RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] Airship with Looping Map

Rep:
Level 87
Embrace the stillness of eternity.
Airship and Looping Map
Version 1.1
Author: Mjustin

Version History

• 1.0: System should be functional.
  • 1.1: Looping map fixed by Kipe, a couple minor fixes.

Description

This system allows you to put an airship in your world map, as well as make the map loop. It includes nice liftoff and movement animations with custom graphics made by me (so don't be disappointed when they're not very good).

Features

• Fully working airship.
  • Looping map system included as part of the system.
  • Able to configure where airship can land and whether or not it can pass certain things (mountains, etc.).

Screenshots

These are from my test file, not included in the demo.

Spoiler for:
About to board the airship:
Spoiler for:
Flying above the ocean:

Spoiler for:
Airships don't like water:
Spoiler for:
What happens when you forget the looping map system:

Demo

Attached. Download the readme file as well for instructions on how to implement the system.

Hope you enjoy it.

Rep:
Level 87
Ah, found it. Go to the variable in the second page of the autorun event on Map 1, and you should see "Control Variables: (0001: Airship Map) == 1." Set the constant to 2. It was configured wrong in the demo, but the instructions have it right.

As for the guy disappearing, that happens because you go to a separate map for the airship, allowing you to set impassable areas like mountains without making the game process even more at once. Generally the npc that gives you the airship won't be on the world map, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

There is another bug, though. Sometimes the map won't actually loop. I'm not exactly sure, but I think it has something to do with how much it has to go through in the space of 1 frame, so I guess the game just doesn't process the command in time.

Thanks! I didn't think of it at first either. I tried to use a character set (I even made up separate ones of the departure/landing and movement), but it just didn't work out and caused a bunch of issues with passability and placing. Plus, the picture allows me to make a more fluid animation than a character set.

Rep:
Level 87
It's working fine for me. Are you sure you changed the constant to 2 and not the variable number?

EDIT: That was a problem I had accounted for. I have it set up like this:

Moving over tile A transports you to tile B, putting you inside the boundary. Moving immediately right from tile B will put you on the boundary, which should loop the map. Unfortunately it seems the system can't handle it very well in conjunction with everything else; sometimes it even malfunctions when I've been going one direction for a while.

Good fix, though. That should solve all the problems with the looping map. Now the only problem is that the graphics will stutter a bit if the player makes it out of the intended boundary, but someone out in the middle of the ocean won't notice anyway. Thanks, Kipe.

Rep:
Level 87
That's good, but I'm kind of opposed to a move route command in this situation because it takes full control away from the player, if only momentarily. I suppose the move route would be best for a map where the borders aren't all out in the open sea, since graphics performance is key to making it look seamless. Other than that, though, I don't think a bit of graphics stutter would be a problem since all the tiles on the screen are the same anyway.