RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Online 2.5D RPG Engine

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Hello everyone, I'm quite new to this community. I've been working on a 2.5D online RPG engine for some time now. That allows you to use your sprites in a 3D environment where players can interact with each other and take part in actions easily scripted in the c# scripting system built into the server.

The client uses sprites for players and NPCs. The environment client side is made up of real 3D objects and a special terrain system that works similar to tiling in RPG Maker. I'm posting it here to get some feedback and perhaps some help with sprites for it. The base of the server and client are very much down and players can connect, walk around and talk to each other. The plan is to have a fully featured editor similar to that in programs you know like RMXP, but in a 2.5D world.

The idea is to make the toolset available to anyone(on a windows machine) to create games with.

The main features I have implemented so far are:

Client
  • Player Movement
  • Chat
  • Zoning
  • Other Player management
  • Basic NPCs
  • Terrain system
  • 2.5D Sprite system
  • All Major networking
  • Heightmapping
Server
  • MYSQL Database use(for accounts and player data)
  • Player and NPC pathfinding and management
  • C# Scripting for users to define behaviour and events within their game
  • All Major networking
Both are written in C# and the client makes use of DirectX for its 3D graphics.

Below are some screenshots just using a sprite from Ragnarok Online and a tileset from RMXV to demonstrate tiling(similiar to that in 2D games) on the terrain and 2.5D player and NPC sprites, the graphics are temporary and I mean to come up with some default content(users will be able to easily add their own). This is pretty early on in its development and your ideas and help for features are welcome!

Multiple Clients

100 NPCs
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:13:52 PM by MrBen »

Rep:
Level 88
This looks really interesting. Could you get some screenshots up of buildings and such? Maybe a chest as well?

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
There isn't any default content as of yet, since at the moment I am primarily working on the Client, Server and Game Editor. If anyone wants to provide sprites they have created or 3D models(in DirectX .x format) I'd be grateful.

As a quick update, I have begun the Game Editor today and got a lot of the core terrain editing done, such as placing tiles and loading the zone.

Very early shot:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
hot damn, that's a fine piece of programming.

I wish you luck, though I'm not sure your program will get much, if any use around rm  communities.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon