RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Any Alto Sax people out there? I have questions.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I'm borrowing my buddy's alto sax, and I've got two problems.

First off, here's the site I'm using (cuz I'm not taking lessons, just messing around.)
http://www.altosaxophone.us/blow_and_finger_alto_sax.html

So, I followed the steps for playing the first note. Pressing down ONLY the index finger on the left hand. That's the second button from the top.
It's supposed to be a B. It's a D.
Could I have a differently tuned alto sax or something? Like an Eb alto, or whatever?
Or do I have to adjust something.
Because it's a D, but it's spot on, and not really out of tune.

Okay, two, I'm having a lot of trouble making notes and NOT overblowing. i.e. I'm getting harmonics, or notes an octave up when I don't want them. Any advice for that?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:08:41 AM by irock »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
OH WAIT (Again). It's a transposition thing, isn't it? Son of a bitch, I hate transposing instruments...

Well, that still leaves the over-blowing issue I'm having. Any tips? Or just find it, and stick it out, and get used to how it feels? I guess that's the way to learn, but maybe you guys have some tips anyway.

(I just started playing today)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Alto Sax player here.

You just need to get used to it. Also, sheet music you will find need to be transposed for Alto Saxophones, which can cause a bit of a problem and can get annoying.

The only tip I can give you is get used to how it feels. Also, try learning things using play-by-ear, it is the best way to get used to the Sax in my opinion.

EDIT: lol Holk said everything I said in one word. :tpg:

Rep:
Level 96
So no embrochure tips, then? The website I used wasn't very precise, I'm not sure if I'm really doing it right.

Upper teeth on the plastic, about 1/4" in. Upper lips over top, about 1/2 way up the slope, sealing it and making it air-tight. Lower lips over bottom teeth (?), and pressing up on the reed. How far down the reed should I be pressing?

Do I have to change embrochure slightly for different notes?

It's obvious I need to keep practicing, but it would take just a couple seconds to describe what embrochure you use, or answer a question or two, and if I were taking lessons my teacher would do the same thing for me.

But thanks anyway, so far.