These are 10 easy steps along with illustration of each step to ensure that everyone knows how to make a simple village.
1. Let's make a village 40 x 40. Paint it all green using the green grass tile NEXT to the bushy grass tile.
2. Use the shallow water tile (first tile in A) to make a stream or a river through the center of it.
3. Now design houses 4 tiles wide by 4 tiles tall. Square simple houses using the red roof and the tile beneath of it for the walls.
--- Put up 4 buildings (1 shop, 1 inn, 1 pub, 1 whatever). Make sure the buildings have consistant sizes and make sure they aren't giant sky scrapers. Giant skyscrapers look funny in the map. I've seen plenty of people who make buildings thick, giant and huge. It just looks funny in the game.
4. Now make paths connecting them all. Use whatever tile you want
--- Make the blatant paths that EVERY townsperson would use. You can make hidden trails later.
5. Now make an outline / border of the town using fences or trees if you want.
--- or make no border, its you're village.
--- If you use trees, use the clumped tree tile. Do not put the top or root of the tree yet. Do that when everything is done or else you will just end up doing it twice.
6. Now put bridges across the stream / river.
--- Make the obvious birdges that connect the main path.
7. Now make details like dirt, sand and tall grass.
--- Now is when you make dirt paths, sandy trails or trails that not everyone in the village would take. If you make some extra paths, don't make them blatant.
8. Now add trees and bushes.
--- Do this creatively, use them to block off areas, because that makes exploring fun instead of easy and pointless.
9. Now add details like flowers, crops, signs, mailboxes, windows and chimneys.
10. Add some people, objects and events! :-)
--- Add something at each dead end to get interest. That way it improves your game and even a few seconds of gameplay can be all the more enjoyable.
There, easy! My next post will be how to EASILY make good caves.