RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Windows 7 RC

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start.

Free operating system for about  a year?

Giving it a go soon.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:19:01 PM by Noumes »
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
for a moment there, I thought you were talking about the free copy that all windows vista users are supposedly getting.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
for a moment there, I thought you were talking about the free copy that all windows vista users are supposedly getting.

D: not gonna happen. If we were getting free copies, they wouldn't have made vista's support time frame years past the windows 7 release.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Wait-Wha?!

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Initials:

- Holy crap I didn't have to pull out my driver disks.
- Wow this taskbar saves time/space
- Just as smooth and responsive as vista was (but I assume slower systems will notice the improvements)

Later on:
- Program  compatibility is spot on  (not that I had issues with that on vista 64 bit either)
- Fucking finally desktop widgets are useful/actually on the deskop :O
- Memory usage relatively the same ( a bit less, nothing marginal)
- Window sizing is epic win.
- File browsing (my computer) is sleek in design and a breeze to use.
- For once I'm not thinking about a mac :o

more later ;]

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Sounds like you already have a mac. :V

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
DESKTOP WIDGETS OMG <333333
You could always put sidebar widgets on the desktop, even without the sidebar.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
DESKTOP WIDGETS OMG <333333
You could always put sidebar widgets on the desktop, even without the sidebar.

and now I know ;p
That dumb thing went away everytime I hit windows + D (desktop)

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member

Nah, he can actually do stuff without having to load another operating system. :V

EDIT: Minus the :V
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Nah, he can actually do stuff without having to load another operating system. :V

EDIT: Minus the :V

XP compatability API for programs that aren't compatible with 7...

D: not gonna happen. If we were getting free copies, they wouldn't have made vista's support time frame years past the windows 7 release.

hmm...I'll have to look up more info then.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
So if we get the RC, we can keep it until 2010 until we need a retail copy of 7?

Sounds fuckawesome. I'm hearing good things about 7 too.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
So if we get the RC, we can keep it until 2010 until we need a retail copy of 7?

yes ;]

Sounds fuckawesome. I'm hearing good things about 7 too.

It's amazing so far. I still can't believe how useful this darn taskbar is ;0

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
how long does it take to install?
is there a way to skin it yet?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Install took me about 10 mins, the disk wipe took 25mins

skin, dunno. I'm loving the default though.

edit:
The icons in the tray are all one color, looks clean <3

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I wish there were some reviews about the bad parts of it, too. Sort of sickening and shabby to only read 20 articles stating how much it has improved >_>
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Install took me about 10 mins, the disk wipe took 25mins

skin, dunno. I'm loving the default though.

edit:
The icons in the tray are all one color, looks clean <3

program compatibility?
how about hardware drivers?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
program compatibility?
how about hardware drivers?

- Holy crap I didn't have to pull out my driver disks.
- Program  compatibility is spot on  (not that I had issues with that on vista 64 bit either)

drivers installed automatically. all my programs that worked in vista worked fine--and keep in mind im running 64bit windows so that's an achievement to most people's standards.

You could always partition an external and install it on there if you want. Change boot devices in bios to load usb's before your hardrive.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
All of the good things that I've been hearing about it are things that you can do in XP with 3rd party software. Everything other than that is all worse than XP, ie. memory use, compatibility, annoying protection software. It sounds like Vista's release all over again. I'll probably try it out just to see for myself, but so far, I'm not impressed.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Everything other than that is all worse than XP, ie. memory use...
Because when you play CS:S it requires a higher end video card and more memory than 1.6. How about every new game as compared to back when XP was around? Do any of them actually look/play better but require less hardware than it's previous?...ah....no. Now you need faster processors, and larger graphic cards to play them.

compatibility [issues]

not here, and again im running 64bit which also claims even less compatibility.

But sure, I'd say give it a try and see how you like it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:48:40 PM by Noumes »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
drivers installed automatically. all my programs that worked in vista worked fine--and keep in mind im running 64bit windows so that's an achievement to most people's standards.

You could always partition an external and install it on there if you want. Change boot devices in bios to load usb's before your hardrive.

I have a 70 gig partition that I can use to install it and try to dual boot.
Going to wait until this semester at school is done first, though.  that'll give me time to re-download any torrents or anything for programs I want to keep, just in case it fails.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel

Because when you play CS:S it requires a higher end video card and more memory than 1.6. How about every new game as compared to back when XP was around? Do any of them actually look/play better but require less hardware than it's previous?...ah....no. Now you need faster processors, and larger graphic cards to play them.

My point is that to play any game on Vista and 7, you need an additional GB or so of RAM, as opposed to XP. XP can look just as good as (if not better than) Vista if you have the right mods, and it uses way less resources. So comparing it to games doesn't make a lot of sense. It's just an OS, and its purpose is to let me get into the things I want to run. I see no need for it to have 3D windows, and all of the other useless stuff that takes up memory.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
XP can look just as good as (if not better than) Vista if you have the right mods, and it uses way less resources. So comparing it to games doesn't make a lot of sense. It's just an OS, and its purpose is to let me get into the things I want to run. I see no need for it to have 3D windows, and all of the other useless stuff that takes up memory.

hypocritical...a bit?

Why run more useless system processes if that's what you're against?

If you see no need for it to have '3d' and other useless stuff that takes up memory, why in the blue hell are you going through mods to beautify what you said in the first place doesn't need to look good? Are you running with styles disabled? I mean after all the styles are unless if you use the OS as a stepping stone to your game.

;o

Compatibility? Once XP is dropped by microsoft, I'll ask you how compatible you are with newer software.

Rep:
Level 94
I use ObjectDock, for ease of use. That's all. I didn't say that I used desktop mods, I said that it was possible for XP to look better than Vista with them, and not use as much resources. Please read what is written before you reply. Also, my argument isn't that newer software isn't compatible with Vista, it is that older software isn't compatible with Vista. Obviously, eventually more games will use things like newer DX revisions, and will not run in XP, but for now I still see no real reason to switch.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I use ObjectDock, for ease of use. That's all. I didn't say that I used desktop mods, I said that it was possible for XP to look better than Vista with them, and not use as much resources. Please read what is written before you reply

right, like you mentioned what you do and don't use above?

unless your xp looks like that, don't complain about needing system resources for your gaming.

edit: don't forget xp virtualization.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:59:53 AM by Noumes »

Rep:
Level 94
Don't even get me started on that. But yeah, I'll have to just try it out and see for myself.