RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game Titles: What to do.

Rep:
Level 84
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
So, you’ve read Holk’s witty denouncement of the ever-present yet horrible titles. But your game is about dragons searching for a crystal throughout eternity but simultaneously in their final fantasy. Your previous title (Final Fantasy: The Eternal Dragon’s Crystal) is bunk and you need a new direction. Hopefully this guide will help you pick out a good title for your game.
(N.B., This guide will not improve your crappy game; it may just disguise its crappiness long enough for someone to download the demo. Alternatively, a good title will help “sell” a good game.)

To explore good titles we can look to existing games, movies, and literature.

However, existing games—even extremely well-selling games—often have the problem of bad names since they have historically marketed to the same crowd that now comes up with names like “The Amaranthine Knights of Eternia.” “Final Fantasy” might have been a powerful title in the beginning, but the name is now used to sell to the same market. In the mainstream videogame market “Final Fantasy IX” really means “Sakaguchi’s Ninth Game.” You do not have that power, so there will be few video game examples.

Movie titles can have notoriously bad names as well, but the main lesson we can learn from them is brevity, brevity, brevity. Memento is a great title as compared to Till Human Voices Wake Us and We Drown. (Okay, I love Guy Pearce).

Literature has given us a great list of enduring names that I will mostly draw from to illustrate good titles. So without further to-do, here’s a quick list of titling tips:

Titling Tips
•   Fragmented prepositions (To Kill a Mockingbird, Until I Find You)
These titles add a sense of mystery and incompletion to a work. Is it wrong to kill a mocking bird? What’ll you do until you find me? While these titles can be tricky (and rarely brief), they usually have a poetically pleasing rhythm and often demand that the reader read on.

•   Adjectives following nouns as to suggest action (Paradise Lost, Atlas Shrugged)
This type of title is concise, yet kinetic. Two words that suggest that humanity has lost paradise, or that the greatest men on earth are abandoning their duties. These titles enjoy the brevity, brevity, brevity rule.

•   The work's motto or theme (All's Well That Ends Well, As You Like It)
Maybe Shakespeare’s the only one that does this, in which case we need to see more of it. They are not the briefest titles in the world, but their originality makes up for it.

•   Alliteration and assonance (Palace of Pleasure, Love’s Labours Lost, V for Vendetta)
These titles are first-and-foremost catchy. The mind, especially the English speaking mind, enjoys the association of starting sounds. The biggest risk with these titles is forcing the wording to fit the alliteration, which looses all effectiveness as a title.

•   Commands (Look Homeward, Angel)
One of the most psychologically powerful titles. A direct command is gripping to the point of nearly being invasive. The title alone can evoke emotion, as Thomas Wolfe’s work does for me. This is not customary for titles, but can be extremely effective for “selling” your game.

•   Second Person (The World Ends With You)
Similar to commands, titles that mention (or better, address) the reader/player/movie-goer draw said person in. (The world ends with me? Aw shoot. . . I’d better try and avoid that.) These titles can be awkward in their novelty and may make the consumer feel too uncomfortable, but they are a powerful way to go if you can.

•   Concepts separated by conjunctions (Pride and Prejudice, War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Steam and Steel)
These are especially prevalent in literature. These titles help if you have strong themes in your work.  Especially if the themes are progressions (Crime and Punishment) or seeming opposites (War and Peace).

•   Allusion (The Doors of Perception, A Separate Peace)
Allusions can be pretentious. But otherwise they help to connect a broad theme of even whole story to another work (yours!). I don’t know how often allusion is used in video games, but I believe this community can break the mold.

•   “Zingers” (Memento, Brick, Crash, Taken, Halo)
Popular in movies and videogames, “Zingers” are quick, powerful, and hopefully memorable. They generally express a concept encapsulated in the work. It is often best for these titles to suggest action, as it adds to the excitement.

•   And, finally, the Golden Rule:
“Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.” –George Orwell, Politics and the English Language

As stated before, these tips will not make your game good. They will hopefully make your title good. There is no formula to make a good title. Choosing one of the aforementioned titling tips and putting your words into it will not make a good title. Hopefully though, these tips will expand your mind even that much further.

Special thanks to:
Holk for making this topic http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,29558.0.html
and to Rasse for encouraging me to make the topic you’ve just read.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
very nice.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It is very well done. "Till Human Voices Wake Us and We Drown" would fit under allusion too though - it is the last line of "Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock", by T. S. Eliot

Rep:
Level 84
It is very well done. "Till Human Voices Wake Us and We Drown" would fit under allusion too though - it is the last line of "Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock", by T. S. Eliot
You are very right! One of my favorite poems, too.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Interesting read. Fragmented propositions would catch my eye most of all. Perhaps a pol of which would catch everyone's, just for interest's sake?
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
very nice work :)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
Very well done. It's a lot easier for people if they know what to do instead of just what to avoid.

Stickied. Finally, I get to use my mod powers. :P

Rep:
Level 84
Very well done. It's a lot easier for people if they know what to do instead of just what to avoid.

Stickied. Finally, I get to use my mod powers. :P

Yes, I agree.
Wow, stickied. That's a big first.

Rep:
Level 83
Yes.
Would the zinger "Chimera" work, or is that cliched like dragon? Not that i've seen any chimera games...

Rep:
Level 83
Excellent topic.  The way you break down titling techniques is very useful.

-flap

Rep:
Level 82
I am that I am.
I feel like I'm back in High School English lol. Nicely done. Enjoyable read and informative.
As a dog returns to his vomit so too does a fool to his folly.

Rep:
Level 74
A Fairy Very Wise
"A Fairy Tail(Lol) I: Darkness of SpringVale"
Lmao. i know i just broke every Rule you made.
Because quite frankly. theres the whole game for you in that title.
Take this Advice: "Meow" :3

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
I have to say, I am amazed. Your insistence of posting in this lonely topic despite no one having done so in almost a year has given me the unique opportunity of bearing witness to the supreme usefulness of your post and the astonishing grammar that you possess. Not only have you made a title that seems to ignore all of the tips provided, but you have presented it in a unique manner which forgoes all precedence. Thank you.

Rep:
Level 74
A Fairy Very Wise
I Take My hat Down for you (Is that the Correct Saying?)
Sire.

I Hope That you Maintain Godhoodnessshipness Very Soon.

O. Well see you later :D
Take this Advice: "Meow" :3

Rep:
Level 73
I swear, Officer - she's over 18.
Well, I wish I noticed this article before starting Desorian Chronicles...How cliche does that sound, am I right?
I'm just glad that my next possible game I start to make can have a much better name now!

I love the second-person titles, to be honest. "The World ends with You", a popular RPG series, of course, may sound accusitory, but I find that it makes the game seem that much more epic. If a title like that is directed at the buyer, it makes them seem like they're the holder of a destiny or fate, and I think that it really sets a tone for the game before the experience even starts. =)

Great article, Mantik. I love reading all of these stickies!

Rep:
Level 70
need help with iphone game
do you guys have any good names for an iphone game? because they have much different names than say p.c games.
currently making: iphone game

TIPS NEEDED!

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
do you guys have any good names for an iphone game? because they have much different names than say p.c games.

That's like saying "I'm writing a book, what should I call it?". You've given us no information what-so-ever, how are we to recommend you a name?

That said, short, snappy names seem to be common for most simple iPhone games: Angry Birds, TinyWings, Fruit Ninja, etc.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 70
need help with iphone game
i was HOPING that it could be a game set in the medival times, about sword fighting and such
currently making: iphone game

TIPS NEEDED!

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
You could call it: "Sword Fighting and Such in the Medieval Times for iPhone".
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 71
Current project: Legend of Chaos (RMXP)
i was HOPING that it could be a game set in the medival times, about sword fighting and such

Medieval Madness?
Current project: Legend of Chaos (RMXP)

Progression
Story: 13%
Characters: 25%
Classes: 25%
Map: 0%
Demo: 0%

Rep:
Level 66
Haven't been on for ages -.-
well done and bravo!

Rep:
Level 43
Somewhat got a project? (\ô/)
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
Hello, I got 3 different Projects I'm working on and I want to ask, which one of the whriten are the best. Maybe there are better titles, I only want to know. ;)

1. Dimensional Chaos, San Sekai, The Way It Ends (I know the second one is not really original. ;) )
2. Dangerous / Complicated Love, Yuri No Monogatari (That one is kinda wrong, don't know), Unknown Threat/Danger/Menace
3. Four Souls, Fantasy Worlds, Change The Worlds Future (Maybe the last one is to long. ;) )

I would be glad, if I could get some help if someone of these titles are okay or good, thanks in advance. :)

Sorry for Necroposting, I readed the date to late. @.@
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:03:18 PM by Miriam Blutleer »

Rep: +0/-0Level 63
RM2K Master

Titling Tips
•   Fragmented prepositions (To Kill a Mockingbird, Until I Find You)
These titles add a sense of mystery and incompletion to a work. Is it wrong to kill a mocking bird? What’ll you do until you find me? While these titles can be tricky (and rarely brief), they usually have a poetically pleasing rhythm and often demand that the reader read on.

•   Adjectives following nouns as to suggest action (Paradise Lost, Atlas Shrugged)
This type of title is concise, yet kinetic. Two words that suggest that humanity has lost paradise, or that the greatest men on earth are abandoning their duties. These titles enjoy the brevity, brevity, brevity rule.

•   The work's motto or theme (All's Well That Ends Well, As You Like It)
Maybe Shakespeare’s the only one that does this, in which case we need to see more of it. They are not the briefest titles in the world, but their originality makes up for it.

•   Alliteration and assonance (Palace of Pleasure, Love’s Labours Lost, V for Vendetta)
These titles are first-and-foremost catchy. The mind, especially the English speaking mind, enjoys the association of starting sounds. The biggest risk with these titles is forcing the wording to fit the alliteration, which looses all effectiveness as a title.

•   Commands (Look Homeward, Angel)
One of the most psychologically powerful titles. A direct command is gripping to the point of nearly being invasive. The title alone can evoke emotion, as Thomas Wolfe’s work does for me. This is not customary for titles, but can be extremely effective for “selling” your game.

•   Second Person (The World Ends With You)
Similar to commands, titles that mention (or better, address) the reader/player/movie-goer draw said person in. (The world ends with me? Aw shoot. . . I’d better try and avoid that.) These titles can be awkward in their novelty and may make the consumer feel too uncomfortable, but they are a powerful way to go if you can.

•   Concepts separated by conjunctions (Pride and Prejudice, War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, Steam and Steel)
These are especially prevalent in literature. These titles help if you have strong themes in your work.  Especially if the themes are progressions (Crime and Punishment) or seeming opposites (War and Peace).

•   Allusion (The Doors of Perception, A Separate Peace)
Allusions can be pretentious. But otherwise they help to connect a broad theme of even whole story to another work (yours!). I don’t know how often allusion is used in video games, but I believe this community can break the mold.

•   “Zingers” (Memento, Brick, Crash, Taken, Halo)
Popular in movies and videogames, “Zingers” are quick, powerful, and hopefully memorable. They generally express a concept encapsulated in the work. It is often best for these titles to suggest action, as it adds to the excitement.

•   And, finally, the Golden Rule:
“Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.” –George Orwell, Politics and the English Language

Great titling tips. This information is very useful!

Rep: +0/-0Level 68
RMRK Junior
I find myself coming back to this, not to figure out what to name a game, but rather to help a friend with titling his story. Since this guide helps with more than just game design, the uses of these apply to stories, poems, movies, etc, as well. Thanks again for this, 'cause it really helps. Even though I've stepped away from game design for a while, I still write, and use these rules often in naming my stories. All this time later, and I still pop here occasionally to catch a reminder. XP
Thanks again.

Rep:
Level 55
Hello, I got 3 different Projects I'm working on and I want to ask, which one of the whriten are the best. Maybe there are better titles, I only want to know. ;)

1. Dimensional Chaos, San Sekai, The Way It Ends (I know the second one is not really original. ;) )
2. Dangerous / Complicated Love, Yuri No Monogatari (That one is kinda wrong, don't know), Unknown Threat/Danger/Menace
3. Four Souls, Fantasy Worlds, Change The Worlds Future (Maybe the last one is to long. ;) )

Don't really know what they are about exactly, but Imo :
1. The Way It Ends
2. Complicated Love
3. Four Souls / Fantasy Worlds (both are nice)