RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Recruit interest check for my 'different' RPG

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
I would like to know if there is anyone interested in the RPG script I've been writing for the past few months. The two main people I would need are a programmer (preferably using RPG Maker 2003, but it doesn't really matter) and a tile artist would be extremely useful. A musician may be needed further down the line. Here is a summary of my RPG game/concept:

The tentative project name is "Wasteland". The story and setting in Wasteland are significantly different than the typical RPG; it has a modern setting with an extremely film-inspired story that involves around troubled youth culture and development. Wasteland takes place in 1996 in the fictional American city "Atlas Heights" (loosely based off Detroit) and is centered around a small punk gang known as the "Wasted Souls". You take control as the gang member "Casey Chains" who, with his long time friend and gang partner "Trick Wild", moved to Atlas Heights five years ago to get away from the social pressuring suburbs and live their punk-based life to the fullest in the city. The two other Wasted Souls members are "Sixty-Nine", the witty, brainy robbery operation planner, and "Rigg", the big, but easy-going member who works as the gang's lookout bodyguard.

The game begins after Casey and Trick make a humorously unsuccessful robbery. Trick reminds Casey about the big mission Sixty-Nine has planned for tomorrow before he goes off somewhere for the night. The next day before the mission briefing at Sixty-Nine and Rigg's apartment, Casey goes out to get some necessary supplies. After passing by a favorite record shop of his, he decides to get some new tunes while he's at it. Inside the shop is a new, attractive, black female employee, "Iris Hayes", whom Casey immediately develops a crush for. When it comes time for the mission, a robbery involving a lucrative drug lord's mansion, Casey's mind is set on Iris and careless of looting, while Trick's unknown departure the other night has led him to a frustrated, unsettled state of mind for the mission. As mentally unprepared they may be, another unanticipated problem comes into play later on...

As the story goes on, there will be more robberies, clashes with other gangs, a developing romance between Casey and Iris, a deeper backdrop into the cast's lives, problems, and ambitions, and inevitable confrontations with the antagonist; an intellectual gang leader who once was a childhood friend of Casey and Trick's.

My biggest reason for conceiving this RPG was to be able to incorporate a social movie-like script into a video game. And while this sounds like something set up for disaster, I have thought a lot about how I could still get something like this to actually work and play as a game at the same time. I have some clever ideas on how dungeons and traversing through Atlas Heights will work so that it will still retain elements of an RPG, but without feeling tacked on. True it won't be much as much of a quest as most RPGs are and will require some backtracking, but I do have some ideas to give the game a "questy" feel and have "mini-quests" within Atlas Heights itself.

The reason why I'm so interested in trying to incorporate such a movie type story into a game to begin with is because I believe it can add an extra depth for the player to relate to, just as one would while watching a movie. But be sure that there will be over-the-top video game-esque touches so the player won't be bored "playing a movie".

I have written about a third of the script for the story and I'm interested in having someone program a basic version of this so I can see if my idea plays like I want it to. I only want to work with people who are actually interested in what this project is about, not just so they can be of assistance.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:20:18 PM by Keranu »