RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Is Your Avatar Not Appearing After Uploading It?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
If you've gone through the process of uploading your avatar/picture in your Forum Profile Information, and it's not showing up, this is normal.

To fix the problem, hit ctrl + F5 on your keyboard. This will refresh your cache.

When you load a page, your browser will save files on that page to your hard disk. Included in these files are images. Instead of loading the files from the website again, it will load it from your hard disk. The reason you can't see your avatar change after uploading it is because your browser is loading your previously cached avatar, instead of your new one. By refreshing your cache, you'll be getting updated images.

If for whatever reason ctrl + F5 doesn't work, Google how to delete cache for your browser.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:54:31 AM by Irock »

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I alternate between filetypes fr my avatars, so right now I'm using a PNG avatar, my next one will be JPG etc =o

Also, any decent browser should follow the Cache-Control HTTP header which is sent from avatars.rmrk.net, which has a max-age value of 258400, meaning every 3 days your browser should update its cached version =o
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:18:49 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
can i ask why? :O

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Why what =o

By default SMF serves avatars dynamically through the main index.php (it runs like the attachment system, gets the request for the avatar, goes through the database to find it, serves it to you). Instead I made RMRK serve avatars as images, just like they actually are, for lower resource usage.

Browsers would normally cache them for alot longer, so that extra http header form avatars.rmrk.net makes sure they update at least every 3 days. Even still, avatars.rmrk.net uses about 10-15GB of bandwidth per month, pretty impressive for just 105x150 images =o
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:42:00 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Why do you swap PNGs and JPGs every other avatar?

EDIT
Good topic. I remember the first time my browser did this to me, annyong.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
So people don't have to refresh their cache to see his avatar change, duh.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
So people don't have to refresh their cache to see his avatar change, duh.

d'oh. I see.