RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
NAM's VX Challenge

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
    NAM's VX Challenge

Alright Kiddos, this is a very simple challenge, obviously to be done with RMVX.

Rules
    • You may only use the RTP Resources: That means no custom scripts, sprites, or tiles.  Eventing is fine.  CUSTOM TITLE SCREENS ARE FINE.  If it wasn't installed with the RTP, it's out of bounds.
    • You -are- allowed to use this script, as it fixes the mistake enterbrain made with variables.
    • You ARE allowed to move RTP resources into different folders (such as a face set to the pictures folder) as long as you do not modify it.
    • You have 15 days from the time you sign up, to finish your game.
    • You must submit a non-encrypted version of your game to the judges, but may submit an encrypted version for the public.
    • Limit 1 member per team
    • To submit your game, PM a link to me, and I will distribute it to the judges.  After the voting ends you are free to post a project thread of your own

Judging
    • Each judge is to play each game to completion, or to the point where they feel that they can adequately grade the game
    • They are then to grade the game in the following categories (grade from 0 to 10):
      -- Mapping Skill (how well they were able to use the default tileset)
      -- Concept Originality (how fresh and new the game's story and/or mechanics were)
      -- Execution (how well the game was delivered and how smoothly it played)
      -- Fun Factor (was it fun?)
    • The scores from all judges will be averaged to determine the game's final score
    • If desired, the judge can write a review (of any desired length) to help explain their assessment.
    • Judges are not to conspire with each other, or talk to each other about a game or games until the judging has been completed

Simple enough right?  15 days, RTP only.  No gathering special resources or anything, just trying to make a killer game with what you have available right from the get-go.  With the exception of a custom title screen, should you choose to use one.
    It can be any sort of game, as long as no scripting goes into it other than the default scripts.

STOP ASKING IF I WILL BEND THE RTP-ONLY RULE, I WILL NOT, THIS IS AN RTP ONLY CHALLENGE, BENDING THAT RULE DEFEATS THE PURPOSE.

Signups ARE CLOSED, NO EXCEPTIONS

Contestants
    • MrMoo (RMRK) - March 18th
    • Chaze007 (CP) - March 18th
    • Revo (RMRK) - March 20th
    • GuardianAngelX72 (CP) - March 19th
    • HowlingWinds (RMRK) - March 19th
    • Bayard Zylos (RMRK) - March 20th
    • Modern Algebra (RMRK) - March 20th
    • Zeichwolf (RMRK) - March 22nd
    • Nessiah (RMRK) - March 20th
    • Ocean (RMRK) - March 21st
    • Knight Rider (RMRK) - March 22nd
    • Susys (CP) - March 21st
    • Starfyre (RMRK) - March 24th
    • Kingmunkey (CP) - March 24th
    • Wolfram77 (RMRK) - March 25th

Judges
    • Landith (CP)
    • game_guy (CP)
    • Nightwolf (RMRK)
    • Blizzard (CP)
    • Irockman1 (RMRK)

Prizes
    • 1st : 1st place signature/profile badge, and (pick one) either a free commission, or a simple script (complexity of script subject to interpretation and analysis by NAMKCOR)
    • 2nd : a 2nd place signature/profile badge
    • 3rd : a 3rd place signature/profile badge

For Dropping out, you get this consolation prize!
    Spoiler for:

[/list]

AND ALL THE SCORES ARE IN AND TALLIED

In first place:
    Mapping - 8.6
    Originality - 7.6
    Execution - 8
    Fun - 8.2
    Overall - 8.1
    Spoiler for:
    Ocean

In second place:
    Mapping - 6.6
    Originality - 7.6
    Execution - 7.4
    Fun - 7.8
    Overall - 7.35
    Spoiler for:
    Zylos

In third place:
    Mapping - 7.2
    Originality - 8.5
    Execution - 5.9
    Fun - 5.8
    Overall - 6.85
    Spoiler for:
    MrMoo

And in last place:
    Mapping - 4.6
    Originality - 5
    Execution - 5.3
    Fun - 5
    Overall - 4.95
    Spoiler for:
    Kingmunkey

I can't script right now due to no RMXP, but I can do art commission if that's the desired prize.  Gratz people.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:22:19 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
    Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Doneski
    Rep:
    Level 86
    So, let me get this straight. You have 15 days from the time you sign up and not 15 days from March 10th?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
    Cheese
    Rep:
    Level 95
    ?
    So, let me get this straight. You have 15 days from the time you sign up and not 15 days from March 10th?

start now - sign up march 10th
    Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

if you sign up today, it's due the 18th.
    if you sign up tomorrow, it's due the 19th.
    if you sign up two days from now, it's due the 20th.
    etc...

Rep:
    Level 91
    Blah blah blah...
    Project of the Month winner for November 2008
    I'm in. This'll probably put some motivation back into my RPG making.

- -

Rep:
    Level 84
    Is a New Zealander

start now - sign up march 10th

^ This.

I'm actually slightly interested. But you really should make the entries close at... say the 20th? Instead of 15 days from signup, just so everyone has an even playing field.
    I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Furry Philosopher
    Rep:
    Level 94
    Rawr?
    2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
    He said signups close on the 10th.

I'm interested, but first I have to clear off my own schedule of projects.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    I'm actually slightly interested. But you really should make the entries close at... say the 20th? Instead of 15 days from signup, just so everyone has an even playing field.

you joining then?

also it is an even playing field, if I had entries just close on the 20th, then what about the people who saw it late?

Rep:
    Level 88
    I'll join, but I won't be actually starting until tomorrow. I won't be at my computer today. It might help me get back into working with RPG Maker. I've been ignoring it for the past few months. >.>

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    ok, then your time starts tomorrow.

Rep:
    Level 88
    Something something events
    Project of the Month winner for December 2008
    I'm in, and I'll start today.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    a side note, someone brought up 'special' resources that apparently come with VX but aren't installed with the RTP.

The rule is: if it's not installed with the RTP, you can't use it.  Only exception is the title screen.  So these 'special' resources aren't legal.

Rep:
    Level 97
    2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
    What about the Game_Interpreter fix so that variables can be used properly? Anyway, I'm in, but I won't start until tomorrow. Also, I take it that I can't write any scripts specifically for this challenge, but is it possible to write major event systems for this challenge? Or are they too off-limits?

For said event systems, would it be allowed to create pictures to be used? For picture eventing, for instance. This is really only a very minor task.

Furry Philosopher
    Rep:
    Level 94
    Rawr?
    2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
    The challenge is for you to do it entirely with events and no outside resources or scripting, aside from the script command for events. Anything that you can do with the game alone (without opening the script editor), is fair ground. But the event picture would be a no no, otherwise I myself would try something too. However, you do make a good point about the variable fix. That is a needed script due to an error on Enterbrain's part. That should be the only exception to the rule of no scripts.

Also, count me in too, starting tomorrow.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    What about the Game_Interpreter fix so that variables can be used properly?

I wasn't aware of that, please link to it so I can add it to the main post as an exception.

For said event systems, would it be allowed to create pictures to be used? For picture eventing, for instance. This is really only a very minor task.

did those pictures come installed with the RTP?

Rep:
    Level 97
    2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
    http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25243.0.html

And no, that's why I asked if they could be created :( Though, they kind of would, since it would just be extending the default windowskin and then making words... but I get it, I won't do any picture eventing. That being said, can you use as pictures, graphics that do come with VX. In other words, could I import say, one of the faces from the Faces folder, into the pictures folder and use it with Show Picture? or is that too off-limits?

Furry Philosopher
    Rep:
    Level 94
    Rawr?
    I think it's pretty much no importing at ALL. When you send the game, you don't really send anything but the data files.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25243.0.html

And no, that's why I asked if they could be created :( Though, they kind of would, since it would just be extending the default windowskin and then making words... but I get it, I won't do any picture eventing. That being said, can you use as pictures, graphics that do come with VX. In other words, could I import say, one of the faces from the Faces folder, into the pictures folder and use it with Show Picture? or is that too off-limits?

yes, you are allowed to do that, as you are not directly modifying the resources, just the location that they are placed.

Zylos' boyfriend. <3
    Rep:
    Level 84
    I am wolf, hear me howl.
    I suppose I'll give it a shot, but I'm not starting until this Sunday when I'm back at college. Three papers and a quiz to study for over my Spring Break is anything but fair. =_=;

But yeah, count me in starting the 8th.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    I suppose I'll give it a shot, but I'm not starting until this Sunday when I'm back at college. Three papers and a quiz to study for over my Spring Break is anything but fair. =_=;

But yeah, count me in starting the 8th.

yours is due the 22nd.

Rep:
    Level 88
    Just to make sure, Database changes are okay, right? It would seem kinda odd if you couldn't do that, but I'd rather ask first so I don't screw up.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    Just to make sure, Database changes are okay, right? It would seem kinda odd if you couldn't do that, but I'd rather ask first so I don't screw up.

database changes are fine, that doesn't count as modifying RTP resources.

Rep:
    Level 85
    I am the wood of my broom
    2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for April 2010
    Alright, I'm joining, fufufu

Rep:
    Level 88
    Just remembered something I was going to ask. Is there a minimum/maximum gameplay time limit?

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
    Just remembered something I was going to ask. Is there a minimum/maximum gameplay time limit?

no, short games are fine, but if it's short without reason to be so (an interesting system, or etc...) then I'd think judges would dock points.