RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Questions, sometimes even asked frequently!

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Okay, title is a bit of a misnomer since many of these questions don't even get asked. I'm hoping it's because people are smart enough to know the answers or topics like these preemptively answer their questions.

Spoiler for What are the guilds?:
The guilds are teams of RPG Maker users competing to make a better game in a specified amount of time. More information can be found at the RMRK Wiki here: CLICK

Spoiler for So when does this thing start?:
January 2nd, 2010

Spoiler for How long does it last?:
No timeframe has been set yet, though it will likely last 2 to 3 months.

Spoiler for Can I join?:
Yes! This a community event and all RMRK members that use RPG Maker are encouraged to participate. Sign-ups can be found in this topic: CLICK

Sign-ups will close Monday, December 14th.

Spoiler for I want to be in _____ guild. Can I sign up for that?:
Not exactly. Guild leaders will choose members later, after free sign-ups are closed. They well take into consideration any member that wanted to be in a specific leaders' guild, but there is no guarantee that that is where you will end up.

Spoiler for So who are the guild leaders?:
This year there will be 2 co-leaders for each guild:
Guild A: NAMKCOR and Irock
Guild B: joy and grafikal

Spoiler for What if I don't have much free time because I'm cool and have a life because I go outside and work and stuff?:
Generally this is fine. If you can only donate an hour of work on your guild's project each week, that's okay as long as you do the work you say you'll do. Example:

Guild Leader: I need a charset in 4 days, can you do it by then?
You: Sure, no problem.
*6 days later*
Guild Leader: Where's that charset?
You: I didn't have time, I'll do it later.
Guild Leader: :mad:

It's fine if you don't have the time, just let the leader(s) know so they can plan accordingly.

Spoiler for How do the guild members communicate with each other? Email would be boring and time consuming...:
Each guild will be given their own private forum here at RMRK to communicate with each other. This will greatly help the guild leader(s) with organization as well. Again, this forum will be private so only guild members and administrators will have access to it. Any other methods of communication are up to the guild members themselves, though creating a private channel in IRC is a good suggestion.

Spoiler for I have an idea on how to improve the guilds, where do I let you know?:
Just post in an appropriate topic in the root of this forum or create your own topic if your idea doesn't fit into an existing one. We are open to any suggestions on improvement as we're restructuring a lot of the process this year.

Spoiler for What are the rules?:
The specifics are currently being discussed, but most of the information you need can be found in this topic: CLICK

Summary:
*Guilds will be required to make a press release at certain (later to be specified) intervals.
*Guilds failing to meet this requirement will incur a penalty of some sort (later to be specified).
*It is up to the guilds, and especially the leader(s), to determine the best way to reach that goal.
*Zeriab is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:23:03 AM by HaloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
http://www.rukinet.com
I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or perhaps start a new topic, but I figured this is a "question," so:

What happened to my Guild position? I don't really what it did if anything but I noticed earlier in my profile that I had a new position called "Guild" and now it's back to Novice RPG Maker. Just curious... ???

Rukinet. - the dot's included!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Those things in your profile don't have any correlation to these Guild competitions. The Novice RPG Maker title is just something that's in your profile that kind of just classifies you by how many posts you have and for how long you've been around. But I think it might just be done by how much you post...

Rep:
Level 88
Those things in your profile don't have any correlation to these Guild competitions. The Novice RPG Maker title is just something that's in your profile that kind of just classifies you by how many posts you have and for how long you've been around. But I think it might just be done by how much you post...

I get all that, but then how come I had the position "Guild" earlier?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Halo is in the process of getting things ready.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

I get all that, but then how come I had the position "Guild" earlier?

Idk, that's weird, maybe it was a quick error. Or maybe Halo tried putting people he thought signed up for the guilds up with that tag.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or perhaps start a new topic, but I figured this is a "question," so:

What happened to my Guild position? I don't really what it did if anything but I noticed earlier in my profile that I had a new position called "Guild" and now it's back to Novice RPG Maker. Just curious... ???

That was a temporary membergroup for testing things. You're still in, it's just not going to display it as such (yet). There was like a 3 minute window where you would have seen it, didn't think anyone would lol

Rep:
Level 88

That was a temporary membergroup for testing things. You're still in, it's just not going to display it as such (yet). There was like a 3 minute window where you would have seen it, didn't think anyone would lol

Well, gee, sorry! XD

It's not like I was upset over losing it or anything, I just didn't quite grasp what was going on. Thought that for some reason I had been kicked out of the whole guild thing right after I joined! lol

Rep:
Level 84
Will you join me in the dark side...?
after 13/12/09, the people who posted in guild apply, will automaticly join a guild?...
My Puzzle/StandAlone game in a week:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Well, the guilds might talk about which guild that person would go to. I would imagine that after the picking is over, the late comer would go to the guild that would have had the next pick if there were more members that signed up.

Rep:
Level 97
They don't automatically get in. We'll need approval from (all?) guild leaders first. And usually I wait to ask when there are enough people to even out both teams.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
HEY! YOU! HALO OF THE SUN!

I'm curious: Writers can discuss concept ideas, are artists not allowed to even put pencil to paper to sketch out some possible character designs?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
well artists cant do that anyways without direction - hence the writers talking. Why waste an artists time making things up when it's not or might not ever get chosen. If you think you have an idea for something at is currently being discussed, discuss that particular situation with Halo to see if it doesn't cross the line :)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Can the artists work on guild banners?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
oh, well sure thing, just not stuff that relates directly to the game like game art. Like character concepts, facesets, resources, etc. lol. I was planning on starting some guild banners this weekend when the semester is over anyways.

Rep:
Level 97
HEY! YOU! HALO OF THE SUN!

I'm curious: Writers can discuss concept ideas, are artists not allowed to even put pencil to paper to sketch out some possible character designs?

Good question. Concept art is kind of iffy. I'd say let the guild leaders decide that one (all of them, not just yours).

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
i think concept art should be acceptable, but it would have to come after an idea first obviously. I don't want to hear about someone presenting the concept art and then an idea wrap around it. For instance, if we have an idea, it'd be nice to present something in a graphic style that might compliment it. It should only be used to further the creation of a story. Also, it shouldn't be assumed that if there is concept art for a story, that that story is going to be the one you end up using. Concept is what it is. A concept.