RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A Fable

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
A Fable
* Fancy titular imagery coming soon

Hello everyone, and welcome to my little corner of the WIP forum. I've been working off-and-on on an action-adventure-RPG for a little over a month now, and I've finally gotten to the point where I can throw together some decent screenshots and other such information.

So, without further adieu...

Teaser Story
Spoiler for:
There are some stories that, once told, never leave the minds of those that hear them. Time has no bearing on them, and they live on forever.

In the land of Auradorne and its neighbor, Britanica, there exists one such story. It is the story of a man with humble beginnings who rose to become the unwilling savior of all sentient races. A man who rose to the occasion, and put an end to an ageless conflict.

It is a story that all hold dear. It is… a fable.

Character Profiles
Spoiler for:

Elijah Blackwood – Main Character
         Sex: Male
         Home: Auburn

History: Elijah Blackwood was the middle child in the Blackwood family until his older brother, Nicolas, was killed by bandits while hunting. Since then, he has taken up many of Nicolas’ duties around their city and home.

Elijah and his father aren’t particularly fond of each other. Nicolas was his favorite son in life, so their father spent most of his time bonding with him. In doing so, he neglected to bond with Elijah, causing him to become quite distant. Due to this, Elijah and his father frequently bump heads, much to the annoyance of everyone else.

Elijah’s personality differs from most due to his lack of an adequate father figure. He’s very observant and doesn’t say much. When he does speak, however, it is usually accompanied with a vibe of finality, and always with a sarcastic edge.

Elijah was born with green eyes, a trait not seen since his great grandmother was alive. He is also a regular tavern customer; despite his youth, he can easily out-drink many of the older tenants.

Thomas Blackwood – Main Character's Father
         Sex: Male

History: Before settling down and raising a family, Thomas was a high ranking guard in the town of Havenstone. This position has earned him many enemies, which he must deal with from time to time.

Thomas is a headstrong man, and once he’s decided on something, little can change his mind. He loves his family dearly, but his sternness has kept him from growing close to them. The exception to this was Nicolas, his eldest son, who was tragically murdered by bandits. He blames himself for his son’s death, as he believes the murderer was undoubtedly one of his enemies.

When he’s not working at his job as a farmer/blacksmith/hunter/guard, Thomas can usually be found drinking at the local tavern in Auburn or mourning at his son’s grave.

Theresa Blackwood – Main Character's Mother
         Sex: Female

History: Unlike her husband, Theresa has lived her entire life in the town of Auburn. As the daughter of the town’s lord, she was supposed to become the leading lady of the town. However, after sleeping with a young man (at the time) named Thomas (who she would later marry) and having a son out of wedlock, she lost this inheritance. Thus, she settled down and started a family.

Theresa is an independent woman, though at times she is somewhat naïve of the world outside of Auburn’s walls. Nevertheless, she is a loving mother and a dedicated wife.

Even at the age of forty-four, Theresa is seen as fairly attractive. Many people try flirting with her on a regular basis, which she finds annoying. On occasion, people will make rude remarks about her to her husband or children, often ignorant of their relation to her. This has led to many a bar fight.

In-Game Screenshots
Spoiler for:

Developmental Screenshots
Spoiler for:

Planned Features
Spoiler for:

• Health and Mana potions are few an far between. Almost all healing and restoration is done via foods, drinks, and inns.
  • A loyal canine companion that is leveled separately from your character. He fights alongside you, finds treasure, etc. You have no control over the dog.
  • Different foods and drinks offer different advantages and disadvantages. For instance, beer increases your overall HP (called Fatigue in this game) and Strength, but reduces everything else and makes the screen obscured.
  • Rather than grinding to gain experience, you must instead pay a trainer and level up your attributes, skills, etc. The same goes for leveling your dog.
  • An ABS, courtesy of BlizzABS.
  • Changing appearance based on the armor you wear.
  • Legendary weapons. Several of them, to be exact. Some of them aren't necessarily as strong as regular weapons, but they have interesting abilities to make up for this.
  • Elijah never dies. When your fatigue reaches zero, you are revived at the nearest inn, fully healed and restored, minus 2000 gold.

You can help!
Spoiler for:

• Create item icons that are used in menus as a graphical representation of the item.
  • Music and sound effects.
  • A few specific character sets, namely, a waterfall, NPCs, etc.

Credits
Spoiler for:

Now that all of that is out of the way, please post your opinions. They will help me become a better game designer, and deliver to you all a better game.

Sincerely,
Ryosis/Rheckameohs/Aedious, depending on where you know me.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You have gorgeous screenshots, but the only thing that's weird is...why do you literally have bushes growing in the trees ._.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Looks good.

No major suggestions except removing the bushes from the canopies, and the flowers from the nicely done tree panorama.  (tileset objects look odd when placed on top of the panorama)

Good luck with your project. Hope it goes well. :]

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Interesting project, with some very nice screenshots. Hope this isn't inspired by Fable.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
You have gorgeous screenshots, but the only thing that's weird is...why do you literally have bushes growing in the trees ._.

Partly for the sake of detail, but mainly because I didn't rightly know how to use canopy on this specific tileset at the time. I've been meaning to fix that for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it for some reason.

Looks good.

No major suggestions except removing the bushes from the canopies, and the flowers from the nicely done tree panorama.  (tileset objects look odd when placed on top of the panorama)

Good luck with your project. Hope it goes well. :]

Why thank you. As for the flowers on the paranorma, the intended appearance was for vines to be growing off the land and kind of extending down. I'll remove them if it looks weird, though.

Interesting project, with some very nice screenshots. Hope this isn't inspired by Fable.

Aside from the dog, the only thing Fable inspired is the name. "Fable" is a catchy title, after all.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Yeah, very nice screenshots and stuff. Looks great!

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Creator of TLOTFR and is quite friendly :D
Very nice mapping and i see your quite good at Eventing too :)
Keep it up :D

Rep:
Level 83
Wow this looks good. Only thing I can think of is like most everyone else was saying get rid of the bushes/flowers in the canopy, also in the panorama. I'm also not sure why there are random pillars and light poles in there. Other than that stuff, i like the mapping and I love the lighting.

3==D This is my bellend.
Rep:
Level 83
dude,r u actually gonna finish this?
no

By Kraft

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I'm wondering why you said that. Just being curious...
Hi

Rep:
Level 83
Why do you ask? are you going to finish yours? or at least taking one of them seriously  :zwink:

PS: nice mapping, hope he is still working on it.

3==D This is my bellend.
Rep:
Level 83
I'm wondering why you said that. Just being curious...
i asked because this game looks great and i want to play it because it's so incredibly awesome
no

By Kraft

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I have to agree with everyone else, this looks amazing.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Might as well get this out of the way.

Quote from: Myself... elsewhere
It is my regretful duty to inform those of you who gave a care about this project that it has been all but abandoned due to a rather stupid mistake on my part. Basically, I was messing with some scripts that I should have left alone, and I dug myself into a very, very deep hole. Errors are everywhere, and it's simply too monotonous to even try anymore.

My resolve is to do a hard restart of the whole thing. This means going back and redoing everything I had meticulously crafted to ensure that it was perfect. I don't see this as a new project though; more of a rebirth. A chance to go back and try out some new ideas with a clean slate. This means a new story, new setting, new characters, etc.

This will be finished. That you can be sure of. It's a matter of time at this point. Expect some of the core ideas (such as the fatigue mechanic, the dog, floating world, etc.) to return, as well as some new ideas to come into play.

From Russia With Love,
Rheckameohs

Enjoy.