RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Terra's VX Mapping Tutorial #1 Farm House Exterior

Rep:
Level 82

Hello everybody, today I will be sharing with you all my mapping knowledge when it comes to RPG Maker VX, I'm going to Describe in an easy to understand manner, everything you need to know to make a nice looking map, while showing you images of how exactly it should turn out. So without any further ado... Lets get this show on the road.

Farm House Exterior:
Okay the first thing your going to want to do is go to the A column under your Sidebar. This could be considered the first layer. Next you're going to want to lay down some grass, do so with your second Grass Auto-tile, the first grass Auto-tile is for the world Map, so we don't want to use that one. From there you can add some tall grass around the Map, being the next Auto-tile in the row which is a good deferential for the short grass, and just makes everything look better. Once you got that covered you're going to want to make the House itself, one of the wood House Auto-tiles is probably best for a Farm House. I generally prefer to make the walls of the house two tiles high, and the roof of the House three tiles high, but that's just my taste though. Now on to the main part of what this Tutorial in-tales. The Farm Land, You can find these tiles at the bottom of the A column. they would be the ones that look like dirt hills, take these and make a nice square shape somewhere close to the House. Lastly you can add some fences among your farm for a nice touch. So here's where we're at so far...

Tiles Used:

Moving on... Now your going to want to switch over into the B Column of the Sidebar. Next I like to start making the wild-life aspect of the map, using Trees and Bushes placing them around the map or in certain places, say your farm happens to be near a Forest.
Once this is done you could have a nice result, like so.

Tiles Used:

Alright, just Trees and Bushes looks boring... No doubt. So lets add some thing like some Flowers and Crabgrass and other such small various things you put on the ground. Remember, you should place this stuff pretty randomly, because Nature itself is pretty random. Now would also be a good time to add those little crops that grow on the farm land, I like to use lot of different kinds. Things are starting to look a lot nicer now.

Tiles Used:

Now's a good time to fill-out your house area. First I like to put in the windows and the door hole for where the door's going to go. Use the hole with the curved top if you're going to have a Door with a curved top there, or the square hole with the square Door.
If the person is going to have a fireplace in there house then you can also add a chimney on the roof of the house. Lastly you can add some Barrels or Woodpiles or even a Well around the House, Piles of Hay work nicely also. Oh and don't forget to put a few event's in there to bring everything to life, and that's pretty much it!

Tiles Used:

Well that concludes my VX Mapping Tutorial #1! Thanks for reading, and I hoped you've learned some stuff along the way. Stay tuned for My VX Mapping Tutorial #2!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:13:24 AM by Terra »
You get busy Livin', or get busy Diein'... That's god damn right.
- Ellis Redding, (Morgan Freeman) Shawshank Redemption
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act, what they oughta' say is... Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) Lord of War

Rep:
Level 83
Great job that looks really good!. the firs time i touched VX i never returned
its mapping system confuses me Beyond thinking normally, thats why i stick to XP
Spoiler for:
METALFRESH is a paint contractor that specializes in refinishing metal and vinyl siding. We paint metal buildings as well as siding on homes.

We also

Refinish decks
    Do custom interior painting
    Strip wallpaper
    Refinish cedar siding
    Metal front doors and sidelights
    Metal garage and service doors
    Grained fiberglass doors

If your structure is *RUSTED *FADED *CHALKING *IN NEED OF COLOR CHANGE, we can fix it with a guarentee!

northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

http://metalfreshcoatings.com

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Ooo, very nice Terra :)
I feel like you could really do a lot with this if you didn't use just RTP, but since this is for basic mapping, I say great job! :)

Rep:
Level 82
Thanks guys, This tutorial is actually from a Map I'll be using in my new game I'm making. And as for my next Tutorial Grafikal, lets just say I wont be using only the RTP.
You get busy Livin', or get busy Diein'... That's god damn right.
- Ellis Redding, (Morgan Freeman) Shawshank Redemption
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act, what they oughta' say is... Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) Lord of War

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It looks really nice Terra - I feel that this tut will hep a lot of people. Great job.