RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2012 + 2038

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
2012 is when I graduate. :( If the world actually ends 2012 for whatever reason, I'll have gone through hell just to be put back into hell. :mad:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
You'll go to some university that year, work in some scientific lab for milking cows faster, and accidentally blow the world up.

We all die in 2012 because of you.  :mad:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Hi

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Bit of a revival. Some new information that I heard. Sometime in 2012 there's a scheduled super solar storm. There was one back in like...the 1850's that they called the 'Perfect Solar Storm' but apparently this one has been long coming and due to be intense. In the 1850's it didn't matter worth a shit since the only technology affected by it was the telegraph. You can see where this is going, so if half the world loses all electric power, I suppose we're fucked in a way. Not really the end of the world, but surely fucked hard for a long time and it'd be a long time before we recover from it. It's not an end of the world theory like epic explosions and shit, but more like we'd go back into the dark ages instantly and people all over the world would bitch and cry like a fucking baby and that's why it would suck. World wide EMP blast. BOOOSHHH. lol.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Knowing ._.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
what? lol. the movie? that was on television tonight... i was watching it kinda while typing my paper.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I couldn't care less about 2012. I just want to go home from work every day.

I see it this way. Everyone dies, eventually. What can you do to stop it? Not a damned thing. Some people spend their entire lives worrying about dying, and when the moment comes, they say "Oh, why didn't I LIVE my life?" At least, I've heard some of my patients say so.

Screw 2021. I'm a cold war kid, living with imminent destruction is nothing new to me. Live life in every breath.

Spoiler for:
Having said that, watch me be wrong and 2012 IS the end. Good to know ya, guys!
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I see it this way. Everyone dies, eventually. What can you do to stop it? Not a damned thing.
I sorta feel that way, except I think death is just as beautiful as life. Leaving all your problems behind and taking your memories of loved ones with you :)

I don't necessarily welcome death, but I don't fear it or obsess over it.
what? lol. the movie? that was on television tonight... i was watching it kinda while typing my paper.
Also yes

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I sorta feel that way, except I think death is just as beautiful as life. Leaving all your problems behind and taking your memories of loved ones with you :)

That is a beautiful way of looking at death, IMO.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Bit of a revival. Some new information that I heard. Sometime in 2012 there's a scheduled super solar storm. There was one back in like...the 1850's that they called the 'Perfect Solar Storm' but apparently this one has been long coming and due to be intense. In the 1850's it didn't matter worth a shit since the only technology affected by it was the telegraph. You can see where this is going, so if half the world loses all electric power, I suppose we're fucked in a way. Not really the end of the world, but surely fucked hard for a long time and it'd be a long time before we recover from it. It's not an end of the world theory like epic explosions and shit, but more like we'd go back into the dark ages instantly and people all over the world would bitch and cry like a fucking baby and that's why it would suck. World wide EMP blast. BOOOSHHH. lol.

Sooooo....here's to hoping India China and Russia get hit with that...and all of europe. Those people stink So we can get their coffee.
And I recall hearing about a rather large solar storm five years ago on halloween or something that did absolutely nothing. Who knows, maybe we'll end up like the Fantastic Four. :D

Anyhow I think I agree with everything I skimmed over of Holk's posts. The calender is like a circle correct? And when it ends it just loops again IIRC. But I can't take this too seriously, I've lived through many a total annihilation scenarios and about 99% of which we never hear about for some reason or another. Methinks I'll survive 2012 just like I did the numerous solar flares that could've poked through and wiped us clean, Y2K, 06/06/06 and whatever other none-sense.

2012 looks very sub-par, it looks like independence day had a bastard child with the day after tomorrow (nothing to similar about them...all about specific dates or being made by the smae guy...noooooo).
My perfect doomsday scenario would be Chew-Z. Ohohohoho....how about yours?

EDIT wow I wrote game instead of guy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:26:15 PM by Ko?ciuszko »

Rep:
Level 83
The Mayans are not the only peoples to have made predications concerning the winter solstice in 2012. Nostrodamus did, the Hopi did, the Egyptians and so on (http://www.13moon.com/prophecy%20page.htm)
That 2012 will be the end of the Earth/mankind as we view it is debateable, they probably meant the end of the age symbolically, in essence, a passing of a time, like the galactic equinox.
The reason that Maya believed that this time would be the end of all is because they believed in the center of the galaxy was an evil place, and we'll be lining up and shit, that's my take on it all at any rate.

(P.S I just read that website, It's very wierd and is abundant with what seems to be false information.)
Projects:
ProjectAstura(Rmxp)
Illian Online(vbGore)
ProlengaEngine/UrbaniaOnline(Custom MUD Engine)
Infraelly(MMORPG Development Engine)
Kandora (Graal-Reborn Server)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I just want to make sure I get a good amount of D3 and The Old Republic play in before the world dies. If I die before I play both of those, then fuck you, world. fuck you.

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRK2013 Kindest MemberBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member

You know, I read a book about this once. Was quite an interesting read. 

Edit: umm.. this being a world wide blackout caused by a solar storm >_>   

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
My Mac's date and time setting only goes up to the year 2037. I guess that's when the Apple company will die out.
Spoiler for:
Just being a jackass. :V
Quoting an old post but there is actually a reason for that and its similar to the problem we encountered with Y2K.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
I still don't believe it.
Hi

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Just curious, why do the Macs only go up to 2037? Seems like an odd number... any significance?

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Ah, I see. Thanks, chew.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
The problem affects all software and systems that store system time as a signed 32-bit integer, and interpret this number as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 January 1, 1970
Send out a patch that changes the year that it started, lol. Didn't they have to deal with something like this in Y2K? You'd think they noted where the time/dates were stored. :P

And they have, like, 28 years to do this. >_> I don't think they'll be lounging around those 28 years.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
1)I agree. People have 28 years to fix this problem
2)We're getting a bit off topic
Hi

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
The thread was dead anyway.

kikiki
Rep:
Level 84
Hi
Okay lets rename it to 2038 + 2012
Hi

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
The difference between the Y2k and Y2k38 problem is that the Y2k was primarily broke uis where as Y2k38 has a much higher chance of causing problems in the back-end.
Considering all the darned legacy code in existence today I'll make the prediction that there will still exist systems using 32bit integers for storing dates.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
The difference between the Y2k and Y2k38 problem is that the Y2k was primarily broke uis where as Y2k38 has a much higher chance of causing problems in the back-end.
Considering all the darned legacy code in existence today I'll make the prediction that there will still exist systems using 32bit integers for storing dates.

Oh definitely I can see that, parts of the government still use DOS regularly. I'm gonna assume tons of companies still use  quasi-archaic systems. but I guess we depend on them to the point where if we took the time to actually upgrade it could cause larger amounts of damage not being able to access the data.
I can't tell you how many times I've read stuf like "Oh everybody should just use macs". That's dumb. we depend on systems probably older than any regulars on this forum. Imagine the incompatibilities, it'd be like vista 2.0 virus and all if OS X gets the majority of users.

Anyhow, it's an interesting topic but I'm sure people are exaggerating how much damage this could cause.