RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Effect of game makers on programming.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Now I understand that programs like RPG Maker and Game Maker, and the slew of other "maker" style programs have opened a gateway for those who are willing to create, but not willing to learn many of the complexities it takes to create a full fledged video game, through the use of programming. I do not have a real stance on this topic but, I really want to hear what others have to say about this. Do you believe game makers may take away the ambition to learn how to code for some, and make a truly successful career in game making for themselves, or does it actually increase there ambition to learn the more complex tools of the trade? Now I speak of course, only of those who have had ambitions of becoming a video game creator, not those who are just being a hobbyist. Thank you for your input.
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
I think people who use RPG maker are not very serious, so yes, it may keep them from ever getting into serious programming. Unless, of course, they grow tired with the limitations of RPG maker, in which case the person may go and learn ruby or something -_o.

Anyhow, for hobbyists, RPG maker provides the bulk of the engine, so it's easier for the hobbyist to keep on going.

aNYHOW I think my point was something like RPG maker provides an easier out for people to make games, and they'll probably only get into serious programming if they get sick of the engine limitations -_o.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
honestly, it's quite simple if you ask me.

if they put in the effort, and learn the skills, their game will kick ass.
if they're lazy and don't? it'll suck.
either someone has the drive to make an awesome game, or they just stop altogether.
I really don't mind RPG Maker, because if someone can't find the effort to work with RM, they'd never have stuck with it for real.

so it really doesn't matter in the long run.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
I stand with Namkor in this one, like everything in life for something to be good and worth one must devote time and work to do it, and strive to perfect it every day.
"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo"

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Hey man, I just wanted to say,

If you see a post that hasn't been posted for like two weeks, it's probably on it's way to being dead. It's not actually that bad to post in two week old ones, it's like the topic is on it's way to being dead. On occasion, people will take that half-dead guy and be like "LIVE DAMMIT! LIVVVVEE!" and that's alright. but most of the time, half-dead people die, and we move on. See, if we haven't posted in a topic for like two weeks, then we probably don't care anymore. I'm sorry. I know they're interesting. And posting in a two week old topic isn't really a crime. But reviving several half-dead topics gets sort of annoying.

Anyways, if no one has posted in a topic for like two weeks, then i'd move on unless you have some ridiculously informative and very enlightening perspective on things. I just thought you might like to know~

Rep:
Level 84
Hey man, I just wanted to say,

If you see a post that hasn't been posted for like two weeks, it's probably on it's way to being dead. It's not actually that bad to post in two week old ones, it's like the topic is on it's way to being dead. On occasion, people will take that half-dead guy and be like "LIVE DAMMIT! LIVVVVEE!" and that's alright. but most of the time, half-dead people die, and we move on. See, if we haven't posted in a topic for like two weeks, then we probably don't care anymore. I'm sorry. I know they're interesting. And posting in a two week old topic isn't really a crime. But reviving several half-dead topics gets sort of annoying.

Anyways, if no one has posted in a topic for like two weeks, then i'd move on unless you have some ridiculously informative and very enlightening perspective on things. I just thought you might like to know~

Oh, I actually did not notice it, I had notice it warns you when the post is really, really, old but considering it was on the top row I sincerely had not seen it. I'll start checking for the last post date more accurately now and not waiting for the forum to tell me if it was posted really long ago.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:49:45 AM by Reigetsu »
"Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo"

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Don't worry about it. We've all posted in old topics when we start out  :tpg:

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
If you have a great game making career using basic programs such as RPG Maker and Game Maker, it's you, not the program. I don't believe that these programs can carry someone through a long career in game making. I believe they can start a career in game making however.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
WHAT DID I SAY?!

Nah, I'm just kidding.

No, no i'm not.

Necroposting isn't cool D8

Rep:
Level 56
Dragon agent
Even though I consider myself a programmer (started with Turbo Pascal when I was 10, then there was Delphi, though nowadays when I want to develop non-game app it is either C#+Qt (rarely wxWidgets for C#) or Java), I actually have nothing against lowering barrier of entry for people who can't program. This is always a good thing.

Actually good tool makes it more likely that what you'll create is good.

Let's use graphic software as an example. Yes, you can paint Mona Lisa in MS Paint (analogy to actual programming language), but you'll be better off using Photoshop or GIMP (game making software). Your work most likely will be of better quality in latter case with less struggle unless you won't put any work into it.

Of course there is good and bad game making software. Game Maker may look like coolest kid in the block, with some good games made with it, but in reality it is some creepy guy that offer you a candy if you enter his car. It is real struggle to work with. I'm not even talking about GML, which has sane syntax, I'm mainly talking about the fact you most often spend time of making something "just work" instead of making content for your game.

You're in this case better off with thing like MMF (now Clickteam Fusion), Construct 2, or Game Develop (though IMO last one is winner here). Unity is also good bet as working with it is dream, even though you'll have to write some code.
You can also use genre-specific tool, if it exist for genre you want to make and you don't need anything weird. There is Jumpcraft for platform games (though don't buy that so-called "Standard" version for $15 - it is more of a demo and you'll feel scammed. Better go with $49.95 full version), Adventure Game Studio for point&clicks and for RPGs... well, if you are user of this site, you probably know the answer ;).

Picking right tool for your game is nothing to be ashamed of and if you decide that real game programming, with reinventing the wheel all the time is thing for you, be my guest.
Rave Darkhog Darkhogini. PhD in scamwareology, learned at Stencil University LLC.