RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2003 In-Battle Event Help Please!

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Wow!  An rpgmaker 2003 forum that's active!  I didn't think there were any...awesome.   ;8

Anyway, I've managed to figure things out on my own so far, but there's a semi-complicated idea I want to implement, which I think is possible, but I can't quite make it happen.

(This is for the 2003 edition.)

Ok, I have a fight where the monster is (intentionally) way too tough for the hero to defeat.  But the Hero has just learned a custom spell which Confuses the enemy.  What I want to do is have it so he can't escape normally (or, at least, the chances are very low), but when the enemy is confused, he can escape.

I know you can set a Battle Event in the Monster Group and select Hero uses Magic as the Trigger, but then your hero could cast any old spell and it would work.  Also, then there's no chance for the spell to miss (I do want a little risk!  hehe).  Ideally, I'd like the player to cast the spell, and if it's successful, choose to Escape before the monster wakes up. 

And if this isn't 100% possible, what's the best way to emulate that as close as possible (like possibly using Force Flee if necessary)?  Is there a way to turn a Switch" on mid-combat, for example?

Thanks for any help!

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Well you can make the escape command custom ._.
Like create your own algorithm for the escape command of chances to escape and then have it check if enemy status is x then the chances of escape will increase.

I would think of another way but I'm really tired right now, sorry ;_;

???
"create your own algorithm?"  Is that something you can do in the 2003 edition?  I don't understand... 

Rep:
Level 85
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Basically, you put in a random thing I guess
If hero uses escape command
Variable #Escape: Random 1-10 let's say
Then make conditional branch

If Var Escape is 1
You failed to Escape
if 2
You escaped!
Force Flee Player
if 3
You failed to escape

And so on

Ok, so we're talking in the Monster Group window, Battle Events?  Is that right?
I make the Trigger a Variable... name it "Escape," say.  Then set it to "if Variable is above 3" then do a Party Force Escape?

But how do I make it check to see if the Monster is Confused?
And how do I make it check if the Hero has used the Escape command?

I guess the main, basic thing I'm stuck on is how to make Variables, Switches, etc recognize what's going on during the course of a battle event.

Wait, wait.  Forget that last post.  I just had an idea and (I think) I've made progress!

Ok.  So I've set the Trigger to If Hero uses Magic (unfortunately, it won't let you specify the spell... or is there a way to do that?).  Then I have a Conditional Check to see if the Monster is able to Act.  If he's not, then I have it check to see if the Hero has used Escape.  If the hero has used escape while the monster is unable to act, then I use a Force Flee.  If the monster is able to act, I've just left that blank, so the battle will continue on as-is.
I do lose the possibility of the Escape failing, but instead I've given the monster a chance to resist the spell.

So I think I'm pretty good.  Let me ask a quick, related follow-up question though, if you don't mind...  :)

What stat(s), of the Hero or the Monster effect the chances of Escape?  Is it Agility?  I want to make sure the chances of Escape when the monster isn't Confused by the spell are virtually nil, so the player figures out the trick rather than relying on a work-around.

Thanks!

Any ideas why my M. Event may be working when I test it in the Database, but not when I actually encounter it in-game?

Rep:
Level 85
I'm afraid I can't understand, maybe you set the encounter to a wrong encounter.
Well basically First you need to have a template and then copy paste it to the rest of the encounters and put the enemies in them to work T_T;