RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Inform 7 - Program your Own Text Based Adventure Games in English

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
With the recent post of JFloyd about His C++ text based adventure game and then anski linking a hilarious text based game in irc(Aisle), I became interested in making my own game.

I found some software that makes it extremely easy to write your own text based adventure game. You write in proper english and it just interprets it into game code. As an example here is a room im messing with:
Code: [Select]
Your Living Room is a room."A comforting room that makes you feel safe and warm". The sofa is in the Living Room.
The sofa is an enterable supporter.

The description of the sofa is "It is red and lumpy [if the player is on the sofa]it sags with your weight[end if]."

The software is free to use and theres even a competition if you fancy entering.

The software is available at http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/ it comes with full documentation and hundreds of examples.

Screenshots:

Theres more: http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Gallery.html

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
There's also ADRIFT for those a little less code-savvy. Allows full range of power for whatever you want to do, equal to as much work as you want to put into it, the limit is the file type it saves as, while I think Inform can save in multiple formats, ADRIFT is one format.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep