RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
(Resovled) Pause Game, WHAT? WITH EVENTS?

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
The Deal-e-o

Alright, it seems I'm about to sit down and really start Eventing a whole new system. But before we get to that and my problem I want to spread some details around. I really really really really really really (Don't have enough Really’s memorized) wanted an ABS for when I make my game. But instead of using a script (CAUSE I'M WIERD) I Like having control of everything (I don't want a strict ABS) and instead of bothering a bunch of people to change a script to the way I want it or messing to no avail with it. I tried ABS with events. Yeah....that’s somewhat lame due to the fact you can only have a few Bad guys on one map unless you want UBER LAG! SO....the point is I decided to put on my thinking cap and really digg deep to make an Evented battle system somewhat Original. Somewhat. I'm not going to reveal what I've come up with, because it’s still in development and I’m also making a Tutorial for all to see. I'm very excited about this and was doing swimmingly, until now. There is alot of prep work before I even do any Eventing. Prep work that is coming to an end. To break away from that Prep work I went to just get a frame of this Event System. The first thing that has been stumbling for me is this: How to Pause the game with Events.

WHAT I WANT!

What I want is this:  I want the game to ALMOST Pause. Almost Pause means this: All NCPs and Player stop, stop like a deer whose seeing headlights! BUT, I want some options to appear on screen. I have made a Menu of sorts, again I don’t and can’t say too much about this system, but I want the player to be able to use this menu. I can get the Menu working, that is no problem at all. Getting the Menu to work when the game is paused is no problem either; just throw in a switch and BAM! All the controls work for the Menu. But I need the Game to Pause.  I have found a script, that does this, and lets you have your own Picture to appear.  BUT this isn’t what I want, because the player wouldn't be able to use the Menu with this Script. The only Option I thought of was making a Conditional Branch Reading when the Menu Switch was On, it would then go through and with every Event (Via the Move Command) make them turn in on there selves, therefore stopping them. BUT that is a lot of work and could bog my game down just much as an Evented ABS would……………… IS there any way to Pause the Events and still be using the Menu? The Menu is all done with Show Picture Events and works very well with no Lag even when the map is large and Evented up like no other.

THINGS TO KNOW!

- I’m using RMXP
- I’m keeping things under wraps for now, but if you need more information please ask.
- No scripts are being used. I am only using the Default Scripts.
- I’ve searched Google, RMRK.net, HBgames.org, and RPG-Palace.com
- I have a bunch of Variables for X and Y for my player and some NPC’s, Reading Health, Exp, Gold, and for Map ID. That’s about it.
- I’d be totally cool with a Script if it fit the exact conditions I just discussed.
- If this can’t be done any easier than going through and stopping them all like I mentioned earlier, then is there another route I could take?
- The main gist is the player making decisions before engaging in Battle or changing mid battle the choices he already made. This is just about all your getting from me about the system as of now.

THANKS AND SUCH!

Thank you for your time. I hope that someone can help, I’m willing to give credit where it’s due, so keep that in mind. I understand that this might be an Event System all in its self.  God Bless. If I can get past this little bump in the road I'll be fine and I'll have everythign worked out soon. When I can get it up and running I'll make my Tutioral and I hope that this will be something People will really enjoy and wat to use.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:09:23 AM by Kidfox70 »
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Just one question. Why do you want to do it with events when it allready exist with script.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=3613.0

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Quote from: Kidfox70
I have found a script, that does this, and lets you have your own Picture to appear.  BUT this isn’t what I want, because the player wouldn't be able to use the Menu with this Script.

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Oh... :-[ Missed that part... :-[

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Just make an event on Autorun that tints the screen darker and shows a "Pause" picture or something. Put in the event a loop command checking if the player is pressing the 'pause button' to unpause the game and it'll break the loop. I don't know if autorun stops all movement to all other things, or just the player.

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
Alright. It sounds good. I didn't really think about an Auto Run or a Loop. And after messing around with it, I got it to work. But I ended up making a Second Page and having it run on Parallel Processing. I used a Switch to go back and forth between the pages. Also I had to use wait commands to get things a rolling. But It only ended up Pausing the player and nothing else. Its Definitely a step closer to what I wanted. So for that, I'm Happy. But I need all the moving events to stop for this all to work. I put pictures of what I did in the Attachments. Please take a look and tell me if I'm uber lame.  Also if somehow we can work this all out and get it to were all the NCP's stop movement, it would be very awesome.
I don't say bless you when people sneeze, cause i'm not God. Blessing people is his job. Lolo?

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
I really hope someone Bumps into this and helps me out.

Also if somehow we can work this all out and get it to were all the NCP's stop movement, it would be very awesome.

Rep:
Level 83
I really hope someone Bumps into this and helps me out.

Also if somehow we can work this all out and get it to were all the NCP's stop movement, it would be very awesome.

How about creating the auto run event like suggested by grafikal and make the event turn a switch on like "game paused" and that in turn will let an event page on all of the NPCs that contains nothing so they wont have any move routs to be moving?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:59:36 AM by Mr_Wiggles »
Spoiler for:
METALFRESH is a paint contractor that specializes in refinishing metal and vinyl siding. We paint metal buildings as well as siding on homes.

We also

Refinish decks
    Do custom interior painting
    Strip wallpaper
    Refinish cedar siding
    Metal front doors and sidelights
    Metal garage and service doors
    Grained fiberglass doors

If your structure is *RUSTED *FADED *CHALKING *IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE, we can fix it with a guarentee!

northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

http://metalfreshcoatings.com

Rep:
Level 83
Kidfox70. It happens.
My good sir, You've done it! It works wonderful! All I had to do was make was add a page to each event, like you said. This works exactly how I wanted it. So for that I tip my hat to you Mr. Wiggles. *tips hat* But I can't forget Grafikal either. I tip me hat for you  as well. *tips hat* Thank you all.