RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMRK Guilds, 2010?

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Most everyone here knows all too well about the guilds. We tried this last year but failed pretty badly, probably due to lack of motivation and drive to finish. However, the guilds did do a good job in joining the community together in a competition that gave us a lot to laugh/fight/bitch/cause drama/boast about. We made closer friends with some people through the guilds, whether teammates or rivals. Can't lie that it was fun, despite the fact that we all failed.

I wanted to see what people thought about trying once more at a guild competition between two large groups of RMRK again. With the recent turnout of the latest GIAW V and number of people able to successfully finish, we might be able to be more successful this time around. And even if we aren't successful, there'd be plenty of laughs along the way at least.

What do you guys think?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
It might be a good idea just for, as you said, sort of bringing the community together a bit even if they don't actually finish the project.

I'd be fine making the boards and getting everything set up again but someone else needs to set up the rules. I guess I could even create sign ups and we could let those go until about January since the RPG Maker crowd here doesn't seem to visit the forums every single day. Assuming of course, other people here think this is a good idea. :)
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
it was fun as hell last time, even though nothing got done.
We should wait until around summer though, when people don't have school and can actually work on things.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Or we can have it be something longer than a few months, perhaps have it actually end at the end of summer or something?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Having it a summer-long contest and an extended contest ending in July/August or so both have their merits.

Perhaps it'd be better to try the extended contest this year. You could start in January/February, and even though everyone has school and such they could still work when they could which would work well for planning the smaller details. When summer comes around you could get the big stuff done.

Then again that has the effect of getting tired of it by the time summer comes around, but everyone should be fine with that if they're using RPG Maker anyway.

I don't know I'm just rambling xD

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm not sure, the only reason GIAW is successful is because it's quick, it's a week, people don't lose interest fast enough and the work actually gets done.  

Not sure how I feel about an extremely prolonged competition.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
GIAW is also just one person

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
You guys probably know my view. People try to bite off more than they can chew, drama begins, shit like that.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Thinking about it, if one person can make a whole game in a week with or without school, I don't think it'll be hard for a team to do so with or without school either given a short period of time. They'd need time to plan out, obviously, and then time to get their act together and build it. Need a period that's long enough for people to get shit done (since it'll take longer for a group of people to agree first and decide what's going on), but not too long so as to lose interest in.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
A short time frame is the only viable option, procrastinators and drama whores (Atemu) were what really ruined my guilds game.

Anything under 5 weeks might be worth a shot.

Rep:
Level 97
True. People were saying they didn't think there wasn't enough time before. Maybe there was too much.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I don't really care how long as it is. Though I'd prefer it be at or over a month and a half, since a lot of people are busy with school this time of year. It doesn't really matter if the games get completed, because it will still be fun.

On a side note, NAMKCOR and I were discussing both co-leading a guild together~

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
So, maybe start building teams soon and then start the actual game making process on Jan. 1st, lasting up until either the end of February or end of March, so that there's enough time for people to agree on an idea and then carry it out.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I still personally think we should hold off until people are less oriented on school, but I'll join whenever it starts.

Might I suggest not limiting it to 2 guilds?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'm up for it. My last semester is going to be really empty. I took the maximum number of credits this semester and it ends in 2 weeks. So I'm good to go into any guild for a while.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I really like the long-term project idea.
I would suggest urging iterative development with bi-weekly or monthly goals. That way people always have a short goal in focus.
There are problems with iterative development for RPGs, but people will learn about them so I don't think that's bad either.

The biggest problem with that would be to define each goal and how they count.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Zeriab did you change your sig?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Yup, garygill made me a new one :3

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I like :)

Also, I think I like Zeriab's idea, if it is what I think it is. I think that people are right in saying that it won't work if the term is too long. However, if the time is too short I don't think we can expect any coherent results - The reason GIAW works is because there is only one developer. With a large team, it will necessarily take a long time to build a consensus on the project to work on. Or else all of the functions are split off where 1 or 2 members each work on a single aspect, and then there is no real coherency to the project.

If we set short-term goals with penalties if it is not completed, then people will be encouraged to focus on the task at hand, and each aspect of the game will have been collaborated on, so it's not disjointed.

So, a potential chart with bs values would be:

Character Development - 1 week - 5%
Plot - 2 weeks - 25%
Initial Database setup - 1 week - 5%
Mapping - 3 weeks - 25%
Eventing + Dialogue - 3 weeks - 30%
Balancing - 1 week - 10%

with feature development and resource finding throughout where appropriate, and of course the freedom to change any element that does not work as the other stuff begins to progress.

and then all of that could factor in as say, 60% of the final grade, with 40% going to the quality of the project itself and that could be judged on other factors, such as gameplay, cohesiveness, etc...But, if we set short-term competetive goals, then I think it might work better.

That chart may not be an appropriate time + value analysis, or even a good way to go about it. Also, I should mention that the categories do not mean people can't work on anything else - if you have a dedicated mapper, he might only want to work on maps through the entire project. But, knowing that something specific has to be done by x deadline I think will force most of the team's resources onto that goal where it is appropriate, and that will likely result in a better project and one more likely to be finished.

I also agree with Zylos that there should be more than two guilds and we should limit team numbers to 8-12.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:44:09 PM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'm a dedicated mapper :)

I like what I'm seeing here. To be honest, I can't wait until we decide to start this. It's been a while since I worked on anything good.

Rep:
Level 97
I suppose we could start sign-ups soon, regardless of when the actual game-making process begins. We can't know how many guilds to have until we know how many people there will be. If only 10 people sign up, it'd be silly to have more than 2 guilds.

Of course, I expect a lot of people to sign up, like last time. The problem is, many of the people who signed up were not active. I still have the membergroups from the last guilds set up and there were 29 people total and that's after removing people from the guilds because they left for whatever reason (Atemu). But how many of you actually had everyone show up for their job? I remember several times someone was waiting on someone else to do something or someone was picking up someone else's slack.

The point is, multiple guilds are fine, but let's take into consideration that too few people is a waste. At the same time not everyone who signs up will be dependable.

As for when this all actually takes place and exactly how long, perhaps some public polls would be a good idea. If this is a community event, then after all the community should have a say.

I'll create a topic for sign-ups later today or tomorrow, if nobody has objections. While I'll probably be less involved in the overseeing of the guilds than last time, it's easiest for me to handle sign-ups and such since I have to put everyone in the proper groups.

NOTE: Again, this does not mean we are starting soon - although most of you seem willing to start anytime.

EDIT: This also raises the question of who is actually judging the finished product (if it even makes it that far)? I believe last time we agreed on just letting members vote in a poll rather than having actual judges, but whatever you guys feel is best is fine by me. :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:05:13 PM by HaloOfTheSun »

Rep:
Level 87
I know I'd enjoy participating in this again. Though, I feel like I held back my team last year but now I feel much more confident in myself about my ability and I believe I would be able to be able not to be a set back this time.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I agree, Halo, we probably shouldn't keep all of this behind the closed doors of RMRK Advanced. For the timing of it, we should see what everyone has to say, not just us. And for the multiple guilds, first we have to see how many people we actually have.

The biggest time consumer is to get everyone to agree on something, because if I recalled right there was a lot of tension just between deciding on the style of spriting. But I agree that short-term goals might be better, so as to force people to focus and agree on things quicker. Instead of having set deadlines and penalties though, perhaps we can have competitive judgings of whatever teasers and info the guilds release on set dates? Like, one week having the guilds present a basic outline of a non-spoiler story and any concept art they have like we did for a teasers last year, and the next week we show off maps or possibly a playable demo. The guilds agree to release certain pieces of info, and each week we have the community vote for which one they like better thus far. Keeps up the competitive edge and the urge to do better than the other group if you fall behind a little.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The guild members don't necessarily have to agree on everything. They can pitch ideas and the guild leader(s) can make the decisions and organize how and when things will be done. I think one of the reasons why I only got like 5 or so maps done was because I wasn't able to picture everything perfectly, and didn't have much of an idea as to what I was expected to do. Guild leaders should play a much bigger role this time around, so we get more work done in an organized fashion.

Rep:
Level 97
The guild leader(s) should probably be thought of more as a director. The final decision should be theirs but there should be some discussion of course about what to do. After all, do you think on real video games everyone making it is in 100% complete agreement about everything? No.

Even better would be if the mapping style, for example, were decided solely by the mappers and the guild leader. Let the scripters, spriters, etc. focus on their own work rather than how the mapping is coming along. (If I remember correctly, this wasn't a huge issue last year but it still happened and proved to be just a time waster).

In short, yeah pretty much what Irock said. Ultimately none of this is up to me though, just offering my opinion :)