RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
VX Mapping Question

GRABBIN SOME PEELZ
Rep:
Level 85
Doin some...
Since this is my first post, I sure hope it's in the right spot. ???

Still getting used to VX, started working on my first dungeon today and...

Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:

Which way looks better.

Shit, now that I'm looking that them side by side the first looks better... :-\

Well, what do ya'll think, what's everyone else doing?

<Skanker> Fairy talks about asses in 9 sentences out of 10

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The first, but it's way too square. You'll also want to use some dim lighting in-game.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I don't mind either. I personally prefer using the black background whenever inside. It's like a "fog of war" kind of effect. To put it simply, the player can't see past the first tile of the wall so why map extra beyond that. Also, it's sometimes easier to use atmosphere for caves when it's black considering it makes the maps appear darker naturally. It's really just opinion though.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I don't mind either. I personally prefer using the black background whenever inside. It's like a "fog of war" kind of effect. To put it simply, the player can't see past the first tile of the wall so why map extra beyond that. Also, it's sometimes easier to use atmosphere for caves when it's black considering it makes the maps appear darker naturally. It's really just opinion though.
It looks stupid if you do that in caves.

When you do it for the inside of buildings, it looks fine because the ceiling tiles represent walls, and the black space around it is the outside/open space.

If you do that in a cave, it gives off the illusion that the cave walls are really thin, and there's space behind them.

GRABBIN SOME PEELZ
Rep:
Level 85
Doin some...

Now see, I compleatly agree with you. Every game, esp. ones which had maps inside caves always had black where the *characters* could not see. Even 3D games like FFVII.

But... damnit in VX it just looks weird.

I think it has to do with the RTP tiles looking weird themselves.

>:(

<Skanker> Fairy talks about asses in 9 sentences out of 10

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

When you do it for the inside of buildings, it looks fine because the ceiling tiles represent walls, and the black space around it is the outside/open space.

If you do that in a cave, it gives off the illusion that the cave walls are really thin, and there's space behind them.

Get over yourself Irock, I told you it was my opinion. You don't need to argue about it. I don't care what it looks like to you. He asked for opinions and we both gave them however different.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Don' tknow about all of you, but I think that the black thing only really looks good over the outline of the map and not really on interior walls... Ya know?
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 102

Get over yourself Irock, I told you it was my opinion. You don't need to argue about it. I don't care what it looks like to you. He asked for opinions and we both gave them however different.
I'm arguing logic against your opinion, not my opinion against your opinion.

It makes perfect sense in XP because you're only seeing the walls, not the ceiling. You can't show the ceiling around the edges and just make the rest of it black. That's stupid.

Fuck yeah.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:21:06 AM by Irock »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Don' tknow about all of you, but I think that the black thing only really looks good over the outline of the map and not really on interior walls... Ya know?

I would agree with this.

You're dumb for having to reply to any thing I say in this topic. It's been long over.

I'm arguing logic against your opinion, not my opinion against your opinion.

It makes perfect sense in XP because you're only seeing the walls, not the ceiling. You can't show the ceiling around the edges and just make the rest of it black. That's stupid.

Fuck yeah.