RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX/VXA] Tilesets - RTP Addons 4.0

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Tilesets - RTP Addons 4.0
By: grafikal
Version History:
1.0: 08 - 18 - 2009
1.1: 08 - 19 - 2009
2.0: 08 - 20 - 2009
2.1: 08 - 21 - 2009
3.0: 08 - 28 - 2009
3.1: 08 - 29 - 2009
4.0: 05 - 09 - 2010

:ccbynd:

TileE 1

Be sure to read the rest of the post for instructions on parts of the tileset as well as for examples. :)

TileE 2

Here's some world map items that I've just started working on. Instructions on TileE 2 is just below. More to come.

Spoiler for Instructions for TileE 2:
Ok, so the first things in the set are cave entrances for each type of RTP mountain range. Feel free to use them however you like, but I'll explain what each quadrant is for.

The top 4 corner tiles are for the standard mountains on the average world map grass. The 4 tiles to the right of those are for the dirt mountains. The 4 pieces below the grass ones are for the snowy mountains. (You'll notice some white bits in there, that's to blend better with the snow.) The last 4 are for the desert mountains. Some are probably in the same spots, but most are all moved slightly from the other similar tiles to match the corresponding mountains the best.

The next tile in from those is more complex tent tile. I just gave it some trees and a small dirt path.

To the right of that is a two tile tall miniature lake. I can make those pretty easy, so I was thinking about making a larger 4 tile large, square, lake and what-not. We'll see though.

Below that is an empty castle. I kind of just used that for reference for other things in here, but it might be useful to display a castle being built or something and this is the castle in mid stages or something. Whatever.

To the right of that is the empty castle with a tower in the middle. It's bit more epic than just a standard 2 tile tall tower.

To the right of that is a combination of 3 towers.

To the right of that are those 3 towers used in combination with my Build-a-Castle tiles plus detail and some lakes. It's for an epic looking area or kingdom. I don't feel like those 4 tiles large RTP castles are large enough to be considered a kingdom, so I'm going to be making some of these large things to suit it better.

Lastly, in the lowest to the left is my "Build-a-Castle" tiles. Use those tiles however you want. You can create all different kinds and shapes of larger kingdoms with this and in conjunction with the world map town tiles as well. It looks nice.

added a larger lake

World Map Grass/Plains

Read further down on the World Map Grass explanation.
Spoiler for:

Transparent Cliff Tops

Basic layout. Look at the examples to see how this was used.
Spoiler for:

Extra Cliff Addons

Read further down on these addon's explanations.
Spoiler for Image:

Cliff Pieces NO Shadows

As requested by Raukue - For use by Modern Algebra's Kill Autoshadows Script
Spoiler for:

Custom Shadow (Character Sheet)

Read further below for instructions on this Shadow set.
Spoiler for:

What's In It?

• Full - RTP Rounded Cliffs
  • World Map Tower
  • World Map Cloud
  • Skeletons/Remains
  • Wall Growing Flora
  • Wide Cave Lights
  • Additional "Arch" tiles
  • Wall Supporting Pillars
  • Wall Supporting Pillars (Broken)
  • Rocks
  • World Map Land Cliffs
  • World Map Shore Cliffs
  • World Map Long Horizontal Bridge
  • Extra Tree Overlaps
  • World Map Town Areas
  • Extra Cliff Addons
  • Mini Lake
  • Complex tent
  • Build-A-Castle pieces
  • Empty Castle walls
  • 3 towers
  • Pre-made Large Castle Area
  • Mountain Cave Entrances
  • Large Lake

Instructions

Passability:

How to use the rounded cliff tiles:

Take a look at this screenshot, then I will explain what is happening.
Spoiler for Reference Image:
Spoiler for Explanation:
  • A: This is NORMALLY what your VX cliffs would look like without my addons.
  • B: Start by [SHIFT]+Clicking across the top of the cliff (Shown highlighted in RED.) with the cliff autotile. Also remove 1 tile from the bottom corner or single wide cliff auto tile (Shown highlighted in YELLOW).
  • C: Now paint on the top corner pieces of the cliff, the top edge of the cliff, the lower corners of the cliff and the single wide rounded bottom cliff. Also, re-paint what is shown highlighted in BLUE. This will recover the edges of the cliff from when you [SHIFT}+Clicked there.
  • D: Now you'll notice that the shadows look funny. To fix this, go to TileB and select the 'Right Sided Half Shadow" tile (shown in the screenshot just below and highlighted in RED) and paint it shown where it is highlighted GREEN in the reference picture.
  • E: Your cliff will look like this.
  • F: Knowing this, learn different ways to use the tiles and paint crazy cliffs and mountains.

How to map with Rounded Cliff Tiles:

Spoiler for Introduction:
Alright, so I've taught you the easy stuff on how to create a basic cliff with the rounded cliff tiles. HOWEVER, how do you use it in a map for an actual game? Can you really map around it, or must you leave it untouched so that the E tiles don't get erased? Well, yeah, you could do that if you wanted to. If you're really into making your games look sexy, like a robot, then follow this tutorial.

OMG! How did you do this?!
-This is what you'll be creating essentially. I'll show you how you'll be able to have trees and other things overlap the cliff.

This is what the image above REALLY looks like in the maker.

As easy as this looks to most average level VX users, most people don't think of this, creating an extra layer using events.

Contrary to the number of spoilers I use for this tutorial, there is hardly anything to what is happening.
Spoiler for Tutorial - Part I:

Looking at the above image. You'll notice I highlighted several areas in BLUE and in RED.
Spoiler for Tutorial - Part II:
Every BLUE highlighted event (and every event shown for that matter) shown from Spoiler "Part I", is nothing more than a simple graphic event and set to either "Same as Character" or "Above Character". The BLUE events are events shown where I overlapped the cliff directly that wasn't apart of the autotile. The RED events are shown where I overlapped the shadow tiles that I painted to give the cliff better visual effects.
Spoiler for Tutorial - Part III:
Here I will show you what the events look like.

In image |A|, the event is a graphic tile that would normally have a visibility above the character. Things that have this are like tree tops, behind poles, shadows, my top edge of the cliff tile, or anything else that would make sense being above the character. You can double check if the tiles are supposed to be above the character by looking at the passability of the tilesets and anything marked by a STAR is made to be above the character.

In image |B|, the event is a graphic tile that is normally one the same plane as the character. It isn't below the character or else normal tiles would show above this event and also the player would be able to walk on it. Neither of these we want to have happen. Things set as Same As Character are used as walls or places the character cannot move onto while still showing above the other tiles on the map. This is what you want there.

World Map Grass/Plains:
Spoiler for Instructions:
This a pretty simple addon once you get used to how it's set up.

Outlines:
Black: The basic corners.
Yellow: The standard fill piece.
Red: The 'Inside' corners.
Blue: The complex corners.
Everything Else: Is either a basic side (left, right, top, or bottom) or complex side.

You'll notice that the sides are in rows. Each row is one side. So, it's either a left, a right, a top, or a bottom side piece.
Listed from Top to Bottom, the 'complex' corners are:
Top Left
Top Right
Bottom Left
Bottom Right

Extra Cliff Addons:

These are simple addons. You can easily open this in some image editing program and rip each section that you would like to include in your own TileE. For obvious reason, I didn't include this in the TileE. It takes up way too much space. To use this, instead of having to remove 1 tile from the bottom of the cliff, you can instead keep that tile there and paint over it with these addons using the corresponding floor tiles. This is so that the autotile will extend all the way down and will more naturally place its own shadow which you can easily overlap with other tiles. This is an alternative to mapping with graphic events.

Each cliff bottom comes with its corresponding floor tile as well as logical combinations of the autotile floor tile.

Custom Shadow (Character Sheet):
This is a basic addon. It's mostly used with just graphic events to overlay places that would overwrite the layer it's placed on. Here are the screenshots as to how it was used:

Examples

Mega Example
Spoiler for Big:
Note that there's not trickery here. I didn't do anything super special. I only used my creativity and this tileset to create this map. Again, a protip: Events can help you add a new layer on top or below things.

World Map Tower & World Map Cloud:

Skeletons/Remains:

Transparent Cliff Tops:

World Map Shore Cliffs:

World Map Land Cliffs:

World Map Long Horizontal Bridge:

World Map Grass/Plains:

Extra Tree Overlap:

Wall Growing Flora:

Wide Cave Lights:

Additional 'Arch' Tiles:

Spoiler for Side Note:
The 4th piece of the Arch included in the set is a duplicate of the vertical piece on TileD. This is so that you can have two different passabilities giving the player the illusion that at some points there are Arch supports which are impassable and at some points there are points in which you can walk through the Arch.

Wall Supporting Pillars & Wall Supporting Pillars (Broken):

Rocks:

Other Notable Tileset Additions

This section here is where I'll be updating great suggestions and works from other users. The stuff in this section will be credited to the users who created it and not me. Also, make sure to check out where these additions were originally posted. They'll have instructions and examples.

Irock's Work:

Crates in a Row Addition:
Originally found HERE
Spoiler for Tileset:

Wide Docks/Bridges Addition:
Originally found HERE
Spoiler for Tileset:

Tyaela's Work:
Addons to Grafikal's world tileset:
Originally found: HERE
Spoiler for Tileset:
Note: Compare this tileset with Grafikal's tileset to determine what is originally Grafikal's and what is an addition credited to Tyaela.

Additional Notes

I do plan on occasionally updating this tileset with other useful edits and additions. If there's some sort of crazy problem with this (which I have tested and there certainly shouldn't be) post here and I'll get to you ASAP. Also, remember to credit grafikal. Me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:00:03 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
These are very useful. Great work. :] I'll have to use these if I get around to making a VX game.

I wouldn't mind collaborating with you. You could add my useful but mostly unnoticed crates in a row and wide docks and bridges, since this is mainly a set of mixed useful add-ons. Why not add more useful things, right? ;3

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Thumbs up & Cookie ~ :3 Those cliffs surely makes the map look without that square thing <__<

Rep:
Level 89
Very nice!! Good job.  ;)
Regards,
Mike

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Great stuff grafikal!

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Thanks guys :)

And Irock, if you have any suggestions, that'd be fine. I think it might be best to keep our things separate, but I'll post your links inside my Additional Notes header for sure. I don't want to make the topic too complicated having to explain which parts of the tileset are mine and which parts are other peoples'. That way users can decide to combine the tilesets if they want to. :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yeah, I understand. I'm just tired of seeing people do this.

Thanks for puttin' my stuff up. :]

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
This is really nice.

I might use this in the future (because I might switch to RMVX in the future).
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
:)  Well, I have a couple more ideas to improve what I have here now. I'm thinking about creating an upper cliff face so that instead of making cliffs missing upper corners, you just wouldn't place the entire top edge and then I'll create a center piece that connects and can repeat from the left upper corner to the right upper corner. This way, you can then set the passablities of all the upper corners and this new cliff piece to the "Star" so that players using characters that are taller than 1 tile (nonRTP character sets, IE: Mack's Characters) they can walk under the top cliff section. Also, I'm going to make a cross section of the "Arch" tile, so that you can make X's. Like a 4-way intersection instead of the 3-ways that I added as well.

Edit:: Ok I did all that. I updated my first post. New screenshots, new tutorial, etc. Version 1.1

Edit:: I'm currently finishing up a large update for the tileset which I'll include separately from what is currently up there. It's going to be nothing but a curved bottom section for the cliffs. It's a little tricky, but I've got it down. Soon I'll update to a full 2.0 and include addons to my addons lol. Here's a little something I whipped up using my new addons including 2.0 which isn't up quite yet.

As you can see, there's a lonely little shadow there. That's because of how much of the actual autotile I used. Also there are not shadows on the right sides of any of my addons for the cliffs at the bottom. I'm going to add them now and when I'm done with everything I'll post how to make it look correct by using the side shadows from TileB. However, this is tricky too because most of you know that anything past TileA will be over written by another tile. So those shadows would disappear if you placed something above them. There's a fix for that but requires a completely separate addon sheet. Literally addons to these addons.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:49:17 AM by grafikal »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Updated to a full 2.0. I thought of a couple of small things, which I will later update to 2.1.
Updated a few of the example screenshots to SEXY ROBOT worthy screenshots.(damn do I impress myself sometimes)

As usual, have fun. :D

Rep:
Level 102
Very nice. Thus ends the need for square cliffs.

I think you should make a rounded shadow to go with the rounded cliffs.The square ones don't really look right on the ends. :S

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Yep, that was going to be in my next update for 2.1. That and also, notice how I have tiles that you can use that are 1 tile wide cliffs downwards? Well I don't have any 1 tile wide cliffs for either up, left, or right. So I'm going to include those as well.

Rep:
Level 89
Another good piece of work, grafikal!  ;)
Regards,
Mike

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
2.1 Update:
-Added Rounded shadow
-Added single tile cliff tips for left, right, and up. Doesn't only use Down now.

Planned updates:
Possibly some side steps & my own version of a mini cliff or hill. Similar to Mack's. Also, I decided I would add my world map grass set to the mix. It'll be an addition similar to the alternate cliff bottoms I posted above.

::Also, not to toot my own horn, but I stickied this here. I feel like these rounded cliff pieces are fantastic for making a game's eyecandy in VX shoot through the roof.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:46:47 AM by grafikal »

Rep:
Level 83
I really enjoy these. But I wonder, can there be a non-shadow version? I use modern algebra's Kill Autoshadows script and well these have shadows. It'd be nice to have a non-shadow version of these.

Edit: Well you know how those bottom corners you put shadows there. Is there a non-shadow one is what I am asking.

Also I wonder if these might work for TileA and replace the old ones, all but the bottom middle and upper ones?

Ah well these are awesome really. Should make an upper part that is grass instead of that brown one. Keep the brown one but also have it as grass there instead. To make grass cliffs to walk on does not look pretty when it's not possible with these RTP. Sure just not use a top part and just use the cliff but that don't look pretty. Then there is the top part of the cliff, there is nothing for that either.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:07:12 AM by Raukue »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Hm. I like what you are saying about the grass ontop of the cliffs and stuff. I'll have to think about that. I'll just be updating this post from time to time. I'll post your request up here soon, it's as simple as turning off the shadow layer in the photoshop document. I also have quite a few other things I've been working on this past week while on vacation. Those I'll post as addons to this addon TileE since some of them take up so much space. This'll get updated before the end of the night for sure.

Rep:
Level 83
Sweet, thanks that'd be awesome. And yes with the grass cliff tops just like the old RPG makers that had those grass cliffs. Just have to make like a sort of brown edge border or something for that.

Also, I notice how on Tile A, the final area with the dirt for putting crops on, that there is no need for there to be 2 upper parts for it right next to each other. I just mention it just in case you think you should put something in those 2 spaces if you decide to put a simple Tile A improvement.

But yes a non-shadow version of the cliffs would be nice. No way I could really edit them without it looking bleh. And well as you said there with the shadow layer, it'd be easier for you to edit.

And the grass top cliff, you'd just need to make that part of it because the brown cliff that is already there would be used for the walls. Also could make a snow top cliff as well which would also use those brown cliff walls only have the snow for the top, just like the grass one. Because don't think using that ice cliff meant more for dungeons would look right in towns or outside locations. Also possibly a desert cliff top and maybe that dirt like path.

Though now that I think about it... all you'd really need to do is make that little brown cliff edges while leaving the middle the rest around transparent that way just using the normal grass and other floors, then putting on that cliff edge over it. Hope that makes any sense, I have trouble explaining things sometime. I am sure you already had that in mind though.

As for rock ideas, make ones that had took up about 4 squares like old RPG Makers. Just an idea though throwing it out there. I much rather prefer that cliff border for all the other kinds of terrian that would use the brown cliff walls.

Keep up the good work though, these are real nice.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
When I learn how to perfectly blend animated autotiles, I was thinking about making the RTP with rounded smooth corners instead of literally corners. I'd have to work a lot on that before I get to it though. I'm about to swap over to the Mac and make a few edits to post them here. Expect the post within the hour.

Rep:
Level 83
It's probably not possible to put the cliffs on Tile A autotiles unless there would be grass.

As for what now just came to thought, is that all those are also kind of used for a border when making caves and all and to be able to walk on them is not possible unless making a seperate square tile for walkable area.

As for the Mac sets, those are nice, but how things seem more suited for characters that are taller rather than that mini default like characters. And how it lacks a snow area, not that much room could of been had of course. But if there was an alternate having all the same tiles in the same place but replacing the normal green ones with snow ones, then using a swap tileset script would be more a breeze.

Anyway I look forward to see your edits of those and the non-shadow version of those RTP cliffs.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
lol, I meant Mac as in OSX :P  I use a Mac. It has all the image editing software I use on an everyday basis and also has my Windows on it with Bootcamp, which is how I use RPG Makers and stuff like that. I'm in the middle of editing the first post here.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Rep:
Level 83
Wow really awesome. I wonder how would I use those addons really? Also where did you get those shadows for using in a forest or clouds overhead like that?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
The shadow in the forest there is a fog. It's one of the RTP fogs from RPGM-XP. They have two of the same, one is just blurry. I forget which I used, but you need a Fog script to use it in-game like I did there. Also, you don't really have to use all those addons, I know I don't. I use some of them though. The real focus of this topic is for people to rip what they want to use the from the tile sets I produce. No need to use exactly what's on there :P   Also a lot of this stuff isn't on my TileE, some is on my TileB and D. I erase a lot of things I don't use and recycle their blank spots to save space. It's getting harder lol.

Rep:
Level 83
Those cliff edges are nice and just what I was thinking, though not thinking of it for the world map but a nice touch. Was thinking to take the brown cliff top that has that little bit of brown cliff wall on it, the first one you had put on here, to take a copy of that and somehow just leave a sort of brown edge, sort of like you did for the world map cliffs, but leave the middle empty that way there can be grass behind it and it would then look like how you made your brown cliffs there, only with grass there instead. Or snow or any other kind of flooring with it.

But yeah these are awesome and make me look at all the other Tiles seeing which ones I wouldn't really use so I could place something there from what you made.

Edit: I notce that when I make cliff walls... when its in the middle or well no turn, I do press shift on the wall so it blends with the sides you have there. but the upper part for some reason leaves like this little black line crack on the most upper part, is that normal? I don't see that on your screens.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:20:34 AM by Raukue »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I have quite a few more world map pieces I can make. That's sort of the thing I've been into lately. My game happens to be pretty massive and diverse. You could only imagine how UNBELIEVABLY boring the world map would become as you walk around it. If you've noticed when you're on my world map, you're 1/2 the size as a normal VX sprite and you walk 1/2 as slow so you get to experience the long walks from place to place and what-not.

You'll have to give me an example of those cliffs you're talking about and I'll see what I can do about it. I'm not certain still what you mean.