is being accused of murder? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to search for evidence against the allegations? Or rather search for the reason why his wife did it? From what little if any information given, I don't feel any connections between the characters other than their immediate relationships. You should add more detail to the story/character descriptions. btw seemingly normal names connect with the player more than a crazy rpg name ever will.

The dungeon mapping just needs a little more detail and some re-proportioning. The waterfall and wall are inconsistent in height in proportion to the floor. In other words, don't try too hard to be random.
All your outdoor maps are fine. Also keep using your large doors. The small doors look retarded and is inconsistent if transitioning between indoor/outdoor. Too many people think there's only one way to use the tile set, so you get a bunch of games which look like pokemon.

As for the game features. It's another Kaduki/Takentai game filled with seemingly unnecessary scripts. I like the idea of minigames in each town. It's the little things you add to the game yourself that makes it better, not scripts. Nonetheless, despite fairly good mapping compared to many others, I'm gonna pass for now.

- -

As far as your concerns about the story. That would be things explained in the intro. I don't want to give the plot away on the game page. If you would play the game you would know that all the scripts in the game are used to great effect. None of them are unnecessary. As for the "RPG Names" This is an RPG. That is like saying Aragorn from LOrR should have been called Fred.

I think it is quite harsh to make all those assumptions about the game when you have not even tried it. I am only one person and I have spent the better part of the year making this release. If this is the kind of halfhearted criticism you have to offer I hope you do "pass for now".

For the dungeon I will take a look at the area and try to make improvements.

I can understand why people would lump this game in with so many other bad Vx games. However to simply dismiss the game based on what you see in a game page is a little short sided.

I hope this did not come off too harsh. I really do appreciate all constructive feedback.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, you have to remember that the purpose of a story topic is to convince people to try the game. It's essentially the back of the box when you are browsing games in a store. It has to make you want to play it if you're going to buy it. In other words, the point of a story topic is to give people a good impression of it without playing it, not to be ignored if it does not give a good impression :).

I don't think it could hurt to explain why and how discovering his lineage is related to his wife taking the throne, especially since, as MrMoo points out, it seems counter-intuitive to what any person would do. "Oh, my wife killed my father? I better become a genealogist!"

Now, I am sure there is a perfectly logical reason why this is so, but I don't think it's wrong for MrMoo to ask you to connect the dots a little bit. Also, since the reason he has to find out about his lineage is assumedly revealed near the very start of the game, I can't see the harm in a little explanation. It's your choice of course what to reveal, but I think it's reasonable for MrMoo or anyone to judge a game based on the topic, and is, in fact, necessary.

Well, you have to remember that the purpose of a story topic is to convince people to try the game. It's essentially the back of the box when you are browsing games in a store. It has to make you want to play it if you're going to buy it. In other words, the point of a story topic is to give people a good impression of it without playing it, not to be ignored if it does not give a good impression :).

I don't think it could hurt to explain why and how discovering his lineage is related to his wife taking the throne, especially since, as MrMoo points out, it seems counter-intuitive to what any person would do. "Oh, my wife killed my father? I better become a genealogist!"

Now, I am sure there is a perfectly logical reason why this is so, but I don't think it's wrong for MrMoo to ask you to connect the dots a little bit. Also, since the reason he has to find out about his lineage is assumedly revealed near the very start of the game, I can't see the harm in a little explanation. It's your choice of course what to reveal, but I think it's reasonable for MrMoo or anyone to judge a game based on the topic, and is, in fact, necessary.

"Oh, my wife killed my father? I better become a genealogist!"

That was so funny. I laughed for quite awhile. Still funny. Sorry.

Ok ok you have a point.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I see no reason why you should be surprised when people don't get why you need to prove you lineage when (according to your intro) he seems to be fairly well know as the prince. No offense intended but when the description of an RPGmaker game plot sounds like it makes no sense, it usually doesn't, which is why he asked what was up with it.

Has anyone spent enough time with the game to give any impressions?

I have uploaded an updated download of Glacia. This fixes the atb battle system from a very fast fully active. To a semi active atb battle system. If you start a new game you can fully customize it. Also the final boss as been fixed so that it is beatable.

Some other minor things were added. A final save ROOM before the boss battle. Also some of the guards directions were fixed.

There will eventually be a Version 1.2. It will focus on some better writing, level design and the way treasure is distributed.

Thanks to everyone who downloaded Version 1.0 and just to put everyone's minds at ease your save files will still work.

Spoiler for "Download Version 1.1 ":

First post edited to explain the story a bit more.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:42:49 PM by captainregal »

First the good news:
.::1.2 is here::.
-Fixes the error that occurred when you reset the game with F12.
-Fixes a save error that rendered the game unplayable.
-Completely rewritten ending that is much more original.

The bad news:
-No other updates.
-Old saves will no longer work. (Sorry about this, but it was unavoidable.)

The future:
-The updates I already promised.
-Rebalancing magic to make it more useful.

As always all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Download Chapter One Version 1.2

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I'm kind of excited for this, but the download link isn't working.

EDIT: Ah, it works now. The server was down when I was trying to load it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:51:48 AM by Mikhail Faulken »

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Works for me...

Anyway, this looks pretty medicore. Sounds like your trying to pack too much into one game. The mapping looks pretty good overall and there are a few delicate touches, but it does seem to me that there's too much going on at one time. However, there are a few mapping "errors" I can see right from the screenshots. Not so much errors, just things that don't appeal to my eyes.

Also, the amount of scripts is, well, normal for a RPG Maker Game. Scripts aren't meant to be flooded, or put in just for the sake of being put in. Seriously, do you really need an "Equip Skill" function, an Alchemy system, or even an on screen Mini-map? If you can somehow make those scripts meaningful and make it so that they flow in your actual game and don't just look like you crammed everything you could find in at once, kudos to you.

Finally, my little rant about Tankentai's SBS and Kaduki Battlers. They're too mainstream. Find something different, and maybe even create your own battlers and battle system. Try eventing a battle system if you don't want to use scripts. I'm put off by the fact that most people use Tankentai and Kaduki, but that's probably just me.

Btw: You forgot to credit Wora.

Btw 2: You forgot to credit Tankentai.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:05:19 PM by cozziekuns »

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I personally think that Tankentai is a great tool, but no-one seems to be creative enough to utilise it to its full extent.

Right now, I'm rockin' YEM, though, since it is almost as modular. Customisation is everything when it comes to presentation, and the use of custom resources will attract players.

This looks like it'll be kind of bloated. The download is 145 MB, and as Cozziekuns said, the addition of some features seems unecessary.

I agree that some of the features were over kill such as. The Mini Map, that has since been removed. I made the game I wanted. And the game I wanted has learned and equip-able skills. I know Tenkentai is over used. However I have made a ton of my own animations so that when you use a spear it is drastically different than a sword. The complaint about the alchemy system is also reasonable. If you play the game you will see, that the things you can make are limited to items.

There are no scripts in my game that are not fully utilized.

Also the file size is bloated because i was stupid and copied tons of music/SE into the game. I am slowly working this out. Please keep in mind that the above screen shots are outdated and may not represent the game in its current form.

Thank you for the comments and I look forward to more feedback.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
I stopped playing. I tried to save after I got menu access, and a script error caused the game to crash.

I didn't want to go through all of those cutscenes again, so I didn't bother rebooting.

What error did you Screen it? I tested it and it worked fine for me.  ;)

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
Ah, nevermind, it didn't do it a second time.

Some of the maps are laggy as hell, though.

Rep:
Level 84
The world map goes at 6FPS for me, so yeah, it's pretty laggy.

Ya the world map IS laggy no way around it. No change coming soon. Sorry. The only lag is in the world map. Hopefully this will not detour from playing.

Rep:
Level 81
it's time to poke
How big is the map?

It isn't a significant problem, but it is kind of distracting.

Rep:
Level 84
Also, the punctuation and grammar is a bit poor, which shouldn't really matter to anyone other than grammar nazi's like me. It kinda ticks me off.

EDIT: Galicia: Script 'Rock Paper Sizzors' line 124 NoMethodError occured.
         undefined method `visible=' for nil:NilClass

This was after I had played several times.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:53:33 PM by cozziekuns »

I am not very good with the grammar ect... I tried my very best. I fear without a "Nazi" of my own to help me. It won't get tremendously better. When the error happened, did you win, tie, or lose.

Rep:
Level 84
It was right when I started...

Tried recreating the error, but to no avail. Still, it's there.

Alright thank you. I will certainly look into it.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
It was right when I started...

Tried recreating the error, but to no avail. Still, it's there.

do you remember what happened in all of the previous plays?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
Nope. I was basically just spamming rock and saving, reloading with F12 when I lost.